Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Knives Africa Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Simon
  • 1 Post By RRA

Thread: Freestanding Pistol Grip and buffer tube on bolt action rifle also banned?

RRA

Freestanding Pistol Grip and buffer tube on bolt action rifle also banned?

Just wondering what will happen to the freestanding pistol grip and buffer tube currently been used on bolt action rifles and chassis? e.g. Ruger Precision Rifle, MDT chassis, DPT chassis etc. It's got be thousands of them out there. Please don't tell me we should replace them with the a-cat AR stock, I will go nuts just by picturing it in my mind.

Tough one - see below legislation, Important part is bold.

2C Meaning of prohibited part
    In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires, prohibited part means—
    (a) a part of a prohibited firearm:
    (b) a component that can be applied to enable, or take significant steps towards enabling, a firearm to be fired with, or near to, a semi-automatic or automatic action.

I think the likes of the MDT chassis (and perhaps ruger precision, im not too familiar with it) could be caught in the crossfire if they use actual AR15 grips / buffer tubes / parts. eg a magpul grip etc.

I think an A-cat AR15 stock would be a no-go as that is probably "part of a prohibited firearm". Maybe someone in NZ can make such a stock without provision for a buffer tube eg solid and not hollow?

In saying that, I don't think bolt actions with such parts are the target of the legislation...but we will see.
    Last edited by ChrisW; 03-04-2019 at 02:30 PM.

My understanding is they are still legal unless fitting them will allow / increase the firearms ability to fire at semi auto rate / near to semi auto rate.

I am not sure what the government will do about my trigger finger.
    According to my timer it can activate a firearms trigger 6-7 times per second.
    I like my finger and my wife does as well so I am reluctant to hand it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NZ32 likes this.

The lunacy of the whole appearance issue, especially with regard to "free standing pistol grips" is that all of my Anschutz target rifles, and others that has been built for similar purpose, ALL have so described grips, just like my Walther GSP pistol!
    Why? Because they are functionally better. It's usually called evolution.
    In case none of you have tried one, they are similar in ergonomic function to a "vertical mouse". I suggest you try one - wrist and forearm stress/strain disappear.

IIRC-this issue was the crux of a case taken by Richard Lincoln against NZ Police who were adamant ianFSPGcnstituted a MSSA classification on a weapon.Justice jillian Mallon heard the case in the palmy nth court -GUNDOC was expert defence witness and needless to say if the police had been a thoroughbred horse its doubtful if they'd have beaten sunset home .In fact justice mallon got quite savage with em -to wit"pull your heads in you are not judge jury and executioner,so dont even think about it.
    I downloaded the judgement and read it at leisure ,all 33pageswincing as i thought of her blunt words ricocheting down the corridors of police national HQ.formation arsetwitching and licking anyone.
    GUNDOCwould be best to give a precise opinion here i think

RRA
    Good point, they really ought to make this clear, both Tikka TAC A1's pistol grip and stock castle nut are interchangeable with AR's, branding is not an issue here. I believe they don't target the bolt actions for now, but I do have my doubt about their intention and ability to clarify this in the coming act. The penalty for owning prohibited parts is 10 years in jail, that's SAVAGE! get caught in the cross fire is as good as K.I.A. Ruger Precision Rifle, MDT chassis and many other chassis are DESIGNED to use existing AR parts, maybe that's not a good idea just taking our chances in this matter.

IMO if it comes standard on a bolt-action and the rifle is in its standard configuration then in the context its not a "part of a prohibited firearm", its part of a bolt-action.
    Maybe if you took it off, it could briefly be argued that its a prohibited part, in the same way it could be argued that a rifle without its stock installed is a pistol if it falls under the min length...but that's silly.

Where does it end? Is a screw of the same length/ thread pitch that holds an AR grip on "part of a prohibited firearm"? Only under a certain context.
    Last edited by ChrisW; 03-04-2019 at 03:23 PM.

RRA
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    IMO if it comes standard on a bolt-action and the rifle is in its standard configuration then in the context its not a "part of a prohibited firearm", its part of a bolt-action.
    Maybe if you took it off it could briefly be argued that its a prohibited part, in the same way it could be argued that a rifle without its stock installed is a pistol if it falls under the min length. Context is important, imo.

Where does it end? Is a screw of the same length/ thread pitch that holds an AR grip on a "part of a prohibited firearm"?
    If that screw can fix a pistol grip to AR lower receiver, most likely it would be, (a) a part of a prohibited firearm:
    (b) a component that can be applied to enable, or take significant steps towards enabling, a firearm to be fired with, or near to, a semi-automatic. THIS IS A BIG MUD POOL, WHAT A MESS! If they decide to screw us on one f**g screw, the wording of the act has just given them the authority to do so, and we stood very little chance.

Quote Originally Posted by RRA View Post
    If that screw can fix a pistol grip to AR lower receiver, most likely it would be, (a) a part of a prohibited firearm:
    (b) a component that can be applied to enable, or take significant steps towards enabling, a firearm to be fired with, or near to, a semi-automatic. THIS IS A BIG MUD POOL, WHAT A MESS!
    I don't think you need to worry, just as you don't need to worry about converting your rifle to a pistol when you take it out of its stock for cleaning. As I said I think context is important. If you tried to rob a dairy with a bolt-action without its stock you would probably be charged with pistol offences. If the police showed up while you had the rifle out of its stock for cleaning its highly unlikley you would be charged with possession of an illegal pistol.
    I don't think you would have much luck going into a bolt/fastener shop and buying a bunch of bolts & arguing that all these bolts are parts of prohibited firearms. If you had a bunch of grips and bolts to suit them, then in the context its part of a prohibited firearm. Anything can be anything when argued out of context.
    Last edited by ChrisW; 03-04-2019 at 03:41 PM.

RRA
    Thanks mate, let's hope it doesn't get that ugly.
    ChrisW likes this.

When the shit settles everyone should know the rules You ll have to know the rules. Print them out with the police logo.

Chuck a copy in the place where the safe lives

If you get called out have them ready and hook into them politely but strongly...
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

RRA
    Happy You Are 100% correct. I had a near miss on this. Approx 1 year ago, 2 armed police officers just showed up at the range to check up on us, they had their eyes on my short barrel AR and said it is short than 762mm minimum length requirement, I am E but not B. My SBR has 12.5inch barrel with a rifle length stock, and a LONG muzzle brake, together the total length is exact 790mm, I know the rules so I thought I'd be ok. But you know what? one of the officer said the muzzle brake should not be included as it can be taken off, without the brake I am screwed. They were about to take my gun and FAL, one club member stood up for me, he argued the rule says clearly if the muzzle devide cannot be taken off by hand, that must use tools to install or uninstall, then that device is INCLUDED in the total length. clearly he knows what he's talking about, then the officer reached my rifle and trying to take off the brake by hand, of course he failed, the device was installed by using AR armorers wrench crashed a crash washer pretty good, it will take a Hercules to unscrew it just by hand. Finally they gave up, gave me a warning and left pissed. What a lesson, if I put a suppressor on my rifle that day I would be totally screwed. I can only hope they won't leave too many grey areas this time like they usually do, otherwise our fate will only depend on someone's mood or just could be a cup of bad coffee.
    Last edited by RRA; 03-04-2019 at 05:29 PM.

Getting a non carbine mdt chassis/stock will avoid most of the issue. Only other is the grip.

Trying to convince a jumped up customs officer that the above chassis/stock combo is not an AR part is another story.