Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By 300wsm for life
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By bigbear

Thread: Deer head repair

Deer head repair

Am wanting to replace a skull on a deer head due to damage, am going to take a couple of measurements between some off the antler points before remove antlers from damage skull. I have another replacement skull and have cut of antlers under coronets off.
    I was thinking of using a piece of wooden dowel and drilling into antler then into skull and gluing ???
    Any one got a better idea?
    Also any ideas of what glue to use, also got a piece of bone to glue back on another boiled skull

Anyone recommend a glue then??

Epoxy glue would work best. Using the dowel rod is a good idea. I have stuck Chamois horns on with epoxy.
    bigbear likes this.

taxidermists use a square steel rod so it index"s properly...if you have 2-3" insertion you wont need glue......makes it possible to get whopper head into a house and through doors.
    Hunteast likes this.

@Micky Duck the video i found (overseas) they still use glue when indexing, they cap the skull as normal, then use a 25mm spade bit drill up through the skull cap up into the antler, glue a piece of box section in. Once its set they cut under the coronet through box section and put a solid key between the two.
    This is no massive head. Fixed antlers will work, just a very nice head my son shot and i stuff the skull and trying to fix it up for him
    Micky Duck likes this.

something like F2 should hold it together without issues.

When we wanted to bring back our red deer from NZ to Alaska, I took photos and measurements then cut off one antler so that our box would fit more easily as baggage. Once home I found the drill bit to fit threaded rod (all thread we call it), drilled the antler first and screwed in the all thread with epoxy. Then I lined up the rod on the skull to drill, add epoxy and screwed the antler to the skull. Potentially the antler could be removed for transport. Solid and looks very natural.

Yes 2 pack epoxy will hold it firm. Have used it to hold a bolt in the back of a skull