Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Native bird mounts?

Native bird mounts?

We had a wood pigeon (Kereru) hit the house window and break its neck and die recently. One of several who've misjudged their flight paths this year, the only one that has died fortunately. It's in a freezer at the moment.

Has anyone had a NZ native bird mounted? What are the rules? Haven't asked any taxidermists yet, but the couple of people at DoC we asked weren't helpful at all. I'd imagine its either not allowed, or surrounded in red tape?

Cheers
    Josh.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    I'd imagine its either not allowed, or surrounded in red tape?
    Following the official channels you'd need to apply to DoC and be granted "authority to hold absolutely protected wildlife", pursuant to section 53 of the Wildlife Act 1953. Seldom given, but worth trying. If successful then approval is accompanied by a tag with a unique specimen number printed on it that stays with the mount. Taxidermists would be liable for prosecution if they worked on a bird without a tag, so it is unlikely any would take the work on without it.
    Last edited by Puffin; 06-01-2020 at 02:33 PM.
    JoshC likes this.

Awesome thanks mate. I've sent some emails to DoC requesting further info.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Same experience, plus "hand it over, or else".
    Why?
    ""Cos we might preserve it ourselves".
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Gone but not forgotten
    You need a permit, Eugenie will be fining you $100,000 or sending you to jail for 6 months for having it in your freezer (see near bottom of link). It sounds like contacting the Hamilton DOC office might be your best chance of finding the right info. Getting a permit sounds like a bit of a drama.
    https://www.doc.govt.nz/get-involved...with-wildlife/
    JoshC likes this.

Years ago a local wanted to get a dead owl stuffed, it was allowed so long as finished bird was given to a school for display.
    JoshC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    You need a permit, Eugenie will be fining you $100,000 or sending you to jail for 6 months for having it in your freezer (see near bottom of link). It sounds like contacting the Hamilton DOC office might be your best chance of finding the right info. Getting a permit sounds like a bit of a drama.
    https://www.doc.govt.nz/get-involved...with-wildlife/
    It's in "a" freezer, not sure where at the moment
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I had a woody catch both legs in gin trap set in a blue gum tree where I was targeting possums, I euthed it by wringing it's neck and mounted it on an oven dish.
    Magnus likes this.

Workmate of mine, Maori elder from Te Puke area, few years back cooks up a bird in the staff room oven. I says to him, wtf is that bird Berny?' he says, 'its a seagull boy'. 'Bullshit' I says, 'they dont have meat that colour do they?' 'sure do' he says......left it at that. Comes up to me the next day grinning like fuck with his one tooth, 'it was a kereru boy' shhhhhhh ha ha same guy that puts blue nose eyes on his toast good bugger

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    I had a woody catch both legs in gin trap set in a blue gum tree where I was targeting possums, I euthed it by wringing it's neck and mounted it on an oven dish.
    Fom my memories of back in the 60's early 70's I'd have to be bloody hungry before I'd eat another one.

Quote Originally Posted by woods223 View Post
    Fom my memories of back in the 60's early 70's I'd have to be bloody hungry before I'd eat another one.
    C'mon mate they aren't that bad if they are done properly eh...every Friday night was woody nosh time

Quote Originally Posted by woods223 View Post
    They are known as "flying pork" for a good reason...as a youth working on a farm in Northland we ate them on a regular basis, ours were taken from a flock of over 120 resident birds.

I know an old Maori fella who always has them in the freezer, weka too. Loves them. Always trying to give me some. He's often given tui, but aint too keen on it , reckons it's too much plucking and not that tasty.

Wood pigeon (Kereru) is supposed to have full protection since the 1930s
    I lost a boat once and was in survival mode for three days, this given scenario can be excepted as reason for eating these birds.
    But other than that they remain protected, not sure on the grey area of Iwi?
    KH
    2post likes this.
    The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...