Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Knives Africa

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: Gun City owner quiet over controversial billboard outside Christchurch store

Banned

Gun City owner quiet over controversial billboard outside Christchurch store

As soon as I saw all those 30 round Pmag magazines and the drum magazine, I wondered to myself "Where would someone buy those sort of magazines, where the staff wouldn't ask any questions and just take the money?"

Probably from someone who's only concern is making money and where the owner responds to questions about their staff selling 50 Ruger 10/22s, folding stocks and large magazines, along with about 20 shotguns, to someone with an an A cat licence with "69 firearms bought by one person over 18 months might not have immediately raised any concerns".

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/111...stchurch-store

More in the link.

Gun City owner David Tipple is keeping quiet as outrage grows over a "mind-blowing" billboard still stationed outside his Christchurch store in the wake of Friday's terror attack.

Tipple says he will explain Gun City's "involvement in what's happening" and its "opinion on what could happen going forward" at a press conference on Monday.

He will also respond to concerns about the billboard, which shows a man teaching two young children how to shoot a target, outside the retailer's Cranford St gun store.

I don't see a problem with the billboard.

How do the people complaining see that as insensitive?
    Use enough gun

Thats a bit over the top isnt it.....Whats next ? Ban all advertisment of hunting and shooting related products?...remove access to all shooter games on the internet?....censor all our internet access?
    tetawa, stingray, keneff and 3 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

yeah nah....not going to comment other than to say tipple can fall over in shit and come up smelling of roses..... he does legit firearm owners no good at all.
    gsp follower likes this.

oh please there is now demand to rename the Crusaders rugby team, where will this stop?
    if the Crusaders have to be renamed then the All Blacks who are not all black must be renamed as well?
    A new name for the multi cultural New Zealand rugby team that is NOT All Black? where will it end?
    EeeBees, Maca49, kotuku and 6 others like this.
    Liberty or Death

pink rainbow fairies perhaps????
    gsp follower, erniec and Paddy79 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    pink rainbow fairies perhaps????
    Well some of them are from Auckland.........

Himmm I wander if there are any Grand theft Auto posters up? Our other such violent game posters in Christchurch?
    How can this be insensitive he’s promoting get outside and teach your kids how to use an air rifle safely.
    Not sit inside an shoot up the world on your TV. Really
    At present I’m seeing all these gangs coming out and do the haka etc all over tv in supposed support to the Muslim community. I find that a LOT more insensitive than this advertisement!
    gadgetman, EeeBees, Maca49 and 6 others like this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

For those that havent seen the sign, its a picture of an adult supervising 2 kids shooting an air rifle at a pellet trap target. If thats not showing correct firearms usage what is ?
    chainsaw, timattalon and Mathias like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy79 View Post
    oh please there is now demand to rename the Crusaders rugby team, where will this stop?
    if the Crusaders have to be renamed then the All Blacks who are not all black must be renamed as well?
    A new name for the multi cultural New Zealand rugby team that is NOT All Black? where will it end?
    This one was really over the top in my opinion. I can't work out if a lot of this stuff in the press is genuine sympathy or cold hearted fuckers just trying to get there 15 minutes of Fame or more than 250k likes on Facebook.

Everyone needs to calm down and think about what happened rationally.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    GravelBen and gsp follower like this.

Quote Originally Posted by aetchell View Post
    This one was really over the top in my opinion. I can't work out if a lot of this stuff in the press is genuine sympathy or cold hearted fuckers just trying to get there 15 minutes of Fame or more than 250k likes on Facebook.
    In essence it's both but I think the motive should be clear, we have "monetised" outrage so now people with a desire for attention simply have to win the outrage Olympics and as such everyone is looking for a new outrage mountain to climb, Gun City have worked hard to ensure they are out on the end of a quite skinny branch and are now surprised that people are sharpening their chainsaw blades.

Quote Originally Posted by aetchell View Post
    Everyone needs to calm down and think about what happened rationally
    dreams are free but I would not hold your breath.
    GravelBen, gsp follower and keneff like this.

I do think people need to sit down and reflect that is for sure. You can already see the knees getting ready for a big jerk. However I think the firearms community needs to think very carefully how it is going to handle the inevitable public backlash against firearms. I'm also sure that law change is going to happen it's only what those changes will be is the question. I renewed my licence not long ago after a long hiatus and I have admit I was a little stunned at the types of firearms available at Gun City. I can imagine what the non shooting public would think of them.

What changes to gun laws would be palatable to firearms owners in NZ. I have always thought it was odd that A cat rifles can be sold that accept high capacity magazines and those magazines are easily available with absolutely no restrictions on who can buy them. What do others think of this.

What about some way of modifying things a little so A Cat rifles are unable to accept high capacity mags and severely restrict the sale of them to E Cat holders only. It would require a change to how mags are made and some mods to A Cat rifles. I'm not a gunsmith so I don't know how feasible that is.

In some parts of the US mags require a two handed operation to change them. Slows down reloads and means the firearm needs to come off line for it as well giving people a chance to act.

Pistol grips will be contentious on both sides of the argument. Personally I think they make no difference but they do allow for easier handling while reloading etc.

Gun registers. Yes this will be highly contentious and will meet with most resistance. What about a small endorsement on your licence for semi automatics if more than one or two semi automatics. Maybe register if more than one or two. Somewhere a little more than A Cat but less that E Cat and not too difficult to get for legitimate users and collectors. Buying three or more on one licence in a certain time period could raise a flag somewhere perhaps. Not saying it can't be done but firearms officer could see why they are being bought in that way.

I'm not suggesting these should be implemented but I think the shooting community need to think about what they may compromise on. These comments are just food for thought and I wonder what others think and welcome sensible debate and opinions. Remember that after Friday change is inevitable it's just what will that change look like.

Talk to your associations as there will need to be a major PR exercise on firearms in NZ otherwise we will lose many more rights and freedoms we enjoy now.
    Last edited by Gordo; 18-03-2019 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    As soon as I saw all those 30 round Pmag magazines and the drum magazine, I wondered to myself "Where would someone buy those sort of magazines, where the staff wouldn't ask any questions and just take the money?"

Probably from someone who's only concern is making money and where the owner responds to questions about their staff selling 50 Ruger 10/22s, folding stocks and large magazines, along with about 20 shotguns, to someone with an an A cat licence with "69 firearms bought by one person over 18 months might not have immediately raised any concerns".

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/111...stchurch-store

More in the link.

Gun City owner David Tipple is keeping quiet as outrage grows over a "mind-blowing" billboard still stationed outside his Christchurch store in the wake of Friday's terror attack.

Tipple says he will explain Gun City's "involvement in what's happening" and its "opinion on what could happen going forward" at a press conference on Monday.

He will also respond to concerns about the billboard, which shows a man teaching two young children how to shoot a target, outside the retailer's Cranford St gun store.
    Tell me, if this clown had killed 50 people by driving a truck over them in a crowded street, would there be a demand to remove vehicle advertising signs. I say no, the clown would be blamed not the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneRob View Post
    In essence it's both but I think the motive should be clear, we have "monetised" outrage so now people with a desire for attention simply have to win the outrage Olympics and as such everyone is looking for a new outrage mountain to climb, Gun City have worked hard to ensure they are out on the end of a quite skinny branch and are now surprised that people are sharpening their chainsaw blades.

dreams are free but I would not hold your breath.
    You're totally correct on both counts. The modern world is a depressing quagmire of fragile feelings and attention seekers. I really don't think a lot of the current news articles out there since Friday are actually about or have any concern for what happened on Friday. Another one thats annoying me is the 'XXX have the footage/names/information but we have declined to publish it'. That just stinks of penis measuring between the different news outlets in a 'we had this information before your newspaper' etc etc way.
    timattalon and keneff like this.

Unfortunately though the media can and do swing public opinion to theirs own ideas as too many are gullible and believe everything they are fed by media. It's not right but is reality. The shooting community somehow need to go a a major PR offensive, not sure how but needs to be done very carefully.
    I can see what the bill board is trying to do but he has most likely gone about it the wrong way and perhaps the wrong person to push this message. Show kids with dads in the back country hunting and families enjoying the spoils of that back country. Couple of TV shows doing it pretty well. Right or wrong politicians will swing on public sentiment.