Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Knives Africa Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: Fed. Farmers Up in Arms

Fed. Farmers Up in Arms

Just listened to Fed. Farmers President on ZB. Going on about how there will be a pest explosion now that farmers wonít have access to centrefire semis for pigs, goats deer and also only 10 rounds max for .22.
    Do any farmers actually feel this way? He went on to say that during there day to day travels they would normally carry a centrefire semi and deal to any pests on their travels and a bolt action just wouldnt be good enough.
    Iím an ex farmer and hunt on a lot of farm land. Iíve never seen a cockie carry round a semi. and donít know any myself that do personally. Mostly always a bolt action strapped to the front. Just interested to hear peoples views of this. He came across like a whining idiot really and hardly what Iíd call a representitative of the farming community. TBH most farmers I know, have stuff all the do with guns and get other people in to do it in the first place.
    Blisters likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by McNotty View Post
    Just listened to Fed. Farmers President on ZB. Going on about how there will be a pest explosion now that farmers won’t have access to centrefire semis for pigs, goats deer and also only 10 rounds max for .22.
    Do any farmers actually feel this way? He went on to say that during there day to day travels they would normally carry a centrefire semi and deal to any pests on their travels and a bolt action just wouldnt be good enough.
    I’m an ex farmer and hunt on a lot of farm land. I’ve never seen a cockie carry round a semi. and don’t know any myself that do personally. Mostly always a bolt action strapped to the front. Just interested to hear peoples views of this. He came across like a whining idiot really and hardly what I’d call a representitative of the farming community. TBH most farmers I know, have stuff all the do with guns and get other people in to do it in the first place.
    You seem very limited in your farming circles, there is enough crap being stirred by the anti's without it coming from within.
    Brian, Rich007, William and 4 others like this.

Maybe ask some farmers down the south island where the plague of rabbits hang out.
    Iv met a few farmers and about half if not more are keen critter shooters.
    Use enough gun

Maybe they shouldn't have been so quick to throw other firearms user's under the bus

I dont know too many farmers, but the ones I know are in various places throughout Central Otago and Canterbury and they all keep at least one in the 4x4 truck at all times. Rabbits and hares are cheap dog food, and if going up onto the hill blocks, something of bigger caliber for goats or the occasional pig or deer is always taken along. And most if not all have semis that I can recall.
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    Maybe ask some farmers down the south island where the plague of rabbits hang out.
    Iv met a few farmers and about half if not more are keen critter shooters.
    I know a couple rabbiters down south and both use bolt guns. Both have said even with 10 round mag in a semi, by the time you’ve shot that, very rarely are there critters in range.
    Just my opinion but everyone knows what they’re like.
    If you’re going to jump on national radio, at least do it with some valid, truthful points.

Quote Originally Posted by mawzer308 View Post
    Maybe they shouldn't have been so quick to throw other firearms user's under the bus
    Good call they were one of the "poster childs" straight out of the blocks about how they aren't needed.
    199p and sightpicture like this.

I know a couple rabbiters down south and both use bolt guns. Both have said even with 10 round mag in a semi, by the time you’ve shot that, very rarely are there critters in range.
    If you’re going to jump on national radio, at least do it with some valid, truthful points.
    Was on a Central Otago property a couple of months back. Honestly, it you didn't have a semi centre fire you were wasting your time at night. Preferably with night vision.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I guess if they are going for rabbits only then that would do. If it were me, I would use an AR. Good for almost anything except a few large things, if the shooter does his bit.
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Was on a Central Otago property a couple of months back. Honestly, it you didn't have a semi centre fire you were wasting your time at night. Preferably with night vision.
    Yeah, with a .22 you have to put it in a pretty small kill zone for a clean kill.
    With a .223 the whole rabbit is the kill zone.
    Some ignorant fuckers would say to learn to shoot and use a bolt gun.
    That only applies when shooting at one or two rabbits.... If you need to blast a bunch quickly you need to use enough gun to make up for poor shot placement.
    Use enough gun

i shoot on several farms now owned by lifestyle people, they are more than happy to let me shoot the bunny population. good for me, good for them and no cost for pest destruction and poison spread

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    i shoot on several farms now owned by lifestyle people, they are more than happy to let me shoot the bunny population. good for me, good for them and no cost for pest destruction and poison spread
    @gonetropo what do you use? semi or bolt? .22 or .223?
    Use enough gun

As some on who grew up farming in CHB and with the work I do I know a lot of farmers.
    Some have semi centre fire and use them for their pests and the ones that don't, pay people like me to deal with them, they usually the ones who are 70 plus or the rich who brought a farm and know nothing about farming.
    BRADS likes this.
    Liberty or Death

@gonetropo what do you use? semi or bolt? .22 or .223?
    95 percent 22 or 12 gu semi. a few with a 223 semi plus the occasional super long range with a 308 or 7mm rm. if i lose my 10/22 my favourite farmer will be gutted as he has lost a few animals from broken legs thru rabbit holes

Yeah, with a .22 you have to put it in a pretty small kill zone for a clean kill.
    With a .223 the whole rabbit is the kill zone.
    Some ignorant fuckers would say to learn to shoot and use a bolt gun.
    That only applies when shooting at one or two rabbits.... If you need to blast a bunch quickly you need to use enough gun to make up for poor shot placement.
    Not only that, often the terrain means you are also shooting at greater distance than a rim fire would offer. A semi centre fire is often just the right tool for the job. Particularly when you come across a mob of 20+ pigs doing a great job of ploughing up paddocks.
    veitnamcam and stingray like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!