Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Knives Africa

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Are collectors about to be shafted

Are collectors about to be shafted

It looks like boni fied collectors may keep there collections, is this just a cost saving exercise? , I have a feeling that come renewals of c cat licenses, they will slowly revoke them, ( you will need to prove there standard of boni fied ) which will leave the collectors with having to find buyers on the open market. With less collectors there guns would be worthless. Am I paranoid or just thinking like a politician.

The legislation said C-Catters have to deactivate their guns.

There is no standing in nz law for a deactivated gun as far as I know

Don't come at this argument with logic.
    kimjon, Maca49, A330driver and 1 others like this.

Yup, collector's are getting fucked over too. Deactivate your guns so they can't be used...but still store them under high security???

Wtf? If it can't be fired, what danger does it now pose?

Quote Originally Posted by TheWuce View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    There is no standing in nz law for a deactivated gun as far as I know
    If I had to take a wild and unsubstantiated guess they would require the firearms to be plugged, drilled, then welded to UN standards, but would still be categorized as C Cat as-per the law currently that doesn't recognize deactivation as changing a firearms category. So collectors would end up with screwed up metal blocks and still have to get vetted/inspected.

Edit - Kimjon beat me to it.

Instantly these collectors items will become a mere fraction of their previous worth.
    40mm likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWuce View Post
    They have to be stored in an inoperable condition (i.e. a critical part removed), not "deactivated". There is no change to existing legislation as far as C category firearms are concerned.
    systolic and GDMP like this.
    "I would rather suffer under imperfect freedom, than languish under perfect control".

If you were relying on the Antique Arms Assns submission to save you you may as well drag the welder in right now.
    Cats have nine lives-which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Cahills submission specifically emphasised that the current standard of storing an integral part separately to make it inoperable was not sufficient and that they needed to be deactivated. He had a picture of a bunch of uzis and discussed an instance where 70+ of them were imported and only caught as the overseas supplier informed police / customs that someone was importing enough to start a militia.
    Antique arms argued what’s the point in having a C cat licence and going through the vetting , storage etc if you are only storing a piece of deactivated metal / art and can’t be trusted even though you have the endorsement.
    I think antique arms did a good job...whose side they will take I have no idea but I hope they decide that our most law abiding people in the country can in fact be trusted
    40mm likes this.

If they need to be 'de-activated' then why would you even need a license to own them....in the UK De-acts can be owned by pretty much anyone,no license required....same in many parts of Europe.If this became law there would be a good case to follow and make them available to anyone....
    mikee likes this.

Yeah they're going to have to put more effort in to their ideas for C-Cat. If some little shit 18 year old can buy a semi auto air pistol and take someones eye out with no license someone who's gone through the insane vetting and security requirements for C-Cat shouldn't be forced to weld their guns up into scrap metal. They've been able to trust them with fully functional full auto guns for decades and not one C-Catter has abused that trust.
    Beetroot and 40mm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by canross View Post
    If I had to take a wild and unsubstantiated guess they would require the firearms to be plugged, drilled, then welded to UN standards, but would still be categorized as C Cat as-per the law currently that doesn't recognize deactivation as changing a firearms category. So collectors would end up with screwed up metal blocks and still have to get vetted/inspected.

Edit - Kimjon beat me to it.
    Just take the firing pin out. NZ Herald says that without a firing pin, A gun can't fire. There you have it!
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12128131

Just zip it and sit tight! A lot is going on behind the scenes that will be to your advantage in the end. Just because you (and the lying news media) are not aware of it, do not assume that nothing is being done. Permanent deactivation is not on the cards (apart from the minds of a very few whacko politicians and public servants) and there is no way the Government could afford it. The Green Party snuck in an unworkable clause to the Act that vital parts for a 'Prohibited Firearm' have to be stored at a different address. That isn't going to fly unless the people at the address are also issued with an endorsement to hold the parts, and no collector is going allow irreplaceable parts for valuable semi-autos to be held in a place and conditions that they can't control. There will be several changes to this act before the amnesty period has expired. There is no need to panic.
    Bryan, nor-west, erniec and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    Just zip it and sit tight! A lot is going on behind the scenes that will be to your advantage in the end. Just because you (and the lying news media) are not aware of it, do not assume that nothing is being done. Permanent deactivation is not on the cards (apart from the minds of a very few whacko politicians and public servants) and there is no way the Government could afford it. The Green Party snuck in an unworkable clause to the Act that vital parts for a 'Prohibited Firearm' have to be stored at a different address. That isn't going to fly unless the people at the address are also issued with an endorsement to hold the parts, and no collector is going allow irreplaceable parts for valuable semi-autos to be held in a place and conditions that they can't control. There will be several changes to this act before the amnesty period has expired. There is no need to panic.

Good to hear!