Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Working dog

Working dog

I know this is mostly a forum for hunting dogs but does anyone here have working dogs and have any advice?
    I have a kelpie x everything and have somewhat trained her to help shift stock. She can be really good going back and pushing them forward and I can target certain cows to paddock draft when she’s really listening but some days her wheels in her head fall off and she’s a pain in the ass. Some days I have to send her off to “push” the cows while I wind up a reel or if I’m slow and she will bolt towards them so fast that she ends up flying past 1 or 2 and spins them back the other way. This afternoon she was quiet bad and then she spun the whole herd which she knows not to do. Any ideas on how I can fix this? Keep her behind at all times and slow her down. She just gets really cocky and enthusiastic. To be fair I haven’t trained her as a serious working dog, more of a helping hand because the cows here are use to being shifted with dogs when the boss is here and can be really ignorant without one.
    Aside from this she’s used as a bit of an indicator and kill finder. A bit of an all rounder when she wants to be.

First thought is how old is she?
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Turned 3 in June. She’s a really clever dog and will change her habits with the correct work.

Sounds a bit like she is changing her habits to suit herself a bit now
    Either she is misinterpreting her "push" command or is just deciding to give them a good old chase around. Do you ever get her to bring the cows toward you while you are reeling the reel in to give them a new break ? could be she forgets if she is supposed to be bringing them to you, or push them away.
    It can be an age where they think they should be making the decisions Try a bit of obedience work just before you get the cows. Sit, come etc... and see if that helps.
    Otherwise maybe a bit of reinforcement with the commands, to remind her what you want and re-establish her need to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerman View Post
    Sounds a bit like she is changing her habits to suit herself a bit now
    Either she is misinterpreting her "push" command or is just deciding to give them a good old chase around. Do you ever get her to bring the cows toward you while you are reeling the reel in to give them a new break ? could be she forgets if she is supposed to be bringing them to you, or push them away.
    It can be an age where they think they should be making the decisions Try a bit of obedience work just before you get the cows. Sit, come etc... and see if that helps.
    Otherwise maybe a bit of reinforcement with the commands, to remind her what you want and re-establish her need to listen.
    Yeah she definitely is the type to think she knows best and would like to do what suits her. I find I have to be quiet hard on her.
    Generally we will go get the cows, I’ll stand to the side and tell her go back and she will head behind them and push them. I do have to be super firm so she goes right to the back/ behind them and not towards them and she will go where I point. Sometimes If I’m near the gate she will try come back to me instead of wait behind them which is a pain.
    If she has a fair bit of ground to cover she will run like a bullet, can’t put the breaks on quick enough and ends up amongst the back cows spinning them back. It’s like she’s just too quick and enthusiastic about it. It’s not too bad with cows because they know better but a real pain with heifers.
    These are dairy cows and I can have her sitting on the yard all milking and she will push the cows into the shed for me without getting in the way, she will stay behind them all milking.
    rugerman likes this.

coomon as hell with huntaways......its more FUN for the dog to bust up the mob scatter off a few then chase the crap out of them to get them back.... work on you stop whistle untill it is ROCK SOLID....and use it,just dont let dog get bowled by cow.when dog goes to split mob,haul on the brakes.
    rugerman and OPO like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    coomon as hell with huntaways......its more FUN for the dog to bust up the mob scatter off a few then chase the crap out of them to get them back.... work on you stop whistle untill it is ROCK SOLID....and use it,just dont let dog get bowled by cow.when dog goes to split mob,haul on the brakes.
    She’s such a cocky cunt. Took her to get the cows this morning, they are being a pain in the add at the moment with mating and chasing each other around in circles which doesn’t help, anyway told her to walk up while I wound a fence up, she took off pushed them and then it’s like she was trying to slow down but couldn’t and ended up flying up the side and spun the whole lot of them. Luckily when I called her back the way she went turned them back and they carried on as they should. I have a training collar which I have used with success so I’m going to charge it and put it back on her and hopefully get her stop buttons working correctly so she doesn’t set foot ahead of them at all. She was a real feral little pup when I got her and was actually out of control, she’s come a long way and has been doing really well but is getting a bit big for her boots and just being brainless.
    rugerman and Micky Duck like this.

Two ideas is she worked every day, it could be boredom causing pent up energy. Try running her for a bit to take the sting out so to speak. I had a beardie that was mental if not used for a few days a 2 k run cooled him off somewhat, after that he was a brilliant dog.
    Is she coming into season? Even if she's been spayed bitches can sometimes get a bit loopy.
    jakewire and kidmac42 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Two ideas is she worked every day, it could be boredom causing pent up energy. Try running her for a bit to take the sting out so to speak. I had a beardie that was mental if not used for a few days a 2 k run cooled him off somewhat, after that he was a brilliant dog.
    Is she coming into season? Even if she's been spayed bitches can sometimes get a bit loopy.
    She’s worked most days and actually more than usual at the moment but when she gets like this I tend to leave her home to save a headache. She does love to work and run and will go all day so maybe she just needs constant work alongside her training collar back on. She does get a bit loopy if she’s had a day off at home.
    Not sure she would be in season, she’s speyed and an only dog at the moment and haven’t seen any sign of it.
    Micky Duck likes this.

If she knows all the command's well then you can use the training collar but be careful not to ruin her and if you using the training collar only use it for one correcting command at a time. What's she like as a indicating dog on deer

Quote Originally Posted by hunt08 View Post
    If she knows all the command's well then you can use the training collar but be careful not to ruin her and if you using the training collar only use it for one correcting command at a time. What's she like as a indicating dog on deer
    I have used the training collar successfully with her, she was feral when we got her, no joke the vets even suggested euthanising her. I ran into a hunter out in the kaimais and she acted like a rabid mutt and he showed me the collar he had and so we gave it a go and it was a game changer. She’s a completely different dog now.
    She’s good with deer and has a great nose and is very careful in the bush. struggles to stay settled however especially as soon as the barrels lifted she would ride the bullet if she could. Great at finding the animal.
    I’m an amateur but she does the job well.
    She was brilliant getting cows today too. I Stood at the gate sent her off and she weaved behind them all the way out the paddock nice and relaxed.
    rugerman and Micky Duck like this.

Good news
    was there anything different today before the cow round up ?

Quote Originally Posted by rugerman View Post
    Good news
    was there anything different today before the cow round up ?
    No big changes I can think of, cows were down the back so she ran behind me all the way down and was probably more settled/tired. She also had the afternoon off yesterday so was possibly happy to be back out. I also fed her at lunch and she seemed more content.
    rugerman likes this.

mmm a bit tricky with more variables, but the easiest one to test next time the cows are close to the shed, is to run her along a long race for 15mins before getting the cows and see if she is a bit more settled when you send her in to get them.
    haha sounds like an intermittent electrical fault in a vehicle doesn't do it all the time but usually when it's the least convenient.
    Micky Duck likes this.

At times my dog Skye can be a pita like that. But she is such a good dog and a great mate that I can tolerate a fair bit. Since she was a pup we have gone for a walk nearly every day and it was on those early walks that she learnt most of the basic's. If we go out to work the cows too early she is sometimes too keen, so I get her to run with the bike for a paddock or 2, helps a lot. But the one command that seems to sort out a heap of problems is the stop command, I cant whistle so its all by voice or hand signals. And she will always stop for a loud "NO" or the hand signal for stop or lie. Get that right, particularly out on those early morning walks, and you should be able to then give the correct command to remedy what was starting to happen.

The boss has a lovely young lab and she cant help herself when she sees a hare or a parry - just takes off and chases them, following her nose for the next 15 minutes or more. This last week the boss was away and I had both dogs to walk each night and morning. The first time she took off I gave a loud NO several times - wasn't listening. When she came back I gave her a bloody good smacked bum. Tried it again, I yelled NO, she stopped, look at the hare, looked at me, looked at the hare and then came back very submissive. We carried on for our walk.
    Again yesterday she started after a hare, I yelled NO, she chased for a minute or 2 and then came back right to my side and I praised her for coming back. Next hare, she showed interest, but stopped immediately. Only 2 days of walking and a firm stop command and I think we have it sorted. After that stop command, you have their attention and you can give the command for what you want them to do. Dont leave the training to just on the job, 10 minutes of fun and instruction each day will work wonders.