Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Knives Africa DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Docking tube magazines

Docking tube magazines

How easy, or otherwise, is it for a gunsmith to shorten a tube mag on a .22?

I know it may "ruin" many lovely old guns, but at least you could keep it and seems better than destruction.
    Last edited by Dama dama; 12-04-2019 at 04:50 PM.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

My understanding is that it is relatively simple. Looking at getting my model 60 done. Don't see why a suitable sized spacer couldn't be permanently fitted in the inner to restrict the follower as needed. This would preserve the appearance. Nothing in the current fu...I mean legislation seems to forbid it.

Don't put a follower in that compresses the spring or it will be forever feeling like first round you load is the sixth one loaded. Put a spacer in that runs inside the spring. Imagine a 12 inch long thin, flat head nail, with the head soldered or epoxied into the front of the mag, the pointy end of the nail pointing backwards and running inside the coil spring.
    Scooby and veitnamcam like this.
    Join COLFO - Be a represented firearms owner.

I don't think just "fixing" the follower will be allowed, because all you have to do is change the follower to an un-modified one and it is back to 15 shot. You would need to shorten the actual tube as well.

Wait until the police say if and how tube mags can be limited . I have heard via the grapevine that they are talking about it .
    Maca49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    I don't think just "fixing" the follower will be allowed, because all you have to do is change the follower to an un-modified one and it is back to 15 shot. You would need to shorten the actual tube as well.
    problem with that is you might find the end of the mag inside the fore end.

@gonetropo you are probably right. As much as I have fond memories of my rifle it is not worth the expense and hassle to fix it. I'll make the bastards pay for it and put the money towards another rifle.
    outdoorlad, kimjon and birch like this.

show me where to buy an original mag tube for my Colt Lightning from 1897 then , hey ?

roll a series of cannelures into the inside tube at the correct position. Just go deep enough to prevent the rim from passing , but not enough to stop the spring.
    Growlybear likes this.
    Cats have nine lives-which makes them ideal for experimentation...

@gonetropo you are probably right. As much as I have fond memories of my rifle it is not worth the expense and hassle to fix it. I'll make the bastards pay for it and put the money towards another rifle.
    I'm with you there. Unless it's something passed down or special, why pay to jump through these ridiculous hoops? I've got a really nice anniversary Marlin 60 with the 15 round tube mag, but it'll be worth $400 or so. To spend $150 to make a weird looking abortion would just be way more than I could put up with. I'd rather get that $400 off old horseface and buy something else for sure. I have 2 other rimfires caught up in this little farce, I'm going to turn the three into the best part of a nice lever action, probably a Marlin 30-30 or something. I figured the AR's being aluminium, they'll turn into a fishing boat of some sort.

And teachers, nurses and paramedics will get shafted, and I will bring up at every opportunity that I got their payrise and spent it on more guns while bad things still happened
    veitnamcam, 199p, Steve123 and 1 others like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Or you could equally postulate someone who has cut the tube short can later put on a tube extension. And why not ban all guns with mags on that basis as theycan all be modified. Main thing seems to be to have the gun in a legal configuration.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Join COLFO - Be a represented firearms owner.

if its loaded from the breach end...simple matter to "dent" the tube severly at the correct length....but arent .22s and shotguns of sporting configurations not included????

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    if its loaded from the breach end...simple matter to "dent" the tube severly at the correct length....but arent .22s and shotguns of sporting configurations not included????
    They have sneakily amended the allowable capacity. .22 down from 15 to 10, which effectively prohibits most, if not all tube mag rimfires.

That one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Growlybear View Post
    They have sneakily amended the allowable capacity. .22 down from 15 to 10, which effectively prohibits most, if not all tube mag rimfires.
    is that detach mags only or all mags

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    is that detach mags only or all mags
    All magazines except shotgun can have a max of 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk