Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Banned

x bred puppie for deer.

I was given one of the offspring from my heading dog who helped himself to a choccy lab.So i thought id see if she would go well in the bush, Boarder collie x choclate lab.
    She would be around 16 to 18 weeks now and she heals sits and follows pretty well.Im just thinking of a finder/mate up the bush for deer?.whens a good age to go up and so on.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    I was given one of the offspring from my heading dog who helped himself to a choccy lab.So i thought id see if she would go well in the bush, Boarder collie x choclate lab.
    She would be around 16 to 18 weeks now and she heals sits and follows pretty well.Im just thinking of a finder/mate up the bush for deer?.whens a good age to go up and so on.
    Should be good. I have always had borders on the farm and as pig and deer dogs. They are smarter than labs even though I run two black labs now.
    My labs were going into the duck possie at 20 weeks... not doing a lot but having fun.

I would be taking them as soon as they can keep up While not expecting to much but making sure she is having a good time.

My 1st dog was a lab x eye dog & was in the bush with me at 12 weeks .Had her find & point by 20 weeks,if she put nose down & tracked off just followed her.Once she saw the animal she would sit down ,just walk up behind her & take the shot.

Banned
    Sweet will take her next hunt and let you know how she went, did you have leads? long rope? or just let her stick with you and follow her if she scents like you say?

neckshot if you ask me your asking for trouble taking your pup out this early its to young , , have you introduced it to shot , will it heel when its scenting , can you stop it when its off the lead when you need to ? come back to you under heavy sent ? you need to train it bit more before you take it mate ,

I trained Kim with a check cord early on but only until had basic commands sorted & she knew how far she was allowed to hunt.
    Bush hunting was just a natural progression from that,may not work for every dog they're all have different. Had an old bush man tell me how to train her (my dad )

Banned
    Ok ill put her through a few senarios at a mates farm and see how she goes prior to a hunt.thanks mate all the advice is good advice.

I don't usually do the training advice thing as there are far more qualified than me to give it on here, but leave the dog at home until you have good control on it. The pup will gain nothing at this age, and you'll probably end up carrying it its that young

DOnt over complicate things. You need a deer dog to heel and thats about it. You can live with just about anything so long as it stays at your side...