Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: New Varimax Quick-change muzzlebrake

New Varimax Quick-change muzzlebrake

This is the ideal muzzlebrake for guys who regularly traverse between bush hunting and open country shooting. Leave the brake on the rifle, simply turn the braking function on or off as required. No point of impact shift.

Huge amount of work and testing to get the design right in the end. Copyright/Registered design. Patent pending.

See my website for more info: www.muzzlebrakes.co.nz

or the Youtube short demo vid: Muzzlebrake Short Video Varimax QC - YouTube

VARIMAX®-QC.

Name:  P1030005.jpg
Views: 2695
Size:  268.3 KBName:  P1030006.jpg
Views: 1821
Size:  286.7 KB

Mainly intended for lightweight hunting rifles in .223Rem to .30-06 range of calibres. Maximum calibre limit 7mm Rem Mag or .300 Win Mag. (Not suitable for ultra-mag sizes cartridges, or anything .338cal or bigger).

now those are a cool idea.
    Just been watching a few of your break comparision videos.
    So even with this breaks port closed it still reduces recoil by 17%? How does that work?

Awesome design man!

Banned
    +1, those prices are just to supply Break?

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    now those are a cool idea.
    Just been watching a few of your break comparision videos.
    So even with this breaks port closed it still reduces recoil by 17%? How does that work?

Awesome design man!
    Thanks for the comments.

Yes, that is what the results from the tests show. I don't know why, but i suspect that enough gas disturbance/resistance is caused by the brake internals, that it minimizes the rapid discharge of the propellant gas to atmosphere, which is usually the main cause of the recoil forces.

I guess you could say it kind of acts like a 'mini-suppressor' when the ports are blocked off.

When you have a proper test-jig set-up like that you start to discover things and little improvements that you just can't tell from the usual shoot-and-guess methods.....

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    +1, those prices are just to supply Break?
    yes, these prices there are for the brake only. Fitting is additional cost -depends alot on whether the brake has to be indexed or not, what type of rifle, amount of finishing work required, etc.

I have been trying to get the price of the Quatromax and Tresamax brakes down a bit, but these new Varimax brakes are taking a long time to make. I doubt i will be able to get the price down much on these - but will see how it goes. If they are popular and i can do bigger numbers of them, then this should help. Cheers.

Thats an impressive piece of engineering there!!!
    Is there an option for one where the ports can be opened/closed without needing a tool to loosen locking mechanism?

Quote Originally Posted by distant stalker View Post
    Thats an impressive piece of engineering there!!!
    Is there an option for one where the ports can be opened/closed without needing a tool to loosen locking mechanism?
    Thanks. Yep, there has been alot of time and effort go into this particular project over the last 12 months or more. Alot of prototypes made, and torture testing!

Actually this version of the Varimax (QC) is the one that doesn't require a tool to change the sleeve position. Hence the knurled end-cap. Check out the link to the short you-tube clip (listed in first posting) and you can see the the sleeve position can be changed in seconds by hand, without tools, and locked in either position so that it won't move when the rifle is fired.

The earlier versions of the Varimax all had a locking screw or detent ball system, and were shorter, but i think this latest version is the best and most practical. Though it is a little bit longer than the others. Pics of both versions are shown on my website.

Just got back from the range this arvo, and while we were there I test-fired a customers .308win with one of these fitted. Good recoil reduction, the brake self-tightens when you fire the rifle, and no point-of-impact shift between ports open/ports closed. Awesome! Cheers.

AB Precision
    Looks bloody good Dean, very nice idea for the average hunter has the all round rifle one of these would be handy not taking it on an off with POI shifts

My new Varimax QC is being fitted at Gunworks this week and very much looking forward to testing it.
    Quality bit of kit that should be great for the sort of hunting I do! :-)
    distant stalker likes this.

Looks great Dean, really slick looking product.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

Some extra pics from recent installation of a Varimax-QC to a customers rifle. External surfaces beadblasted to blend with existing finish on stainless barrel.

Locating/locking pin indexed at 6 0'clock position. Rear of brake body tapered down to be just above barrel diameter.

Locking sleeve position can be changed in a matter of a few seconds. No tools required! Brake also self-tightens on barrel thread as it fires, so loctite not required.

I am only supplying these on installs i do myself at present. The time taken to make these is 4-6 times that of a normal brake. Will be looking to be able to supply to other gunsmiths in the trade later in the year, hopefully.

Name:  P1030161.jpg
Views: 1237
Size:  238.9 KBName:  P1030162.jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  295.0 KBName:  P1030164.jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  293.1 KBName:  P1030165.jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  441.3 KB
    Bryan and Brenick like this.

Update as of January, 2014. This invention has now been granted a Patent by the Intellectual Property Office of New Zealand (IPONZ).

Patent number: NZ 611493

Quite possibly the first firearms-related patent to be actually be granted in NZ for years (or decades?).

Also, I am now in a position to be able to supply my muzzlebrakes as retail sales, or directly to other gunsmiths for fitting, providing that the fitting instructions/guidelines (supplied with all my brakes) are followed.

No need to import something from overseas, the best muzzlebrakes are being made right here in NZ. Test results (as well as numerous positive feedback reports from satisfied customers) have proven the superior performance of my designs in comparison with all others of comparable size.

Email me to purchase any of my muzzlebrakes, thread-caps, etc., or for dealer/gunsmith enquiries.

Dean.
    DAF, Bryan and camo wsm like this.

with that thread on the end a slip over suppressor would be nice
    mikee likes this.

What does the Varimax QC weigh ?

Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    What does the Varimax QC weigh ?
    An unfitted Varimax-QC weighs 141grams - that is with the 1/4" minimum bore hole. Obviously gets a little lighter when opening up to 7mm or .30cal clearance.

All stainless steel for durability and strength. The added mass on the end of the barrel enhances accuracy by stabilizing the vibration profile at the muzzle - right where the bullet exits.