Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By stug
  • 2 Post By Towely

Thread: Holsters and mag holder tips for buying?

Holsters and mag holder tips for buying?

Hey guys fairly new to the sport have joined a pistol club for a while. Looking at doing comps soon so i need a holster etc any recommendations i should go for a medium price range

What pistol would the holster be for?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Check out Arsenal.nz their prices are lower than most others. I've got DAA gear from them.
    seano likes this.

Medium price range isn't always the sweet spot (in NZ). I understand you don't want to splash but also don't want to be cheap.

Anyone in the club selling 2nd hand gears? You may get a decent rig for a reasonable price - provided you find a rig matches your pistol and shooting discipline. Like IPSC has tight rules on the butt height and distance to body etc. It's best to check with your club for some recommendations.

The main issues with many kydex holsters is that they only fit a particular model, you could work it a bit with dremel and heat gun but not much.

Some holsters are designated as "competition" or "race" holsters which are designed for fast draws. Again most of them are designed for a particular model. Until you go into $300+ ish range, DAA alpha-x/race master that take different insert for different pistols, or Guga Ribas which let you adjust for locking on different trigger guards.

If you want buy new and local, Arsenal and Gunsnz stock a good range (price could've been cheaper). If you don't mind warranty too much, some OZ and US sites ship to NZ. Like Db-shooting supplies in OZ.

For a starter, a safari land GLS holster might not be a bad choice and you could probably still use it if you switch pistols later, check the fit chart. It's more than a lvl 1 retention holster, it locks on trigger guards and unlocks using your middle finger during normal draw.
    Safariland 577 GLS™ Holster

Any thing you buy, it would require a lot of training for a quick, reliable and repeatable draw.

Mag holders, DAA racer and Ghost hybrid/360 are popular and allow for adjustment. you looking at 40 to 50 each, you could start with 2 minimum, try 3+, a belt, a holster, that'd cost 350 to 400 with the safari GLS holster . Or use Arsenal's rig set if you use a popular pistol.

And the division you'll be shooting, assuming production...

Buy once, cry once, i bought some other mag pouches but changed to daa racers pretty quick, magnetic mag holder at the front, and i have a ghost holster, i do like this setup, but my advice would be decide on a pistol and get the belt gear to suit after.

Quote Originally Posted by hauraki View Post
    And the division you'll be shooting, assuming production...
    Dont be too hard on the poor chap, not everybody starts in the paupers division!

They might have a little class and be shooting open?.......

Shitpost number 600!
    nzfubz and Got Juice? like this.

I have a rig for a CZ Shadow 1 that's surplus if that would be of interest?

Double Alpha PDR pro holster, Double alpha Belt and double mag pouch.

I'd get setup for whatever your club gun is and shoot a few different pistols to see what you like ;-)

Check out delta mike for some grest prices and check out ghost holsters on arsenal nz they are really adjustable and fit most handguns they are awesome delta mike for mag pouches and higher end holsters