Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Two lessons learnt today!

Two lessons learnt today!

I took my young dog (Jack Russel/Beagle) for a walk in the local forest this afternoon and driving back home I had the rear windows partly open to let in some air. I had just got up to 100 k's when I saw a white flash in the side mirror and saw my dog rolling along the middle of the road. Luckily the following cars stopped and I pulled a fast U'y and he was running around seemingly unhurt. I scooped him up and he luckily landed on his head (the toughest part of him!). He had lost a few minor patches of fur on his forehead, a small graze on his chin and a damaged claw. No broken bones, just a dented pride. He had stood on the electric rear window button on my HiLux and just jumped out. Hopefully he has learnt not to jump from a moving vehicle, and I have certainly learnt to use the window lock button!

Geeze that was a bit of luck, they can bleed internally.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Wow that could have been so much worse. We like to think our best friends are smart but sometimes you have to wonder?
    veitnamcam, BSA270 and 40mm like this.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

MSL
    My blue heeler jumped off the tray of my ute a 100, much the same outcome. He jumped straight back on sheepishly. He had broken the clip on his chain, lunging at a passing car, as he liked to do. The next car, he lunged, but no chain to stop him.
    Another time, driving along the exact same stretch of road. I noticed something odd about the shadow my ute was casting into the opposite lane. My kelpy was on the bloody roof of the ute!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yikes sounds like a right scene. Lucky it turned out ok in the end. I've seen a few dogs half leaning out of windows and loose on the back of utes, it puts the shits right up me.
    Just not worth the risk in my book.
    Micky Duck, norsk and 40mm like this.

NRT
    Beagle bit saved him ,they have that look like what

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Bloody dogs aye? Just when you least expect it …………. dumb shit from the most intelligent among them.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    One lucky hound, for sure.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

We were on our way to zomewhere to shoot something as kids.
    The dog on the back of the ute jumped off at about 50km and belly flopped as it was overweight.
    Poor old Britania, she was ok though.

And only a couple years ago, my friend was on his way to Corromandel in his camper. With his two killer cats in the back of the camper.... just so happened to look in the mirror at the right time and saw one of these expensive creatures of his getting rag dolled down the road at 90/100kmh
    The thing had made it through a slightly open window in the 'above cab quarters' so about three metres up, and at speed!

He couldnt find it so left a jumper of his and came back a couple days in a row and eventually got the thing back.
    Use enough gun

Many years ago my cobbers Chesapeake Retriever (a very impressive and useful dog) jumped off the back of his Silverado at 80 KM/H trying to catch a topdressing aircraft that was passing very close. Both survived but the big dog wasn't quite the same after . . . .

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Yeah, my blue heeler opened the back window the same. Gave me a hua of a fright when I saw her front paws over the door in the side mirror, she thought it was great hanging out in the breeze. Window lock on after that.

Glad to hear the dog is well as it could have gone a lot worse.

I was driving home in outback Australia back in the 1990s. A farmer on the side of the road flagged me down and explained one of his cattle dogs had come off his ute tray and had brain damage. He couldnt bring himself to put it down and asked if I would do it for him as he tried to hand me an enormous sledge hammer. I told him I had a rifle in the truck and sorted it out for him. Was definitely shaken after that unexpected stop-off.
    zimmer and Micky Duck like this.

One other bit of advice I picked up is to have dogs head on the passengers side. A bumble bee at 100kmhr beats something coming off a head on vehicle at 200kmhr. I keep the canopy side sliding door a jar for mine

Tail gate dropped today on my bt50 with the 2 dogs in the back(canopy on)heard the thump but was going around a corner at the time thought I had clipped the curb,drove another 4km and got a Hua of a fright when the pup greeted me as I got out of the truck,lucky he waited till we got home to hop out!

I try to be vigilant about having my dog either clipped on with short center leash on the deck or if she's really lucky the back seat with window down just enough for a nose..
    But then I did get out the back of Dad's XC at about 80kph cos I didn't want to spend the night at my cousin's.
    7mmsaum, rugerman and Micky Duck like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.