Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By wanneroo
  • 1 Post By Ozzy
  • 1 Post By Mufasa

Thread: Glock 17 gen 5

Glock 17 gen 5

Hi folks!

Anyone got experience with one for production ?

Picked one up to fondle the other day and I was really impressed!

Before I spend my compo money I'm after people's opinions and experiences on the Gen5.

I tried the 3,4 and 5 and the 5 felt even better than a Beretta APX in every possible way.

Cheers team!

Hot barrels

Bus driver
    Well mate...my boys have Glock 22s,....my oldest is a paramedic on the swat team and that’s what he’s been issued...loves it.....cant go wrong with a glock,....its why a lot of cops have them....very reliable
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

No experience shooting it in production, but you may want to consider the Gen 5 MOS FS as it irons out a few issues on the Gen 5.

GC had it on sale for $1249 for father's day I believe. You get the optic cut, mounting plates, front serrations and a better grip over the Gen 5.

Or pick a Gen 3 if you want to mod it. Not many Gen 5 mods easily accessible in NZ.

I think the main thing the 5 did was get rid of the hated finger grooves.

Also apparently they have this new "Glock Marksman" barrel. Not sure what the deal is there but my Gen 4 is the least accurate pistol I own and only once I got an aftermarket barrel could I get it to group decently.

I shot my Gen 4 in competition for a few years and outgrew it. You start to find using it in competition it's missing all the finer details. I found to fix all of that I could rebuild the pistol with all these aftermarket parts or I could try another pistol and that I did, a Walther PPQ. We will see how that goes. But accuracy is better than a Glock.

I would not dissuade people from buying a Glock. Out of the box it's a duty pistol not a competition gun, however people new to competition I would recommend them as they are simple to use and understand. Glock made some changes with the Gen 5 but the thing is that it's a very competitive pistol marketplace now and definitely other manufacturers are exceeding or matching what Glock is doing.
    A330driver likes this.

If you're serious about shooting production, don't bother with a glock. Go straight to a CZ Shadow or a Tanfo.
    A330driver likes this.

Unless you use one at work don't go glock for competition.
    Some can shoot them well but most struggle especially with ranged shots. That being said there was a rule change in IPSC production at the start of the year that allows you to use after market trigger groups which makes the distance shots less problematic.
    Ozzy likes this.

I went and had a fondle with a Sig p320 m17 yesterday after saying goodbye to my AR.

Was really impressed by all accounts!

Had a pick up of a Beretta 92 and was not impressed one bit sadly (one of those pistols I've always wanted).

Not looking at shooting production seriously just change it up a bit from standard and a 9mm is very handy to have for cheap shooting.

Cheers for all the feed back folks

Got a gen5, very happy, shots great
    Had a gen3 years ago, was crap.
    Gen5 was going to be for multi gun until new laws.