Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Training techniques

Training techniques

Hey Iv got this pup. He won't be a hunting dog I wouldn't think but what do you guys like to use to get good stay and recall of your bush dogs. Iv started with clicker training the basics but just wanting some opinion. The Google tells me too many ways and I would rather hear from people that have done it here.
    Thanks in advance

Sent from the swamp

Anyone done click training or does the lack of reply mean na it's all bollocks

Sent from the swamp

Ejected
    This really comes down to how far you want to go with it.
    I've never used click training but it must work seeing as how I hear about it every few months.

Myself for the stay stuff I prefer to work first from a lead then without.
    It's good to teach them hand signals at the same time.
    Pointer likes this.

Yeah the hand signal thing comes natural with the method Iv been watching on you tube. This Yankee lady can Make one of her 3 dogs go from a run to a sit stand or down from a fair way away.

Sent from the swamp

ok my 2 cents worth.....stay is a redundant command....it is a sit which is a one way command eg sit until told to "move on" "come here" "away back" "get on the back ya mongrel" etc
    another discussion on this elsewhere came to same conclusion .
    recall= come here
    those two commands are VITAL no matter what you do with dog...it can save dogs life.
    they are BOTH non negotiable if you give command you enforce it WHATEVER IT TAKES
    the single hardest thing/biggest problem will be family and others giving "sit down" not realising it is so important (Ive pondered weather to teach dog this command with other verbal instruction eg platapus/ rumplestiltskin etc )
    dog sits UNTILL you tell it to move
    hope that helps its MY THOUGHTS and what works for me.

Yep that has the same as she teaches on vid. Her 3 are sit or stand or down and then a release

Sent from the swamp

Ejected
    You answered a question that you didn't even know Micky. It's fine for other people to tell a dog to sit. In fact it's expected., which is why sit and stay are two different commands.

I had a dog that when told to sit would sit and stay. What a pain in the arse that was. She sat so well that she got forgotten many times.

so.....dog chasing rabbit across field toward road with car bearing down...."SIT" you scream dog plants arse then gets up and carries on. as sit doesn't mean to STAY sitting until told otherwise.
    if you tell MY dog to sit...I will move it on......straight away and explain why.
    telling someone elses dog that's being a pain to F#%K OFF is fine in fact its expected
    well that's what works for mine anyway...if they annoying you feel free to tell them to F off

I don't usually wade into the training method threads as one, nobody really wants to know when they ask questions, most people have a preconceived idea of how it should be, and two, I don't care enough to comment. My dogs work for me and with me, at a good level, that's all that matters.

But I will make one observation about this thread. Nobody here has asked what you expect this dog to do when finished. What is the goal? If you don't have an idea of the outcome how can you possibly go about reaching that outcome?

If it is to be a pet as you say, and not a hunting dog which, unlike pets, have to operate in while in high drive, and high distraction environments then clicker training may be fine - I have no experience with clickers. However, if it is to be a hunting dog, throw the clicker away. Basic (and essential) obedience like sits and recalls can be taught by more conventional methods. Sits at distance are built up to by gradually increasing the distance of the sit each time while maintaining the ability to enforce it in the learning stages. Recalls personally I use a whistle as my dogs often operate well beyond voice range. with a whistle its best taught early, a few peeps on the whistle as a pup, whilst crouching down or laying down and id be surprised if that pup didn't bowl you over to try and lick your face.
    Last edited by Pointer; 03-06-2015 at 10:10 AM.

Ejected
    First sentence pointer

Ejected
    First mistake Micky is using a voice command for stop. ALWAYS a whistle and that is an absolute. Voice is fine for close but why confuse the mutt with unneeded commands? Is it going to hear you when it further out? You can yell your arse off but don't blame the dog when it can't hear you.
    In a hunting situation with deer anyway, you do NOT want to be speaking.

Whistle and hand signals mean you are teaching it two things. For me it's always a dropping whistle for stop. Two rising for come. Then whatever for a left or right, in fact for those I use a hand signal if I'm training for that.

I don't care if people tell my dogs to sit, that's fine. They expect it and so do I. For me it's a throw away command and a bit like teaching dogs to roll over and 'play dead'. If they don't who cares???
    R93 and chrome like this.

Hey guys thanks for some info.
    And yes I did have preconceived ideas to this process and I think that most training ways work. I feel like the clicker is good for straight up early days training but from what I can gather is that I don't really need to continue with it.
    The whistle is a given as I always carry one when I'm out with the dog. In closer I can whistle fine too
    I'm really just looking at what's useful from a bush point of view as well because he is just a pet but he WILL be at my side on the odd bush mission for exercise.
    All I really want to achieve as well is to not be the dickhead at the park yelling like a prik as my stupid dog bowls over every child and fluffy dog in the area. With no respect to manners.
    Just a good allround pet/mate

What I'm working on at the minute is his bark when left alone.
    I give him a growl and a grab round the scruffy neck when he's barking and once he's settled again he gets a pat and a scratch
    Sound about right??

Sent from the swamp

Quote Originally Posted by chrome View Post
    Hey guys thanks for some info.

What I'm working on at the minute is his bark when left alone.
    I give him a growl and a grab round the scruffy neck when he's barking and once he's settled again he gets a pat and a scratch
    Sound about right??

Sent from the swamp

so if I am pissed off being tied up...I bark..boss gives me a shake...then I GET A PAT..

do you see it????

and wirehair sit= PIT PIT whistle for me both are interchangeable . but I SEE POINT YOU MAKING if I enforce whistle and throw away voice....that's like using rumplestiltskin..my command is the one dog needs to listen to.
    all good interesting varied points of view.

from my experience if your dog is quiet enough on a lead taking it walkies on armed tramps in the boonies is no issue...I do it with mine.

Training techniques

Yeah I see it. It's what comes up a lot if you google it. Give him a telling off and walk away. Once he's been quiet for a decent spell. ya go in and give him a pat

What should I do??
    Iv probably read too many ways now ha I'm just getting confused myself

Sent from the swamp

what you do is up to you.
    myself...... get as close as possible to kennel without dog seeing you then quickly move in very aggressively giving good telling off or smack on bum etc etc etc etc then go away again..inside for cuppa tea etc BEFORE letting now quiet dog off..assuming that you were going to let dog off....
    same when we get home, if dogs bouncing around on chain whinging etc they stay there for a time before letting them off once they calm.
    the pat isn't needed...you have disciplined dog....why pat/praise afterwards???
    garden hose n sprinkler set up close to kennel with tap you can reach works sometimes..hint here nylex fitting will fit wash house taps.