Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Pistol NZ Legal opinion on Safe regulations

Pistol NZ Legal opinion on Safe regulations

Very interesting reading for anyone that hasn't read it. Sorry if it's been posted elsewhere

legal_opinion_re_safes.pdf

Also a good read on the legality of collapsible stocks and minimum length
    http://founz.co.nz/documents/CCF08122016_3.pdf
    dogmatix and Ranger 888 like this.

Funny this should come up. I have just been over this same topic with a couple of people.
    Problem is most new B applicants will do whatever the AO asks of them so as to obtain that sacred endorsement. I was dumbfounded when I heard that same bit about compliant certificates.

My safe recently passed OK, gave them the piece of paper that came with the safe. The vetting guy was happy and so was the AO. I bought the safe back in June/July but was only vetted in December. The vetting guy was more interested in how I had attached it to the floor and wall rather than anything elese.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    My safe recently passed OK, gave them the piece of paper that came with the safe. The vetting guy was happy and so was the AO. I bought the safe back in June/July but was only vetted in December. The vetting guy was more interested in how I had attached it to the floor and wall rather than anything elese.
    Did they ask about burring or welding the end of the threads inside the safe? Mine did. (Safe 200 plus kgs) Because I didn't do either. I mentioned that if they had the safe open and we're wanting to take the safe, I didn't mind, they could have it - because they already have the guns.

And that I would be more pissed off that they had my guns, as if they were trying to undo the bolts, they must have the door open. He didn't really have a answer and said its all OK...... practical people down here
    Tertle, gadgetman and stumpy like this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Nope, no questions like that. The vetting person is an ex-cop and a bloody good guy. A couple of interesting points. Always have the safe key on your person because when you are asked to open the safe if he sees you get the key off a hook or from somewhere he will fail you on security because he now knows where you keep the key.

my last safe check , the ex cop asked if my wife knew where the key was kept ..... threw me for a sec , ... and i said no , and i asked him on it , he said he needed to check to make sure the wife (who isnt vetted) wouldnt go nuts and shoot me , ... if she could find the keys , then find the mags then find the loaded bullets , ... good luck to her .
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    he said he needed to check to make sure the wife (who isnt vetted) wouldnt go nuts and shoot me , ... if she could find the keys , then find the mags then find the loaded bullets , ... good luck to her .
    I guess we need to keep the kitchen knives under lock and key too...

When I wasn getting vetted the guy asked me a similar thing, just told him that she watches the 'Wives with knives' thing on Sky a lot. He cracked up
    stumpy likes this.

Long time back when a friend was getting vetted they asked " how is this bolted to the floor ?"
    My friend said " no bolts it weighs a tonne " " oh thats not good enough " was the reply
    Friend said " you'e not listening, it weighs a tonne " "try moving it "
    He passed when common sense prevailed.

When I got vetted the vetter told me of one place he went to for a renewal and the old fella had all the keys on a board in the kitchen clearly marked Garage Shed Gunsafe etc

FWIW my pistol safe is a compartment (sep lock) inside my E-cat, I've also got a sep compartment (again, locked) that holds ammo

No probs with my local vetter who passed it about two weeks ago

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    my last safe check , the ex cop asked if my wife knew where the key was kept ..... threw me for a sec , ... and i said no , and i asked him on it , he said he needed to check to make sure the wife (who isnt vetted) wouldnt go nuts and shoot me , ... if she could find the keys , then find the mags then find the loaded bullets , ... good luck to her .
    You're telling me your wife has not a single fucking clue where the key to your safe is? Don't lie to yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by Jexla View Post
    You're telling me your wife has not a single fucking clue where the key to your safe is? Don't lie to yourself...
    I'm telling you my wife has no idea and why would she?
    puku and Beaker like this.
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

R93
    Same.
    My cook couldn't give a rats ass either.
    Key pad entry and 2 keys if the batteries die hidden at my folks place.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    puku, Beaker and seano like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Key pad for me. Keys hidden, only place/person that knows where they are, is me and a sealed letter with my will. And nobody else knows the keypad number.

Wife also doesn't care or have any interest in getting into the safe - in fact she has never asked about the code, or where the keys are.
    nzfubz and seano like this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....