Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: The consequences of rushed legislation

The consequences of rushed legislation

Someones giving away all the loop holes we were keeping quiet about. Pretty on the nose assessment though.

Help me out here, please.

How is the Mossberg 590 legal if it can hold nine 2 3/4" shells?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post

Because it can only hold five 3 1/2" shells which is the legal limit based on chamber size.
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post

Its dependent on chamber size. Eg chamber is 3.5 inch so magazine capacity calculated with 3.5 inch shells

Yeah, I really don't think this should be publicised. Not the second part of what's now potentially legal anyway. The way it's going about it screams "see how bad the bill is worded! Look at these scary looking black guns that are replacing pappy's old bunny rifle".

One of the small silver linings with the bill is the police's unhealthy obsession over purely aesthetic and ergonomic parts like pistol grips is being semi-dropped. Good. We can use that to our advantage or we can rub it in the public's face in an "I told you so" fashion. The latter isn't going to prompt the govt to unf**k things to re-allow the Marlin's and BSA's. They will never backtrack as it would be an admission of wrongdoing, too much egg on face to even consider it. No, they'll just double down and issue a fresh OIC to re-ban pistol grips.
    Dublin and Steve123 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PommyMcPomFace View Post
    Yeah, I really don't think this should be publicised. Not the second part of what's now potentially legal anyway. The way it's going about it screams "see how bad the bill is worded! Look at these scary looking black guns that are replacing pappy's old bunny rifle".

One of the small silver linings with the bill is the police's unhealthy obsession over purely aesthetic and ergonomic parts like pistol grips is being semi-dropped. Good. We can use that to our advantage or we can rub it in the public's face in an "I told you so" fashion. The latter isn't going to prompt the govt to unf**k things to re-allow the Marlin's and BSA's. They will never backtrack as it would be an admission of wrongdoing, too much egg on face to even consider it. No, they'll just double down and issue a fresh OIC to re-ban pistol grips.
    This.
    timattalon likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

In that case we'll just have to start making pseudo thumbhole grips for them. Déjà vu anyone?

It's gonna be a slo mo train smash, I can't help but feel.
    gadgetman, GWH and sightpicture like this.
    RIP Larry S. 19/02/19

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    This.
    Nothing in the law allows them to ban that AR-15 pump as far as I can see.

Replace sections 74A and 74B with:
    74A Order in Council relating to definitions of prohibited firearm, prohibited magazine, and prohibited ammunition
    The Governor-General may, by Order in Council made on the recommendation of the Minister,—
    (a)
    amend or replace the description in section 2A of a semi-automatic firearm (except a pistol) or pump action shotgun that is a prohibited firearm:
    (b)
    amend or replace the description in section 2B of a magazine that is a prohibited magazine:
    (c)
    declare any semi-automatic firearm (except a pistol) or pump-action shotgun of a stated name or description to be a prohibited firearm for the purposes of this Act:
    (d)
    declare any magazine of a stated name or description to be a prohibited magazine for the purposes of this Act:
    (e)
    declare any ammunition to be prohibited ammunition for the purposes of this Act.
    That AR-15 pump isn't a pump action shotgun, nor is it a semi-auto. OIC can't touch it from my reading?

It would take an entire act of parliament to ban it.
    gadgetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sykoticnz View Post

That AR-15 pump isn't a pump action shotgun, nor is it a semi-auto. OIC can't touch it from my reading?

Does it use an AR15 lower, or trigger?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    Does it use an AR15 lower, or trigger?
    Probably, but if it's part of a A cat firearm otherwise prohibited parts are allowed as I read it. Same thing that allows ar-15 stocks and grips to be used on bolt actions.

Probably, but if it's part of a A cat firearm otherwise prohibited parts are allowed as I read it. Same thing that allows ar-15 stocks and grips to be used on bolt actions.
    Na, as those parts can be used to assemble a semi-automatic. ie an ar15.
    I think you will get away with a pistol grip, a stock / handguard etc on a bolt action. But anything that is a integral to the operation of, or houses the workings of a semi-auto is no go. ie uppers/ lowers, triggers, mag catch / bolt release, BCG etc

I think you would have a hard time arguing that an AR15 lower and all its components are not a "part of a prohibited firearm", irrespective of what you are using it in conjunction with. Police would just slap an upper onto it in front of the court and show "this is part of a prohibited firearm". Same with any other part.
    Last edited by ChrisW; 11-04-2019 at 05:48 PM.

Nope, read Section 2A
    A prohibited firearm:...
    includes any other firearm declared by Order in Council made under*section 74A*to be a prohibited firearm for the purposes of this Act.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    Na, as those parts can be used to assemble a semi-automatic. ie an ar15.
    I think will get away with a pistol grip, or perhaps a stock / handguard on a bolt action. But anything that is a integral to the operation of, or houses the workings of a semi-auto is no go. ie uppers/ lowers, triggers, mag catch / release, BCG etc
    Can you point to the part of the law that shows that?

The closest I can see is this:

a part of a prohibited firearm, including a component, that can be applied to enable, or take significant steps towards enabling, a firearm to be fired with, or near, a semi-automatic action.
    But a lower doesn't allow that anymore than a barrel does! I believe that clause is aimed at MARS type things. Or semi auto bolt groups maybe?

This part here:

(2C)
    If the application for the issue of a permit for the purposes of section 16(1) is in relation to a prohibited part that may be used by a licence holder on or with a firearm that is not a prohibited firearm (a non-prohibited firearm), the Commissioner—
    (a)
    must be satisfied that the part will only be used by the licence holder with or on a non-prohibited firearm; and
    (b)
    may impose conditions on the permit that enable the Police to verify the use of that part.
    This part shows that you can import a part of a prohibited item (which based on the definition includes triggers etc) if you are going to use it on a non-prohibited firearm.