Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Knives Africa Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: C cat effectively gone too?

C cat effectively gone too?

Local AO informed me that a WWII M1 Garand can't be moved to C cat. Reasoning??

Your local AO is covering his arse at present , because he doesnt know any more than you or I. Sit tight , dont panic , wait till we know the wording of all this .

I suspect you will be able to keep your C cat semis , but they will have to be permanently deactivated . Thats what they did in Australia and Britain.
    Tommy and 40mm like this.
    Cats have nine lives-which makes them ideal for experimentation...

I heard all permits etc or anything paperwork related to firearms is on hold for now.
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    I heard all permits etc or anything paperwork related to firearms is on hold for now.
    This would be why I think it cannot be moved at the moment. I cannot see a reason it could not go onto a C but I am not writing the new rules.

Doesn't making permanent modifications to an antique ruin its authenticity? Why would I want to own a non functional shell?
    40mm likes this.

I will be ringing my arms officer Monday to see if I can transfer my E cat to C cat. I’m doubting it, but worth a try. Will let you know how I get on. I know what you guys say about owning a rifle you can’t shoot, however in this instance I would rather own it and not shoot it, than it be taken through the mulcher and furnace
    Cordite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew11 View Post
    I will be ringing my arms officer Monday to see if I can transfer my E cat to C cat. I’m doubting it, but worth a try. Will let you know how I get on. I know what you guys say about owning a rifle you can’t shoot, however in this instance I would rather own it and not shoot it, than it be taken through the mulcher and furnace
    Keen to hear how you get on. Probably along the lines of “no” or “I don’t know yet” from the AO.
    tetawa likes this.

I keep getting the answer phone. Will keep trying!

There's absolutely no point in bothering them because:

1. As the law currently stands, you cannot transfer E to C because only pistols and restricted weapons (selective fire rifles, machine guns, rocket launchers etc) can be held on a C endorsement.

2. Nobody knows what is going to be changing until parliament releases the new legislation.
    Cordite likes this.
    "I would rather suffer under imperfect freedom, than languish under perfect control".

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    There's absolutely no point in bothering them because:

1. As the law currently stands, you cannot transfer E to C because only pistols and restricted weapons (selective fire rifles, machine guns, rocket launchers etc) can be held on a C endorsement.

2. Nobody knows what is going to be changing until parliament releases the new legislation.
    Can you please point me in the direction of, or show me where the law says only pistols and restricted weapons (selective fire rifles, machine guns, rocket launchers etc) can be held on a C Endorsement?

I know of plenty of MSSAs that are collector pieces and are held on a C Cat licenses. So either the police are putting these Firearms on a C Cat unlawfully, or you are wrong.
    Thanks in advance

I think what Ryan is meaning is our current "situation" we can't transfer from E to C - It is yet TBC officially.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew11 View Post
    Can you please point me in the direction of, or show me where the law says only pistols and restricted weapons (selective fire rifles, machine guns, rocket launchers etc) can be held on a C Endorsement?

I know of plenty of MSSAs that are collector pieces and are held on a C Cat licenses. So either the police are putting these Firearms on a C Cat unlawfully, or you are wrong.
    Thanks in advance
    It's simply not legally possible currently:

Section 30 Arms Act 1983:

30 Power to make endorsement in respect of pistols or restricted weapons
    On receiving an application under section 29, a member of the Police may, subject to any direction from the Commissioner, make the endorsement applied for if he is satisfied—
    (a)
    that the applicant is a fit and proper person to be in possession of the pistol or restricted weapon to which the application relates; and
    (b)
    that the applicant should, on grounds or in a capacity specified in section 29, be permitted to have possession of the pistol or restricted weapon to which the application relates; and
    (c)
    in the case of an application under section 29(2)(e), that possession of the pistol or restricted weapon by the employee or member is necessary for the purpose of—
    (i)
    making a broadcast; or
    (ii)
    producing or staging a play; or
    (iii)
    filming a cinematic production or television film or making a video recording.

Section 30B Arms Act 1983:

30B Power to make endorsement in respect of military style semi-automatic firearm
    On receiving an application under section 30A, a member of the Police may, subject to any direction from the Commissioner, make the endorsement applied for if that member is satisfied that the applicant is a fit and proper person to be in possession of the military style semi-automatic firearm to which that application relates.

Arms Act 1983 No 44 (as at 01 October 2018), Public Act – New Zealand Legislation
    "I would rather suffer under imperfect freedom, than languish under perfect control".

Banned
    I know a couple of people who have semi autos on their C licence.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MSL
    Is an e cat not a restricted firearm?