Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By MarkN

Thread: Stabilisers

Wink Stabilisers

In what may become an occasional series, of posts detailing the set up of my Bow etc, I'd thought I'd post about some, do-it-myself stabilisers.

I was very bored in lockdown whilst I waited for my Bow, so I made these:
    ___

The Camo ones are Aluminium tube, with well-nuts in one end and a SS bolt epoxied, in the other.

The weights are old version 50¢ and 20¢ pieces with holes drilled in them.

The Camo is a tape, that I got off eBay - brilliant, it won't stick to anything, except very, very, well, to itself, so it clings onto anything you can wrap it around.

The 50¢ and 20¢ pieces were "tempered" but making them red hot and quenching them in oil, this made them black
    ___

Name:  Stabilisers1.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  211.8 KB
    The wooden ones are genuine Antique, in that, they were made out of a walking stick I found. The sliver band, on the shorter one has hall marks, that I looked up and say, it was made in Birmingham in 1840 and is Stirling Silver.

The observant, may notice pieces of fishing reel, serving as weights on these ones. Also small silver pin weights, to offset the rotational harmonics of the stabilisers. (really, just to fill the holes, left by borer)

___

And they fit to this, from Mr Lim, c/o eBay.

Name:  Stabilisers2.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  58.5 KB

____

AND DO THEY WORK/IMPROOVE your preformance on the target board???? or are they just gimmicks to get hooked up in the scrub????
    please post photos of them in place on bow..

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    AND DO THEY WORK/IMPROOVE your preformance on the target board????
    Dunno yet, I'm still waiting for a, decent 5 pins sight, I've ordered, as the one that came with the bow, is 4 pins but shoddy quality and cheap plastic.

So it'll be a while, before I get to compare - with or with out stabilisers. They do feel, like they make the bow more settled with them and the quiver on though.

or are they just gimmicks to get hooked up in the scrub????
    Quite likely.

please post photos of them in place on bow..
    As you can see I'm playing with the centre shot, I've got it right, but the rest and nocking point, look a little low to me, so I'll raise them both a smidgeon next

And I'm going to take off the god-awful wrist strap, that came with the bow, it doesn't weigh much, but it's overkill I reckon.

Name:  Stabilisers3.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  150.8 KB
    Last edited by MarkN; 04-07-2020 at 05:09 PM.
    timattalon and kukuwai like this.

gees Liouse youve even got spirit levels !!!!!!!!!!!!
    thats getting all flash like.

This is the result of watching and amalgamating, all the youTube videos on compound bows, hundreds of them, some good, some shite, during the Lvl 4, and 3 lockdowns.

The idea behind the spirit levels, is to ascertain that the arrow is at right angles to the string, so using a 90º square, is good, but levels confirm. The arrow (so I'm led to believe) is best to be, situated across the Berger button hole and horizontal, if the bow's axis is vertical.

If it's higher than the Berger button hole, it'll be less accurate, and lower, the fletching will contact the shelf.

OK that explains it.

Yes - I should note, I'm not trying to be a know-it-all.

All this stuff is new knowledge to me, I post what I've learned, out of interest.

Maybe it's helpful, to another newbie like me

There are some very good vids out there, here are a couple of channels:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwT...wMzlIqwSrV8Mrg an Aussie guy Steven Hann who has been archering all his life, winning some and has a shop or shops. Quite good.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDj...dHjrPn29q8R47g from 'merica, Sean McVeigh, very detailed reviews and a long history as a Hunter. A bit of a god-botherer, but his Archery side is very good. He even has a dedicated vid to say he's in no way related to Timothy McVeigh.

Mind you a lot of the youtube content, seems to be: "I've just bought a Bow, so the first thing I'll do is reach for the Gopro and start making a youtube video". These can be dire.

But of say, 20 vids, on a particular topic, like, small game arrow points, I can usually get an informed consensus and a good steer going forward .