Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Knives Africa

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Data Security

Data Security

People are filling in online forms with tremendously sensitive information. Has anyone stopped to think k about this, or questioned the data security protocols in place to prevent a breach? Also, who exactly has access to this information, and are there any guarantees that the info won't fall into the wrong hands?

The consequences of a privacy breach or hack of the data would be that your details, including the details of exactly what prohibited weapons you have, and your address, become known to the public or media, even to criminals, and you are a very attractive place to shop...
    oxfarmer, quentin, 40mm and 1 others like this.

This is my big concern with firearms registration.
    40mm and sightpicture like this.

The simple truth is. "If it is connected to the internet, it can be hacked". If it is worth hacking, it is only a matter of time until it is done. If hackers can get into the Pentagon, FBI, White House, etc, which they have done in the past, they can sure as hell get into anything in this country. The only reason computers dont get hacked is because they are not worth hacking, but put something out there like a database of every gun owner, their address, and their weapons and it is like a red rag to a bull.
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Browning View Post
    The simple truth is. "If it is connected to the internet, it can be hacked". If it is worth hacking, it is only a matter of time until it is done. If hackers can get into the Pentagon, FBI, White House, etc, which they have done in the past, they can sure as hell get into anything in this country. The only reason computers dont get hacked is because they are not worth hacking, but put something out there like a database of every gun owner, their address, and their weapons and it is like a red rag to a bull.
    Computers do get hacked, individuals and companies. They encrypt your data, which is valuable to you, and demand a ransom to decrypt it.
    Mr Browning likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I'm not worried about data being encrypted, so much as being made public, with details of addresses and the firearms held there. This isn't theoretical any more. I suspect that we will face compulsory registration before the end of the year, for all firearms, but right here and now, people are acing a lot of trust in a system that we know nothing about.

There's already similar databases for cars, some (most?) worth much more than rifles. How often to theifs taregt them via a dabase? Not often I suspect. Mostly word of motuh that they become targets. Private insurance companies have databases of jewelery, boats, etc. Banks too.There's already databases of where FAL holders live and while the database does not have details of what A cat they have, chances are that there are one or more rifles stored there so already a target if existing database is hacked. Distressing if burgled however stuff that taken can usually be replaced. Nothing much has changed really.

Quote Originally Posted by uk_exile View Post
    There's already similar databases for cars, some (most?) worth much more than rifles. How often to theifs taregt them via a dabase? Not often I suspect. Mostly word of motuh that they become targets. Private insurance companies have databases of jewelery, boats, etc. Banks too.There's already databases of where FAL holders live and while the database does not have details of what A cat they have, chances are that there are one or more rifles stored there so already a target if existing database is hacked. Distressing if burgled however stuff that taken can usually be replaced. Nothing much has changed really.
    Fire arms can be moved a little more discretely than cars though. Cars are easy to see when they're parked.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Fire arms can be moved a little more discretely than cars though. Cars are easy to see when they're parked.
    True but what fire arms would be targeted by crims anyway? It's unlikely to be the legal ones. Priority target addresses will be those still with banned MSSA etc. Those firearms won't be in the database so the recent law changes means they'll go underground more, but those prepared to steal firearms will still know where they are. Maybe to a some degree a leaked register would makes fully law abiding FAL holder homes less likely burglary targets?
    Last edited by uk_exile; 12-04-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uk_exile View Post
    True but what fire arms would be targeted by crims anyway? It's unlikely to be the legal ones. Priority target addresses will be those still with banned MSSA etc. Those firearms won't be in the database so the recent law changes means they'll go underground more, but those prepared to steal firearms will still know where they are. Maybe to a some degree a leaked register would makes fully law abiding FAL holder homes less likely burglary targets?
    I think at this stage all burglaries where guns are taken is pretty much opportunistic unless they have heard through the grapevine someone actually has guns that is an easy target (ie: not kept in a safe, or the safe is easy to get out etc). I dont think they go after any particular type, but of course the better type, the better they score. In most cases, they only have to present a firearm, not use it, so it doesnt matter too much what sort it is. If a register was to fall into the wrong hands, I think everyone on that list would be higher risk for burglary. Burglars would then be able to shop to suit customers on the black market.

Side story: My Dad used to keep a .22 beside the bed against the wall with loaded mag. If he woke up in the morning and a bunny was on the lawn, he could pick it off (and did so many times). If he was on a register that got into the wrong hands, how easy would that have been to steal. And I bet there is a lot of that throughout farms in NZ. The rifle stays up the back window of the farm truck and is never locked at nights etc. it was always like that when I worked on farms.

I definitely think a leaked or hacked database is bad news.
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Browning View Post
    I think at this stage all burglaries where guns are taken is pretty much opportunistic unless they have heard through the grapevine someone actually has guns that is an easy target (ie: not kept in a safe, or the safe is easy to get out etc). I dont think they go after any particular type, but of course the better type, the better they score. In most cases, they only have to present a firearm, not use it, so it doesnt matter too much what sort it is. If a register was to fall into the wrong hands, I think everyone on that list would be higher risk for burglary. Burglars would then be able to shop to suit customers on the black market.

Side story: My Dad used to keep a .22 beside the bed against the wall with loaded mag. If he woke up in the morning and a bunny was on the lawn, he could pick it off (and did so many times). If he was on a register that got into the wrong hands, how easy would that have been to steal. And I bet there is a lot of that throughout farms in NZ. The rifle stays up the back window of the farm truck and is never locked at nights etc. it was always like that when I worked on farms.

I definitely think a leaked or hacked database is bad news.
    There have already been cases where a shopping list has been supplied to gangs from police records.

Don't need to hack the database, hack the one person who has access and a pressure point to leverage them on. That way the hack can go on undetected for months or years as required until someone stumbles over the link to the crimes...
    Cordite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Don't need to hack the database, hack the one person who has access and a pressure point to leverage them on. That way the hack can go on undetected for months or years as required until someone stumbles over the link to the crimes...
    That's the one I'm talking about.
    Cordite likes this.

Yes. Just as NSA has access to even Google's encrypted links.. Through cooperating Google employees on NSA's payroll.
    Join COLFO - Be a represented firearms owner.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    There have already been cases where a shopping list has been supplied to gangs from police records.
    Can you link the specific instance/s?
    The next hit we take will involve a gun register. I vaguely remember in a previous discussion elsewhere someone linking to a case (in America?) of crims shopping to a list from a register but can’t google it.
    I can google up piss poor compliance rates to gun registers from Germany to Canada.
    As far as data security, my favourite quote from the police association lately was to compare firearms data to the sex offenders register.
    Any remaining respect instantly evaporated.

I am not filling in anything online.

1 paper sheet hand-delivered to a (non-local) police station front office. Names and numbers of officer(s) or sworn citizens I leave it with.

1 copy with my lawyer (actually don't have one yet, but will be hiring).

When my info is leaked - it will be - I'll know where to start.