Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Cordite
  • 2 Post By systolic
  • 2 Post By systolic

Thread: Importing Pistol grips - Wood

Importing Pistol grips - Wood

Say I wanted to order some hard wood grips for a pistol (Amazon/Ebay), do I require paperwork? If so what sort?

I've had mixed answers from people I have asked.

Cheers.
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded

I'd not think so.

The pistol grip is not an essential firearms part, and it may even fit a CO2 or replica pistol.

Also, no matter if the grip is free standing or not (!), the pistol remains a pistol. It is certainly not a MSSA part as that refers to a certain arbitrary legal category of rifle.

If wood, make sure they are treated, even with some linseed, or biosecurity can hassle you by charging you for poison-gassing it.

Just a thought on grips... a broomhandle Mauser with shoulder stock welded on and a limited capacity charger loaded magazine, and a permanent muzzle brake to ensure it is not pistol length, is that not A cat?

Name:  ms17-c96-lead.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  373.6 KB
    Raging Bull and 40mm like this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Banned
    You will need an import permit from the cops as it's part of a pistol. In the Arms Act 'part' means different things for different firearms.

Sometimes things get stopped, other times things come straight through.

If they catch you importing parts without a permit, the best you can hope for is they will just seize and destroy it. At worst you could be charged for importing parts without a permit and end up in court.

You would be fucking stupid to risk bringing stuff in without a permit when permits are free to get.
    Raging Bull and Uplandstalker like this.

Bus driver
    Quote...You will need an import permit from the cops as it's part of a pistol. In the Arms Act 'part' means different things for different firearms.

Please Show/quote me the exact reference (or sub section)pertaining to that statement.....I must have broken the law on 4 occasions.Ive sent wooden/plastic/pacmeyer pistol grips(all have arrived)with no issues.....Luck?....not sure,but I’ve always declared said items.
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by A330driver View Post
    Quote...You will need an import permit from the cops as it's part of a pistol. In the Arms Act 'part' means different things for different firearms.

Please Show/quote me the exact reference (or sub section)pertaining to that statement.....I must have broken the law on 4 occasions.Ive sent wooden/plastic/pacmeyer pistol grips(all have arrived)with no issues.....Luck?....not sure,but I’ve always declared said items.
    Certainly. Took all of 60 seconds to find on Google. Here they are:

Arms Act 1983

Section 2 Interpretation

part—

(a) in relation to a pistol, restricted weapon, or military style semi-automatic firearm, includes any thing, such as a butt, stock, magazine, silencer, or sight, which, while not essential for the discharge by a pistol, restricted weapon, or military style semi-automatic firearm of any shot, bullet, missile, or other projectile, is designed or intended to be an integral part of a pistol, restricted weapon, or military style semi-automatic firearm; and

(b) in relation to any other firearm, means the action for that firearm

Section 16 Offence to import firearms, starting pistols, restricted airguns, or restricted weapons, or parts of firearms, starting pistols, or restricted weapons without permit

(1) A person must not, otherwise than pursuant to a permit issued to the person by a member of the Police, bring or cause to be brought or sent into New Zealand—

(a) a firearm, pistol, military style semi-automatic firearm, starting pistol, restricted airgun, or restricted weapon; or

(b) any part of a firearm, pistol, military style semi-automatic firearm, starting pistol, or restricted weapon.

(2) In this section New Zealand does not include the harbours and other territorial waters of New Zealand.

(3) Every person commits an offence and is liable on conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 1 year or to a fine not exceeding $2,000 or to both who acts in
    contravention of subsection (1).
    Raging Bull and Uplandstalker like this.

Appreciate the replies everyone. I'll get in touch with my arms officer.

Thanks.
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded

Bus driver
    First of all ...Thankyou

Secondly ...I did the same,just can’t figure out why you did not post the relevant info in the first place.....as you say,...it only took 60seconds

Thirdly.....apart from dog collars,I have never been pinged by customs .....

I reckon I’ve been warned
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

On a similar note, would I need a permit to import a base plate extension for a Glock magazine?

It is not a pistol ‘part’ or ‘magazine’ specifically however it is a part of a magazine. I have found some base plates on AliExpress for $5 including delivery!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All pistol parts need an import permit - even grip screws.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    On a similar note, would I need a permit to import a base plate extension for a Glock magazine?

It is not a pistol ‘part’ or ‘magazine’ specifically however it is a part of a magazine. I have found some base plates on AliExpress for $5 including delivery!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Depends. Do you have a glock pistol, or is this going on an A-Cat AR15? Probably in the same vane that I can buy a 10rd mag for a bolt action A-Cat rifle, but cannot do the same if I have a MSSA capable of accepting the same mag.