Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Knives Africa

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Already failed

Already failed

A little something for my MP

12 days ago I sent out a mail order form for a vintage bolt action rifle. 11 days ago I emailed my arms officer and she confirmed that the form was acceptable and would be processed. I have heard nothing since, but upon further inquiry I have learned that it has been sent to the new central administrative hub for firearms and that it would take longer than usual. These forms generally take two days. There is no possibility of contacting this new central facility. Because of the roar for deer stalkers and opening day for duck shooters, many thousands of these forms are in process. I have $1000 sitting in another persons bank account. Many thousands of law abiding New Zealanders are being punished both materially and financially for committing no crime. There has been no statement from police regarding the suspension of the mail order system.

If the government is to carry out its plans and have rifles handed in voluntarily in return for compensation, then it is important that owners of those rifles believe they are capable of this audacious and expensive process. It would appear they have already failed. The mail order process is identical to firearm registration. I have my license checked by a police officer and I have all the details of the firearm recorded and checked by the arms officer. Any gun purchased by mail order is registered. Currently the new administration appears incapable of processing a tiny fraction of the firearms held legally in this country.

We have recently learned via News articles that the gangs have no intention of handing in any firearms. The only power the government has to exercise, is over law abiding compliant gun owners. The criminal element has stated publicly that they have no intention of disarming. This comes at a time when they expanding across the country selling methamphetamine to peoples children. While there were no gangs in Oamaru when I grew up, it is no longer unusual to see patched gang members intimidating members of the public. It is no longer unusual to see meth users on the streets. The gangs have stated they are keeping their firearms for self defense. Our local police appear to be overworked and under resourced dealing with meth addicts. It would appear the government has lost its ability to provide protection to New Zealanders.

We have also learned that 29 patched gang members have been issued with firearms licenses. There is considerable anger among the firearm owning community over this. The police appear to have made no effort to ensure the functionality of the old license system. Our former licensing system was the most successful in the world despite the fact the police appear to have made no effort to uphold its principles. If patched gang members can be considered fit and proper and pass character vetting, then what was the point of the system? Any terrorist or criminal who wishes to attain a firearm for nefarious purposes will have access to one via the gangs.

The last decade has seen a steady and unrelenting focus on firearms cosmetics. While the appearance of a firearm may be intimidating to some, this has no effect on its efficacy. During the period when pistol grips and flash hiders were the focus of legislative attention, high capacity magazines were ignored. This is despite the fact that members of the firearms owning community pointed out this obvious failing as a matter of routine. High capacity magazines are the only issue. They could have been regulated when laws around pistol grips were changed. Without these an MSSA is just a rifle. Many of the rifles now categorized as MSSA are wooden deer hunting rifles. Rifles like the Remington Woodmaster or the modern Browning BAR are not particularly popular, except with the left handed shooters, the elderly and disabled. To suggest these rifles have any relationship with the military is patently ridiculous.

Firearm owners have been mocked when requesting their representatives have input in the law changes. Our input might include avoiding mistakes like not regulating large capacity magazines. The decision to ignore input from our representative groups while using an order in council to implement law changes is dictatorial by nature.This is tyranny by the majority. Firearms owners have been kept in the dark as to the fate of the mail order system while many have money tied up in this system. New Zealand had a gun culture crafted by the Mountain Safety council that was something for us all to be proud of. It remained the most successful in the world. These efforts were callously derailed by politicians that appear to hold us in contempt. Due to past failings, their only capacity to exercise influence is over law abiding compliant and responsible gun owners. This group is being abused by politicians and media who appear to get their attitude to use from American television.

This buyback clearly relies on voluntary compliance. A percentage will not comply. How large that percentage is depends on the police and governments ability to show the compliant and responsible gun owners that they will be treated fairly and with respect. It is heavily reliant on the ability of the police to communicate they are capable of this undertaking. So far we have been treated with contempt and punished for crimes we did not commit. Great power is being exercised over those who allow it and manipulation of this group is being carried out with relish. Meanwhile, criminals are willing to state publicly they have no interest in the law, without consequence.

Those few of us who haved filled out the online form note we are thanked for making the community safer, clearly implying we were previously making it unsafe. While this is meant to be an exercise in strengthening firearm law, it appears to be an exercise in further undermining public faith and trust in this countries institutions. Institutions who have publicly failed in their responsibility to keep our communities safe.

Excellent writing @Tussock.
    omegaspeedy, Blisters and Tussock like this.

great letter, well done
    Tussock likes this.

"we are thanked for making the community safer, clearly implying we were previously making it unsafe"

Well said and excellent closing statement
    Look forward to seeing your reply - or am I being a tad "optimistic"
    Tussock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    "we are thanked for making the community safer, clearly implying we were previously making it unsafe"

Well said and excellent closing statement
    Look forward to seeing your reply - or am I being a tad "optimistic"
    I see her from time to time. If she does not reply I will ask in person.

Needs to get to the PM.
    tetawa, Pengy, Ryan and 3 others like this.

There is many of us in the same position, filled out the form, sent to the regional arms officer via local station, the seller receives zero 10 days later. Make inquiries at the local who does some ringing around to find out that the regional arms officer doesn't handle mail order any longer, all done in Wellington. Local hasn't even been informed of procedure change. They can't handle this but they want to run an amnesty, wish them all the best.
    Steve123 and Tussock like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Needs to get to the PM.
    Dead right - If the asshole locked up in Paremoremo can send her an email I'm sure you can get that to her.
    tetawa, Maca49, Gibo and 1 others like this.

Tussock send it to, gunlawchanges@parliament.govt.nz I've already sent in an email and the auto response say's it will be given to the select commitee.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Excellent writing @Tussock.
    +1
    Blisters likes this.

@Tussock apparently an 8 year old gets a say

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ampaign=nzh_fb

But not me or you.
    Tommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post

But not me or you.
    Virtue signalling is all the rage these days
    Ryan, Dublin and Tommy like this.
    Hawkes Bay Rifle Club - http://www.sporty.co.nz/hbrc

R
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post

But not me or you.
    This is FAKE NEWS - I'll report it to to the Media Council !!
    In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when conserved by the sportsman. The excellent people who protest against all hunting, and consider sportsmen as enemies of wildlife are wholly ignorant of the fact that in reality the genuine sportsman is by all odds the most important factor in keeping wild creatures from total extinction.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Tussock, please try to get this letter to as many newspapers/media outlets as you can as well.
    omegaspeedy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    Tussock, please try to get this letter to as many newspapers/media outlets as you can as well.
    I'm sure "stuff" will publish it as their headline item, maybe not.