Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Knives Africa DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: Buy back update (parts and mags included)

Buy back update (parts and mags included)

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/chr...g-compensation

Police Minister Stuart Nash has announced a legal framework for the gun buyback scheme but does not yet have a firm estimate of costs.

The leader of the Opposition has expressed surprise the National Party was not briefed on the framework, given it had supported the Government on the bill.

The Government's fast-tracked gun control law, banning all semi-automatic and military-style weapons, such as those used during the Christchurch terrorist attack, provides for a buyback scheme so gun-owners with then-illegal guns purchased legally can surrender them to police for a fair price.

Those who own illegal firearms were given amnesty until September 30 to hand over the weapons to police.

Nash said a legal framework for the gun buyback would be established as a first step towards determining the level of compensation and it would include compensation for high capacity magazines and parts.

The regulations are expected to be considered by Cabinet in May and if necessary, the amnesty could be extended by a month or so to run alongside the buyback, Nash said.

The Arms (Prohibited Firearms, Magazines and parts) Amendment Bill looks set to pass its third reading on Wednesday, with Royal Assent on Thursday to become law before the end of the week.

It follows the release of the Finance and Expenditure Select Committee report, which recommended the Bill be passed with extra exemptions.

Changes to the Bill will be debated during the committee stage of the legislation on Wednesday.

A Supplementary Order Paper (SOP) from Nash reflected changes arising from the select committee process.

It sets out the framework for dealing with the legal ownership of weapons, magazines and parts and the broad approach for determining payments.

Nash said compensation would be based on make, model and condition of the items. The regulations would provide for rights of review and appeal, he said.

Independent advisors would develop the price list for approval by Cabinet and a separate expert panel of advisors would be established to determine fair compensation for high value firearms, he said.

"Police have also consulted extensively with Australian officials to familiarise themselves with the pitfalls and legal risks encountered there. Australia has had almost 30 amnesties and buyback schemes since the 1990s."

The new measures made it clear that surrendered firearms would be the property of the Crown, he said.

Owners would be compensated for them, if the guns were lawfully obtained and the person had the appropriate firearms licence.

Price lists would be set out in regulations, which were now being drafted, he said.

"This framework provides certainty for all participants in this process and sets out a clear appeal process if the compensation is disputed."

A number of transitional measures were also being put in place to handle one-off questions, such as weapons that were in transit from overseas when the ban took effect.

In this case, customs officials may deliver them to police as part of the amnesty and buyback arrangement.

National leader Simon Bridges said the party was surprised to hear about the buyback SOP and would need to take some time to think about it.

He had not been briefed by Nash, so did not know any detail yet.

He didn't go as far to say the Government was playing politics but said given that the bill had cross-party support, it would have been good to have been given some advance notice.

The parties had strived to ensure work on the bill was bigger than politics, he said.

"Given the way we have been dealing with this and trying to take the politics out of it, to have been given advanced notice [would have been good] so we could fulsomely and quickly support what's happening."

Meanwhile ACT leader David Seymour said by restricting compensation to only those gun owners with appropriate firearms licences, the Government would limit the success of its buyback scheme.

" If a significant number of weapons aren't handed in, we risk creating a large black market of dangerous weapons without any regulatory oversight. That may be a more dangerous world than we had prior to March 15."

Ministers have previously said "early analysis" suggested the cost of the buyback would be between $100 million and $200m, but admitted this was not a concrete estimate as they couldn't be sure exactly how many of the guns have been sold and what exactly the "fair price" would be.

The police and finance ministers have not been able to guarantee a detailed cost analysis would be available before the bill was made law.

Gun City owner David Tipple told a select committee meeting his analysis showed the buyback scheme would cost close to three quarters of a billion dollars.

Going through the Gun City sales from June 2016, it accepted there were about 1.5 million guns in the country and its analysis suggested the buyback would cost about $726m.

Nash said police were already collecting bank account details from people who were taking part in the gun amnesty.

They were well placed to begin paying compensation once the scheme was confirmed, he said.

He reassured firearms owners there would be plenty of time for them to hand over their weapons as part of the amnesty and to have their compensation processed under the buyback as well.

"The government has listened closely to official advice about the need to provide statutory authority for decisions and payments under the buyback scheme," Nash said.

The Government has come under criticism for pushing ahead on the gun reforms without much detail on the buyback scheme.

On Tuesday, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said the scheme needed to be part of the bill in order to act as compensation for those who legally held those guns in the past.

"The point we are making is simply that these guns should not be in circulation and that there will be criminal penalties for those who do not hand in their weapons," she said.

"The point we are making is simply that these guns should not be in circulation and that there will be criminal penalties for those who do not hand in their weapons," she said.

Is she for real? If they are not in circulation legally, they will be in circulation illegally. And if she really thinks criminals are going to worry about criminal penalties, she has her head firmly up winnies backside or somewhere. The monkey mob have already said openly they will not be handing any they have in, and whats the point, they are only going to receive compensation if they have a licence which I bet most if not all dont have, so there is no incentive to hand them in at all, it is clear getting criminal penalties are not worrying these people. And I am betting that will be the same with other gangs.

Sorry, it seems clear to me this whole process is rushed and has had very little thought by the right people and a bit more thought by the wrong people. David Seymour seems the only one giving it some decent thought and he is standing alone.
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

The NZDF paid about $6,500 for each of their LMT MARS-L's. That was with the dodgy firing pins.
    Tommy and outlander like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    The NZDF paid about $6,500 for each of their LMT MARS-L's. That was with the dodgy firing pins.
    I guess that would be a good starting number then given they were stock std not the highly customised competition rifles a lot of us have.
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    Generally with military contracts that number will include a lot of spares and addons per rifle (optics, squad support ect) so i doubt the Govt is going to pay you to maintain a non existant rifle for the next 10 years.
    ebf likes this.

I hope not... Taxpayers pockets will be very empty! However, it does serve as a starting point to calculate a fair buy-back price. The govt would have also received a very good bulk price at nearly 10000 units.
    veitnamcam, Tommy and outlander like this.

Bus driver
    clus·ter·fuck
    /ˈkləstərˌfək/
    Learn to pronounce
    nounVULGAR SLANG•US
    a disastrously mishandled situation or undertaking.
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

I'm kind of glad they are paying for them, I have a lot of magazines that now fall afoul of the impending law, and I'm glad I'm getting something for them as opposed to nothing, but it still feels like the government is taking with one hand, giving with another, and taking from someone else to give to another, and on and on it goes..... ever feel like you're part of a giant circus and everyone in charge is taking turns being the clown?
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by coltace View Post
    I'm kind of glad they are paying for them, I have a lot of magazines that now fall afoul of the impending law, and I'm glad I'm getting something for them as opposed to nothing, but it still feels like the government is taking with one hand, giving with another, and taking from someone else to give to another, and on and on it goes..... ever feel like you're part of a giant circus and everyone in charge is taking turns being the clown?
    Have you got any money for them yet................................how bout now.
    veitnamcam, Maca49 and 40mm like this.

LOVE this bit "Owners can only seek compensation if the firearms were lawfully obtained and the person had the appropriate firearms licence"

Let's make sure that people who are holding firearms illegally have fuck all incentive to get them off the streets.

Fucking genius move!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam, Bryan, 199p and 16 others like this.

How Bizarre that they will not pay out anyone that turns up with a banned rifle what bloody difference does it make if they have a licence or not , I would have thought that would be the exact person they should be targeting ..unlicensed firearms owners !!!!!! , these people need there heads read .
    veitnamcam, tetawa, kimjon and 6 others like this.
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

That's the whole point of an amnesty I thought. What muppets.
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgrass View Post
    That's the whole point of an amnesty I thought. What muppets.
    An amnesty is to hand in illegal shit and not prosocuted for it. If they pay for stolen firearms they generate a market for the shitheads that steal them.
    Last edited by Konev; 10-04-2019 at 06:34 PM.

I love the bit where they say they will have prices for all the makes and models. I bet people will get in there and the Police will have no idea that make or model was even banned.
    I wonder if it is not on the list, do we get to keep it?
    199p, chainsaw and outlander like this.

No,they’ll be instructed to take it off you even if it’s not banned.And FY if you think you’re getting it back...
    Steve123 and outlander like this.