Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch NZGR


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Suppressor sound testing

  1. #1
    DPT
    DPT is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    292

    Suppressor sound testing

    Hi All,

    We have started to do a few suppressor sound tests this week with the proper sound equipment (B&K 2209 with 4136 mic) using a factory Rem 700 308 sps, 24 with factory Winchester 150gr power point.

    Our standard over barrel suppressor with four baffles gives an average sound reduction of 21.92db Additional baffles give 1 to 2db sound reduction each, we tested up to 9 baffles that gave us an average reduction of 31.20db

    One of the test we thought would be fun was to try something we read in the book by Al Paulson: Suppressors ,history and performances volume one, on how to rig a suppressor test by using a liquid medium inside the suppressor to absorb some of the energy of the shot. (this reduced the first shot by nearly 8db more than a dry suppressor)

    Video bellow.

    R93 likes this.

  2. #2
    Member stretch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Clarks Beach, (South of) Auckland
    Posts
    1,545
    Why not make using a liquid medium a "feature". If it works, it works. Are there any detrimental effects to consider?

    Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    R93
    R93 is offline
    Member R93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Westland NZ, PNG
    Posts
    12,301
    Robbie Tiffen told me years ago that you could reduce the decibels by spraying CRC inside a suppressor but I never tried it.

    Interesting. I wonder what effect if any it would have on accuracy.

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    rossi.45 likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

  4. #4
    Member Feral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Palmy
    Posts
    331
    Would be interesting to see what other energy absorbing media can achieve - eg a silicon strip or washer on the face of each baffle, or even a suppressor design that was packed like a motorcycle muffler with fibrous material.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Waikato
    Posts
    2,323
    Liquid usually equals weight. I can put up with a few decibels for a bit less weight.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    gisborne
    Posts
    344
    @DPT I thought the suppressor would have more reduction of db than that. It sure seems like it when using one. Why a 24" barrel?? not many people would be using a barrel this long. Great to see you doing the sound test

  7. #7
    Member Marty Henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Tararua
    Posts
    1,882
    The Decibel scale is not linear its logarithmic so 101 db is 10 times louder than 100db if my maths is right. So the unsupressed rifle is 130% louder. A pretty impressive sound reduction.

  8. #8
    P38
    P38 is offline
    Member P38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hastings
    Posts
    5,717
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    @DPT I thought the suppressor would have more reduction of db than that. It sure seems like it when using one. Why a 24" barrel?? not many people would be using a barrel this long. Great to see you doing the sound test
    @bigbear

    every 3dB reduction is a halving of the sound energy.

    Every 10dB reduction a ten fold reduction in sound intensity.

    So a 21dB reduction via the DPT supressor is quite a significant reduction

    Cheers
    Pete
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

    After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

  9. #9
    Member Feral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Palmy
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    The Decibel scale is not linear its logarithmic so 101 db is 10 times louder than 100db if my maths is right. So the unsupressed rifle is 130% louder. A pretty impressive sound reduction.
    And Sound level reduces by -6bB every time the distance doubles, so reduction at point of firing pays dividends at distance.
    Beaker, Marty Henry, Tommy and 1 others like this.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Central Otago
    Posts
    404
    The first shot is loudest because of the oxygen in the suppressor, subsequent shots are quieter because the gas from the previous shot has displaced the oxygen. Similarly oil, CRC etc. achieves a similar result except the subsequent shots are quieter because of the firing gases mixed with oil fumes/smoke. That effect wears off after 4-5 shots and you get back to the normal repeat shot level. Sound absorbing materials, packing etc. reduce the effectiveness of any suppressor by reducing the volume needed to trap the gases. The most efficient units are filled with inert gas and sealed with thin plastic baffles. Such things are used by special forces but are only effective for the first couple of shots, and are not practical for normal use. 30 decibels of suppression is about the practical limit, and most suppressors are in the low to mid 20's which is fine for normal use, giving effective ear protection and confusing game.
    Pengy, Nickoli, Carpe Diem and 2 others like this.

  11. #11
    Member Nibblet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    HBC, NORTH of Auckland
    Posts
    5,115
    Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    The first shot is loudest because of the oxygen in the suppressor, subsequent shots are quieter because the gas from the previous shot has displaced the oxygen. Similarly oil, CRC etc. achieves a similar result except the subsequent shots are quieter because of the firing gases mixed with oil fumes/smoke. That effect wears off after 4-5 shots and you get back to the normal repeat shot level. Sound absorbing materials, packing etc. reduce the effectiveness of any suppressor by reducing the volume needed to trap the gases. The most efficient units are filled with inert gas and sealed with thin plastic baffles. Such things are used by special forces but are only effective for the first couple of shots, and are not practical for normal use. 30 decibels of suppression is about the practical limit, and most suppressors are in the low to mid 20's which is fine for normal use, giving effective ear protection and confusing game.
    So if you sprayed a heap of argon say into your suppressor before firing you would have a better result?

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Central Otago
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    So if you sprayed a heap of argon say into your suppressor before firing you would have a better result?
    Absolutely!
    WallyR likes this.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    southland
    Posts
    766
    Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    So if you sprayed a heap of argon say into your suppressor before firing you would have a better result?
    i can just picture you carting a bottle of argon up the hill with a tube from it into your suppressor to keep the noise level down.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    southland
    Posts
    766
    what do those neoprene sleeves accomplish over suppressors .is it for noise reduction on firing .

  15. #15
    Member Nibblet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    HBC, NORTH of Auckland
    Posts
    5,115
    Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    i can just picture you carting a bottle of argon up the hill with a tube from it into your suppressor to keep the noise level down.
    I've always considered carrying a can around for those people who can't take hints and keep banging on, spray some argon at them for sound insulation so I can't hear them anymore, now I have two reasons it's a real possibility

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    chainsaw and berg243 like this.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Dusky Sound
    By veitnamcam in forum Fishing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-02-2017, 01:33 AM
  2. Suppressor Recoil Reduction Testing???
    By LJP in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-04-2016, 08:37 PM
  3. New sound meter
    By ChrisF in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-09-2015, 08:43 AM
  4. That wonderful sound
    By big_foot in forum Hunting
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-12-2014, 08:09 PM
  5. Testing the new DELTA suppressor at 534 yards
    By ARVOindustries in forum Shooting
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 02-09-2013, 11:24 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!