Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Mauser308
  • 2 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By Luke556

Thread: Another first - well I never thought I'd...

Another first - well I never thought I'd...

Agree on anything that Gun Control Aotearoa came out with. But, I wholehartedly agree with the plea to establish an independent and fully funded Firearms Agency completely separate to the Police. Good call - not so sure how practical some of the rest of their ideas are as I expect that they have 0% actual on ground subject knowledge but a whole lot of 'I want to feel better" going on.
    Gerbs likes this.

Well, I never thought I'd be writing a letter to Penthouse Forums, but I've just been f*cked by the whole of the NZ Parliament, with assists from the police, the career bureaucracy, Hunting and Fishing, Forest and Bird, Cahill, and assorted other fluffers.

Joe Greens personal submission may make interesting reading as well if you can find it. But he and Loder make a very strong case for a separate ministry especially if the facts are verified. However that wont happen instead we will have one for something more important like Lesbian Gay Bi Transgende folks because thats who we are as a nation, oops firgot the intersexys.
    Luke556 and Sako851 like this.

Is there any word on what cal,s they are banning ?
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Joe Greens personal submission may make interesting reading as well if you can find it. But he and Loder make a very strong case for a separate ministry especially if the facts are verified. However that wont happen instead we will have one for something more important like Lesbian Gay Bi Transgende folks because thats who we are as a nation, oops firgot the intersexys.
    Guys like Joe Green shouldn't be making submissions to the panel, they should be on the bl$#dy panel hearing them.
    tetawa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    Is there any word on what cal,s they are banning ?
    So far as I can see, no. That will come in pt 2 of this process.

It may just be 50 bmg, tracer , and armour piercing stuff. That would be the sensible way to go..............
    RIP Larry S. 19/02/19

Expect 338s to be caught up in the mix then.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Anything above .22LR?

From the UN national controls on small arms legislation.

6.2.2 Risk factors

When categorizing small arms, the following risk factors shall be taken into consideration:
    a) action (e.g. manual or semi-automatic);
    b) calibre;
    c) whether a small arm is designed to use
    1) rimfire ammunition (generally lower-powered and smaller caliber), or
    2) centrefire ammunition (generally higher-powered and larger caliber);
    d) the capacity of the magazine; and
    e) the ease with which the small arm can be concealed on one’s person (e.g. barrel length and
    overall weapon length).

6.2.3 Legal classifications
    In order to define properly the above risk factors, national law, regulations or administrative
    procedures shall specify:

a) the maximum number of rounds that a magazine can hold in order to be classified as a “lowcapacity magazine” (this should not exceed 10 rounds);
    b) that magazines capable of holding more rounds of ammunition than a low-capacity magazine
    are to be classified as “high-capacity magazines;” and
    c) the barrel length and overall weapon length below which a small arm would be classified as a
    “short barreled weapon” (for barrel length, this should not be less than 46cm and for overall
    weapon length it should not be less than 66cm).

d) an intolerable risk to public safety if misused shall be prohibited from being acquired, owned or
    possessed by civilians.

8.2.2 Licence categories
    The categories into which the competent national authority divides civilian small arms in accordance
    with their risk factors and legal classifications (see Clause 6.2) shall each correspond to a different
    category of small arms licence.

EXAMPLE If the competent national authority divides those small arms that civilians may legally acquire,
    own and possess into three risk categories (e.g. low, medium and high), there would be three corresponding
    categories of small arms licence (e.g. categories 1, 2 and 3).

Civilians shall only be permitted to acquire, own or possess small arms that fall into a risk category
    that is equal to or lower than the category of licence they possess.

8.2.4.4 Legitimate use
    In order to strengthen compliance with national regulations regarding legitimate and illegitimate uses
    of small arms by civilians (see Clause 7), the small arms licensing authority may:

a) require applicants to specify a legitimate use for the small arm(s) that may be acquired under
    the licence being applied for;
    b) require applicants to provide evidence for the specified legitimate use (e.g. hunting
    authorization, shooting club membership, etc.); and
    c) rule out certain uses that have been deemed illegitimate by the competent national authority
    (see Clause 7)

8.2.4.6.2 Safe storage practice
    When not in use, a small arm shall be stored
    a) unloaded;
    b) separate from its ammunition;
    c) out of the reach of children;
    d) on a premises that offers protection against intrusion; and
    e) in a sturdy, locked storage unit
    1) that can withstand a 15-minute attempt at forced access by an adult using commonly
    available household tools.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 05-04-2019 at 04:18 PM.

That to me is nothing short of sensible - if applied by rational thinking people and in keeping with the risk factors being controlled not just by the licencing system and class availability of firearms but also by a robust and holistic wrap-around investment in the licencing authority, enforcement, training, evaluation, mental health, screening, and management of the footage available to the population via social media, internet, video games, music, media, movies, and in print.