Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By kawhia
  • 1 Post By top gun

Thread: Visla's for hunting venisons & roadrunners?????????

Visla's for hunting venisons & roadrunners?????????

One day when I have sold my shop ( Serious - Rotorua ) I'm going to get another versatile gundog for hunting deer ( mainly sneeka's) & roadrunner /pheasant crosses.

I'd like the opinion of people who use Vislas, on these two challenges, as to how they perform in the bush & out in the field????

I currently have a 6 years old wirehair who is a lovely obedient bitch but very noisy ( puffing mainly) when I'm trying to sneak into a hot Sika spot. I'm sure the hua's can hear her coming!!!!

I've seen some amazing youtube clips on vislas & need convincing from previous & current owners as to whether I'm on the right track.

All constructive comments appreciated.

Cheers.

u tube clips of working deer in nz are pretty well where the breeds strength is, they do require a soft handler to train that little drive out of them for deer.
    u tube clips of them working upland game over seas is not the situation here, a decent spaniel will run rings around them.
    there are a few good examples, but not many and in my opinion sit just above the current nz gene pool of weimaraners in ability.
    a noisy wire could be a health issue or maybe a weight one ?
    Reindeer likes this.

My Wire never puffs or makes a noise at all. She's quiet in the bush. Certainly makes less noise than me.

Craigc has a Visla and she does the sneak on deer and is very active on birds. She has a lot of natural hunting ability. Her pups from 2 different sires have all turned out ok, according to what I have heard. She gets very cold, and requires lots more individual attention than the Wires that I know.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    go back to your Short Hairs ,they were OK
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Thanks for that Kawhia. Looks like I'll have a Visla for venisons & a wirehair for roadrunners???

Both the wirehairs that Ihave & have had had the same panting problem. Definitely not a health or weight issue. I can get up from sitting watching a clearing for 1/2 an hour, walk 20 meters & she's puffing again. No idea why but I'm sure that the wee jappers can hear her from miles away. I don't think the noise problem can be solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    My Wire never puffs or makes a noise at all. She's quiet in the bush. Certainly makes less noise than me.

Craigc has a Visla and she does the sneak on deer and is very active on birds. She has a lot of natural hunting ability. Her pups from 2 different sires have all turned out ok, according to what I have heard. She gets very cold, and requires lots more individual attention than the Wires that I know.
    Thanks Tahr. Comments appreciated. I don't know why my two wires have had the same problem. They came from two completely different lines. Luck of the draw I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    go back to your Short Hairs ,they were OK
    Yes Axe, I've had 3 GSP's & they were bloody marvellous bitches. It's a toss up between a new Visla or a GSP??? I have contacts for both. The Visla does interest me though, particularly having seen those video clips of that chap hunting venisons with one. The bloody dog could almost give him range & elevation!!!!!

the lines were likely not that different in regards to the wires....the gene pool is very tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post

And pigs and rabbits etc, very universal dog

This vid is of Fern who is out of Craigc dog. She has just turned 2, and now i really want to start getting her in on some bush deer, Is great in the open country, has had some encounters in the bush and certainly show the goods, just got to spend more time with her. Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdYNKsH0Pow

Hamish
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post
    And pigs and rabbits etc, very universal dog

This vid is of Fern who is out of Craigc dog. She has just turned 2, and now i really want to start getting her in on some bush deer, Is great in the open country, has had some encounters in the bush and certainly show the goods, just got to spend more time with her. Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdYNKsH0Pow

Hamish
    Excellent bit of video and amazing dog self control!!!! God knows what my bag would have done in that situation!!!
    HNTMAD likes this.

Gidday honest Dave as per our discussion today try Dave Wilson at huntsouth Te Anau for a good vizsla. Try and get a pup out of his dog 'moose' - see videos of him in action on their website. Cheers Jim

Thanks Jim. It was a VERY interesting chat with you today. I could talk with people( & listen a lot!!) about venison,pheasants & gundogs all day; so pop in anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by top gun View Post
    Thanks Jim. It was a VERY interesting chat with you today. I could talk with people( & listen a lot!!) about venison,pheasants & gundogs all day; so pop in anytime.
    Cant we all mate Dogs Stags Roosters and Tahr all i think about all day everyday I shot a neat Melanistic Rooster last season over my Brittany their primo on both birds and Deer I use mine on both but very hard to come by Get hold of the versatile gun dog association they should be able to put you on good working lines of vizlas