Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Black Watch


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Dorkus
  • 1 Post By Philipo

Thread: Stag and Thar Cape weights

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    25

    Stag and Thar Cape weights

    Hey All,

    I'm doing some planning for an upcoming trip to the South Island and have come up empty handed with any forum searches on this topic. If we're lucky enough to get something, I'm hoping to get an idea of what kind of weights we should expect for fresh(not dried) stag and thar capes with skull caps/antlers. The capes would be fleshed. I am referring to typical free range stags, not high fenced. My guess for stag cape + antlers is 35lbs(15.8kg), based off what I know about elk and whitetail. Is this a reasonable guess? I have no frame of reference for Thar weights, so I'm hoping for some help there. We'll likely be packing any trophies out on our backs and flying them home in checked luggage, hence the weight questions. Thanks for your help in advance.

  2. #2
    Bos
    Bos is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Blenheim
    Posts
    144
    Depends on the size of the animal and the bone (if its a stag). You might be a bit light by a few kg's I'd say.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos View Post
    Depends on the size of the animal and the bone (if its a stag). You might be a bit light by a few kg's I'd say.
    Thanks, that's good to know.

  4. #4
    R93
    R93 is online now
    Member R93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Westland NZ
    Posts
    14,545
    If you cape an animal right they shouldn't require much in the way of fleshing.
    You may have to turn the ears and lips depending on how long you are away.
    It doesn't take long for the hair to slip in those areas if you're not careful.
    I would be more worried about carrying the right amount of salt

    You should be taking well over 3/4 of the skin and on a big stag that can weigh well over 15kgs. Then skull cap and bone on top.





    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    If you cape an animal right they shouldn't require much in the way of fleshing.
    You may have to turn the ears and lips depending on how long you are away.
    It doesn't take long for the hair to slip in those areas if you're not careful.
    I would be more worried about carrying the right amount of salt[emoji16

    You should be taking well over 3/4 of the skin and on a big stag that can weigh well over 15kgs. Then skull cap and bone on top.

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Yeah, that was my plan. Clean everything up well, turn ears, split lips, eyelids, then salt. I want to get them as dry as I can before flying home.

  6. #6
    Throbbing Member Dorkus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Mangawhai
    Posts
    1,036
    I did an Alps trip last year and shot a nice stag. I reckon what I carried out was the best part of 30kg when wet (felt like double that)- It was a 14pt 300+DS stag and caped right back to the pizzle, but if you're going all that way to try and shoot a trophy public land stag then might as well be prepared to do it properly.

    Side note:
    First thing I did when I got back to civilisation (if you can call Greymouth that) was to call the taxidermist for advice on what next. He suggested head skinning (I didn't do that on the hill and we flew out next day) and putting in a chilly bin on ice. He said no need to salt it, and that would actually be worse for it than just keeping it cold. From memory stag was shot on a Tuesday (was very wet), flew out and head skinned on Wednesday then into chilly bin that day, with the taxidermist by late Friday night - Days might not be 100% accurate but it was something along those lines.
    Last edited by Dorkus; 29-01-2019 at 01:42 PM.
    Shootm and JoshC like this.
    “The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.” - Thucydides 463BC

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorkus View Post
    I did an Alps trip last year and shot a nice stag. I reckon what I carried out was the best part of 30kg when wet (felt like double that)- It was a 14pt 300+DS stag and caped right back to the pizzle, but if you're going all that way to try and shoot a trophy public land stag then might as well be prepared to do it properly.

    Side note:
    First thing I did when I got back to civilisation (if you can call Greymouth that) was to call the taxidermist for advice on what next. He suggested head skinning (I didn't do that on the hill and we flew out next day) and putting in a chilly bin on ice. He said no need to salt it, and that would actually be worse for it than just keeping it cold. From memory stag was shot on a Tuesday (was very wet), flew out and head skinned on Wednesday then into chilly bin that day, with the taxidermist by late Friday night - Days might not be 100% accurate but it was something along those lines.
    Thanks Dorkus, If I shoot a stag, I'm planning on head skinning in the field and taking just the antlers/skull cap to loose some weight on the pack out. As for salt vs keeping it cool, that will depend on the temperatures and how close we are to flying home(US). The salt is more of a contingency plan in case it is real warm or very early in the trip. I'm also well aware that ears, lips, and eyelids need to be turned/split before salting, or you are asking for trouble. If I was leaving it with a taxidermist in NZ, I would be less concerned with salt, but I need to get it back to the US.

  8. #8
    Member Sideshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,653
    @mallard833 I saw an article where some airlines are no now longer taking our trophies. Can't remember the full gist of it but it was after that Ceile lion shoot in Zim. Might pay to check. I'd hate to get back to the airport only to be told no sod off
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

  9. #9
    The Scope Whore ! Philipo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Palmy Nth
    Posts
    2,505
    Re - Tahr, if your'e planing on taking a full pelt ( they make a lovely floor mat ) then be prepared to carry plenty of weight out ( depending on season ) They weigh a friggen ton wet. I'd say be 20kg plus
    hotsoup likes this.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    25
    I'll probably take just the cape/headskin and skull cap, but could change my mind. If so, that is good to know.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Few days fishing East Cape
    By Mooseman in forum Fishing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 13-01-2017, 06:00 PM
  2. East Cape Roads
    By 1000PA in forum Hunting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-09-2016, 11:45 PM
  3. what weights?
    By 223nut in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 13-07-2016, 02:18 PM
  4. Hunting Cape Buffalo with a Blaser
    By stug in forum Hunting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 25-02-2015, 07:52 PM
  5. Wheel Weights
    By Maca49 in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 15-03-2013, 06:44 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!