Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

New to Archery...Which bow to buy?

Hi there

I've recently moved to Whangarei from Auckland and decided I'd like to take up archery with the end goal being getting into bow hunting. With what bow to buy as a beginner the advice I was give was : buy the bow you intend to hunt with and learn to shot with that bow. After looking around I settled on a Bear Cruzer. Here's a link to one on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bear-Archer...r=621701262408

The question I have is : is the advice given to me correct and is this a decent bow to learn to with and then transition into actual hunting?

Cheers

Do yourself a favour, and go talk to Arrowhead Archery, Woodlands Ed, off Vinegar Hill Rd. Trevor is your go-to guy. Also, read the www.Huntersfriend.com buyers'guide before doing that.

Hi there

I've been to Arrowhead and this is the bow the owner recommended. Cheers for the buyers guide

I haven't pulled a bow in a few years, but Bear has a solid reputation. I don't know your size or strength, but starting at 70 lb may be a bit tough if you aren't used to it.

Sorry that auction my have been the wrong one but the bear cruzer I'm looking has a draw weight of 50 - 70lbs, not a set draw weight of 70lbs

That sounds better. Having too heavy draw weight is the best way to get bad habits creeping into your form. Start reasonably light until you have developed good form, then begin increasing the dw. Maybe the 20# range was one of the reasons Trevor recommend it!

If Trevor recommends it, stick with it, then go to the mount tiger club and practice if you don,t have room at home. Set your draw weight at what's comfortable, I only draw 52 lb on my bear arena 31, as it means I can draw easily when crouched behind a gorse bush etc.