Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Armed Cop in your range

RRA

Armed Cop in your range

just a friendly reminder, if you have seen armed police in your local range recently, don't be surprised, they are there to check the range security, no need to panic. However, be smart, don't leave your weapon and ammo alone or unattended, leave them on the backseats of your car is a big no-no. if you get caught, the police will confiscate the weapon immediately and you might just as well kiss your FAL and say bye-bye.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

WTF!

Aye?

And if they leave their guns kicking about? Asking for a friend
    ebf and grunzter like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Someone please tell me they are raiding right wing extremist’s basements as well?
    grunzter and Steve123 like this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Banned
    It was in the media that all cops throughout the country are armed full time for the foreseeable future.

If they turn up armed at our club while I'm there, I'll give them a box of 9mm so they can have a shoot with their Glock.

No pistols are allowed to be used at our range.....And we have a ban on E cat so their bush masters are a no no as well. But if the ask nicely, I may let them try one on my legal rifles, or I may not, that is my prerogative....(I probably would though , I am good like that and so are most of the boys in blue I have met. .)

Yeah a lot of cops will be on the same page as us. A portion of them are also lawful firearms holders and are also having their toys taken, and I am sure those boys will feel like crap having to take other peoples toys as well.

The guys on the ground are doing what they are told. Its the decision makers who have passed the law, not the boots on the ground and I don't believe there is any police agenda at all thinking that we are all a bunch of wackos.

As for showing up armed, they are routinely armed for the foreseeable future
    sako75, Yukon, 6x47 and 3 others like this.

Yes, officially there to check range security, however I've been told they're also asking to take copies of membership/range attendance lists. (Something that they can never legally be given without breaching privacy laws, which they well know)

That way they could say.. "We know you've got guns, you were shooting at x range a month ago"

Quote Originally Posted by RRA View Post
    ...don't leave your weapon and ammo alone or unattended...
    Good advise but how about you (and others) stop referring to your firearms as weapons... It's really a bad look and supports the media narrative of "guns are bad mmmkay"
    Hawkes Bay Rifle Club - http://www.sporty.co.nz/hbrc

What range is that @timattalon?

While you may not be lawfully obligated to provide those details, they are not breaking he law just by requesting the details be given.
    It would be different if they forcefully took that information I guess..
    The worlds mad anyway mate and it won’t be long until this stuff is the norm

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    What range is that @timattalon?
    @Sasquatch NZHA though bear in mind the range is closed until the 30th and MSSA is only banned because of the recent law change in the short term.Up until now MSSA were fine. And I expect if it is still legal to use them once this is all sorted they will be allowed back. Most of it seems to be because no one seems to know what is happening.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    @Sasquatch NZHA though bear in mind the range is closed until the 30th and MSSA is only banned because of the recent law change in the short term.Up until now MSSA were fine. And I expect if it is still legal to use them once this is all sorted they will be allowed back. Most of it seems to be because no one seems to know what is happening.
    Please re-read the law changes...

MSSA's are not banned. All that has happened is that some rifles that were previously held on A-cat license have been transferred to E-cat. Until such time as you obtain an E-endorsement, AND have those specific firearms linked to the endorsement you should not be using the re-classified rifles.

If you already have an E endorsement, and own rifles that are already linked to that endorsement, nothing has changed. (yet )
    gadgetman and nzfubz like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Please re-read the law changes...

MSSA's are not banned. All that has happened is that some rifles that were previously held on A-cat license have been transferred to E-cat. Until such time as you obtain an E-endorsement, AND have those specific firearms linked to the endorsement you should not be using the re-classified rifles.

If you already have an E endorsement, and own rifles that are already linked to that endorsement, nothing has changed. (yet )
    I agree. MSSAs have not been BANNED and you are correct that anyone with a MSSA already on E cat would not be breaking the law. But seeing as the rifles the police carry would qualify as E Cat in civilian hands it would be a question mark as to whether it would be legal for them to use their rifles at the range.

@ebf with the current changes making what used to be A cat into E Cat, and the fact that police are not transferring them means perhaps a better way of saying this is their use is not currently permitted at the range. As also mentioned, the range is closed until at least the 30th of this month. Once reopened, and the issues are all sorted, I am sure they will allow the use of all legal sporting firearms as we have always done, but in the meantime while the changes are happening, it is probably safer for all to be cautious. I am sure all the club wants to ensure is that all firearms used on the range are legally allowed to be used. With all the issues at the moment this is a difficult time and most are deciding to be cautious.
    ebf likes this.