Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Remington700.270
  • 2 Post By Twoshotkill
  • 2 Post By Pointer
  • 1 Post By distant stalker
  • 1 Post By Uplandstalker
  • 1 Post By Wirehunt

Thread: Vizsla wanted

Vizsla wanted

Kia ora all,

I have decided to purchase a Vizsla for deer indicating. I have had pig dogs in the past and had great success. I see that Vizsla's make good deer dogs so want to have a go wtih this breed for indicating deer. If anyone knows a good breeder from working blood lines or someone respectable who breeds them I would love to hear from you.

Cheers
    Wirehunt likes this.

Barat on here breeds them. I don't know what they're like but could be a place to start looking.

Sent from my MT27i using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

My son's bitch is on heat and is being mated. She has bred very well, and is the full sister of another outstanding and well known hunting Visla.
    She's a great dog herself. Excellent on deer, average (when compared to a pure water dog) but adequate in the water. Strong point and roads well.

Not sure if he will have spares 'cos he has a list. But you can try him.

He is on the other forum (F&H). Name CraigC. You can contact him through there or PM me.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Remington700.270 View Post
    Kia ora all,

I have decided to purchase a Vizsla for deer indicating. I have had pig dogs in the past and had great success. I see that Vizsla's make good deer dogs so want to have a go wtih this breed for indicating deer. If anyone knows a good breeder from working blood lines or someone respectable who breeds them I would love to hear from you.

Cheers
    I have just got one and have been looking for a couple of years between the Viszla and the Weimerana... I had almost given up on the Viszla because of the cues from the good breeders. There is a lady in Wanganui who has just had a litter of Weimeranas (well known breeder) if you are intrested.
    I got my Viszla from a couple who waited for years to get one and when the finaly got it they decided to head to Aussie and gave it to me.
    One thing i have learned is be prepared for an amazing amount of energy that does not seem to stop day after day even after they have grown out of the "puppy stage"
    And they get get boared verry quickly... and look for mischief.
    In saying this... I have only had mine hunting twice... The first time he didnt know what we were there for (luckly i shot a stag for him to learn) and the next time we went out his nose was on the job like i never thaught possable and led me in front of two animals on the first morning!

Good luck Rem700.270
    phillipgr and Gibo like this.

I have a 3 year Vizsla. I trust that given you have had dogs in the past, you know a little about own them. With a Vizsla, forget what you know and start over!

They are incredible dogs, hunt, point and retrieve. But they like to run too! BUt I'm sure you've done your homework. There are a few breeders out there, but try and get him from a hunting background, there are a lot being bread for showing, still, they will serve you well, proven lines help.

Lastly, the correct introduction to guns is really important. Sometimes he see me get the shotgun or rifle out and he's off hiding under the table. Other times, he bets me to the ute.

Dave Wilson
    Malhunting and Wirehunt like this.

I have had no real life experience with Vizla. I have only trained labs for ducks and pheasant and pig dogs for pigs ONLY. I am a little nervous about training a dog for deer given that there aren't a heck of a lot of deer to train it with and also having it 'stuck' to my leg while indicating. I am not sure how well a young dog will lead me to the animal while not being able to zigzag in the breeze. Thanks for your tips by the way...

Dont need to teach them to hunt, its in their blood. Just get good control and the rest will fall into place, they get plenty of wind without having to move far frm you provided you are thinking actively about wind direction and approach. You will already know most of this. More just to put your mind at ease.
    Read clarkes articles from.previous rod and rifle mags. Solid techniques in getting compliance and a dog that wants tonwork fro you rather than a dog that resentfully complies to avoid getting a hiding
    Wirehunt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Dave Wilson
    Mine is from Dave Wilson down south
    Pointer likes this.

Ejected
    He's the one that was doing the control work for doc in Fiordland with them isn't he?
    Pointer likes this.

HF1
    I know of a litter that is due in the south island very shortly. Theymay already be born. There might be a pup available. douschka.saunders@gmail.com

Yep Dave would be my bet, Home

Hi guys, If any of your bitches want to breed with Oskar ( my Vizsla) he's ready and willing to breed, he's been hunting deer since I got him at 6 months, he is now 6 years old, and has a few deer under his collar now.

Cheers

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by distant stalker View Post
    Dont need to teach them to hunt, its in their blood. Just get good control and the rest will fall into place, they get plenty of wind without having to move far frm you provided you are thinking actively about wind direction and approach. You will already know most of this. More just to put your mind at ease.
    Read clarkes articles from.previous rod and rifle mags. Solid techniques in getting compliance and a dog that wants tonwork fro you rather than a dog that resentfully complies to avoid getting a hiding
    that's everything you would want in a dog in the bush while stalking.