Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Link
  • 2 Post By Twoshotkill

Thread: stop problems

stop problems

Hi All I have a young dog shes a fantastic hunter heres the problem. she gets to far out in front an I cant get here back quietly. also she points anything which is good and she will stand for that but will chase rabbits etc and her ears disapair.

I have had her on a lead but as you all know that's a pain in the ass in the bush.
    I can get her to stay in close when walking her etc but as all you with dogs know they change when hunting.

Any ideas you have will be appreciated.

Link
    I'm no dog trainer mate but here's what worked for me.
    Kept him on a rope initially till got a few deer under his belt, once he got a bit older I'd carry a stick with me to give him a tap when he started to creep foward. Once he got that if he did get out I'd stand still and wait for him to look back and give him the "here" signal.
    He's 2 now and quietened down a Bit, managed to track a deer with him for about 45 min through bush the other weekend before dropping it from 15m. Stayed at my side for most but had to stop a couple times as he started to edge in front. Mines the same, he loses his ears a bit when on game, but I'd say as she gets older and a bit more training things will start to click? Getting her to respond to a quiet " tut tut" or a tap on the hip for here will help with quiet comms in the bush. FYI he's a gsp
    samba likes this.

I had the same problem. Tie a small rope (about 6m) to his collar and let it drag on the ground behind him. If he gets any more than a meter in front of you, stand on the rope and dont continue untill he/she returns to where you want him to be.
    I dont recomend you do this while carrying a heavy pack tho!
    I was suprised how well it works.
    The other one i have done is if the dog "turns its ears off" i stop what i am doing imediatly and walk at a fast pace directly at him, if i get there he gets a smack.....
    After a while i only get a few steps and he knows he is in trouble and gets in line real fast.

This is what i have been doing and it seems to be working but im also watching for other ways on this
    samba and Hoeholt like this.