Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Vizsla kennel north island - recommendations please

Hi,

My last dog past away 2 years back and we are finally thinking we are ready for another pup, we are after a Vizsla pup. Just starting out trying to find a good breeder or lines, I'm not to worried about papers as long as the pups hunt well and have good temperament. In saying that we will probably start by looking at papered dogs, not sure why but Im constantly reading they will be more reliable.

Can any one recommend good breeders or give me any feedback of their experiences, pm is fine if you want to keep it on the down low.

The dog will hopefully be a multipurpose, ducks, pheasants, rabbits and hares and deer. We are northland based so allot of bird shooting through the season, deer stalking all year and rabbits in between for sanity walks.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

I see okiato kennels has some on trademe, does any one have any experience with them or their dogs?

Also what is the going rates for dogs, I have seen a range from $1200 to $2500 now, I haven't purchased a dog in years so I'm a bit out of touch, and my other dogs have been Labradors

@rusl for a Vizsla with good bloodlines i couldn't see you finding one for under $1500 now. There are few different FB pages that have hunting dogs for sale be worth a look.
    Labs are selling between $1200 and $2500 now.
    Also be aware it will be $350approx to fly a pup from south island but still worth it if you find what you are looking for.

I would suggest finding people (or a person) who feld trials their dogs or breed dogs specifically for working homes and have a chat good to them.

Its not easy to get info but for us the difference between our 2 previous pointers and our new wee one is night and day different. I don't see how it would be any different for Vizsla's

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    I would suggest finding people (or a person) who feld trials their dogs or breed dogs specifically for working homes and have a chat good to them.

Its not easy to get info but for us the difference between our 2 previous pointers and our new wee one is night and day different. I don't see how it would be any different for Vizsla's
    There is no vizsla bloodline in the country that can give you that comparison Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by kawhia View Post
    There is no vizsla bloodline in the country that can give you that comparison Mike.
    really, I'm supprised