Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Knives Africa

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 29 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree694Likes

Thread: Gun laws about to change....

Gun laws about to change....

Was thinking overnight that the use of semi automatic fire arms will get looked at heavily now.

Shocking scenes yesterday in CHCH have put the spotlight on NZ Firearms laws and I imagine that it will be a massive overhaul coming.

Very sad to see so many families destroyed and terrorising peaceful people.
    My heart goes out to all affected by this senseless act.

I had hoped that this wouldn't get political so quickly, but alas appears we are no better than the rest of the world.

I would be open to reviewing firearm laws to avoid this happening again, but there needs to be a full investigation into:
    A, How this guy was able to move here and get a gun licence
    B, How was he able to spout all that nonsense on twitter and not get a vistit from the plod.

I think the best we can hope for is all military style semi be made Ecat (AR, AK etc) and still keep our mini 14s, semi shotguns and 22s.
    But it's far more likely that will go full retard and try the Australian route.

Regardless, until all the information has been gathered and emotions have calmed there shouldn't be any discussion at all.

I am truely saddened as to what has happened in CHCH and feel embarrassed as a New Zealander that this has happened.
    As beetroot said emotions need to have calmed before this gets looked into any further.
    My understanding was one of NZ First policies was NOT to change any gun laws but I’m guessing they will reneg on that now. Interesting times ahead .

It's always been readily apparent that NZ First cynically appeal to margin groups of single-issue voters to grub up their 5% and get a slice of the pie with no actual belief in what they're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    It's always been readily apparent that NZ First cynically appeal to margin groups of single-issue voters to grub up their 5% and get a slice of the pie with no actual belief in what they're saying.
    Maybe. But anyone who opposes some sensible and well thought out firearm law changes after this human tragedy is probably myopic in the extreme and have more personal interests in the outcome than Winston has in staying in Parliament.

The best Winston could do is support changes that are appropriate and proportional - I would expect that of him - regardless of NZF's vote catching pre election policy.

I'm not offering an opinion on possible law changes so much as an opinion on NZ First generally

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I'm not offering an opinion on possible law changes so much as an opinion on NZ First generally
    OK. See I added a bit while you were replying. And I agree generally about NZ First.

It feels very insensitive to discuss potential legislative ramifications of this event at such an early juncture but it's the subject of inevitable speculation from all sides so why miss out, I suppose.

Its a cheap simplistic response from a politician who hasn't got a clue. Its absolutely the wrong response... and absolutely not the point... A gun did did not CAUSE this. Its a petty, ignorant platitude to the ignorant, the unintelligent and emotionally incapable. How about looking at the actual cause?

Maybe shutting down the disaffected, ignoring them, not exposing them to the wider public scrutiny, and not allowing sunlight and feedback into their little dark echo chambers may have contributed to causing this. Maybe forcing these people to lose more voice will increase the likelihood of it happening again and more often. But no thats too difficult for this lot to understand and instead what do we get...??? A simpleton's response to a difficult issue. A simpleton's response that would not have prevented this. A silly little girl who knows nothing about anything and is all too willing to sacrifice everybody's freedoms for some isolated retards immoral behaviour.

You cannot eliminate the statistical outlier and you cannot regulate them out of existence by penalising the whole community. It is very likely that you will increase these disaffected people by doing exactly that. There will always be a cost to having freedoms - don't be in such a hurry to give them up to well intentioned incompetent fools, whose incompetent and predicable response will not have any benefit to anyone and is very likely to create more harm.

While I have no compunction about questioning how we do things and how we go about them, I absolutely abhor conclusion reached by ignorant assumption. And that is precisely what this silly little girl is doing.
    Last edited by Sidney; 16-03-2019 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew11 View Post
    I am truely saddened as to what has happened in CHCH and feel embarrassed as a New Zealander that this has happened.
    As beetroot said emotions need to have calmed before this gets looked into any further.
    My understanding was one of NZ First policies was NOT to change any gun laws but I’m guessing they will reneg on that now. Interesting times ahead .
    Well, Winny has broken every other promise he made pre-election, he'll probably be consistent with this one as well. Just another politician who would sell his arse for a term in the beehive.
    chainsaw, 40mm and outlander like this.
    I used to have a handle on Life - but it broke.

I do not believe a change in law will solve anything. As Sidney said, itís the bad man that does the bad things. Not an inanimate object although it does make it easier.

It will be interesting to see how the Police react to this in relation to general arming. It was already on the table and now this event in Chch has happened. It may be a toppling point for that piece of policy anyway.
    gadgetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    Its a cheap simplistic response from a politician who hasn't got a clue. Its absolutely the wrong response... and absolutely not the point... A gun did did not CAUSE this. Its a petty, ignorant platitude to the ignorant, the unintelligent and emotionally incapable. How about looking at the actual cause?

Maybe shutting down the disaffected, ignoring them, not exposing them to the wider public scrutiny, and not allowing sunlight and feedback into their little dark echo chambers may have contributed to causing this. Maybe forcing these people to lose more voice will increase the likelihood of it happening again and more often. But no thats too difficult for this lot to understand and instead what do we get...??? A simpleton's response to a difficult issue. A simpleton's response that would not have prevented this. A silly little girl who knows nothing about anything and is all too willing to sacrifice everybody's freedoms for some isolated retards immoral behaviour.

You cannot eliminate the statistical outlier and you cannot regulate them out of existence by penalising the whole community. It is very likely that you will increase these disaffected people by doing exactly that. There will always be a cost to having freedoms - don't be in such a hurry to give them up to well intentioned incompetent fools, whose incompetent and predicable response will not have any benefit to anyone and is very likely to create more harm.

While I have no compunction about questioning how we do things and how we go about them, I absolutely abhor conclusion reached by ignorant assumption. And that is precisely what this silly little girl is doing.
    I feel obligated to point out that your choice of words to describe our prime minister is likely to result in anyone who matters ignoring everything else you say, regardless of the merits of your points. Presentation matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Maybe. But anyone who opposes some sensible and well thought out firearm law changes after this human tragedy is probably myopic in the extreme and have more personal interests in the outcome than Winston has in staying in Parliament.

The best Winston could do is support changes that are appropriate and proportional - I would expect that of him - regardless of NZF's vote catching pre election policy.
    Yes. I prefer the word "effective", but for that we first need answers what happened and what went wrong. NZP will not be forthcoming about the latter, just like post-Aramoana, so the chance is it will be used to drive firearms restrictions, effectiveness out the window.
    gadgetman likes this.

Common sense won’t be applied. Votes are required to stay in parliament and the general public require some kind of “consequence” toward firearms to feel like something has been done.
    To understand you must first listen but the shouting will drown any chance of being heard.

I feel obligated to point out that your choice of words to describe our prime minister is likely to result in anyone who matters ignoring everything else you say, regardless of the merits of your points. Presentation matters.
    Maybe...

or maybe being nice will allow them to steam roll what they want to do in the total absence of any perceived resistance and apparent total capitulation.

Its a bit hard to say exactly... where the appropriate level of passion needs to be displayed in this awful situation...

Its an absolute insult to anyones intelligence that blaming an inanimate object for committing a crime is anything but profound stupidity. Those that keep doing it seem to need to have that explained to them and are by definition either stupid or treating us like we are.

The law understands this perfectly... the act is animate (powered by humans), the intent is human... it only becomes a crime if both of those things are present. Its only politicians that don't seem to have a clue about this stuff...

Pandering to this sort of ignorance is either stupid or cynical exploitation... either way playing nice appears to not have worked well so far. And frankly I find it offensive to be treated as if I am stupid without justification.

My intention is not to minimise the tragedy. But I would far rather the authorities worked on cause than on side issues.. that is an insult to the victims.
    Last edited by Sidney; 16-03-2019 at 03:15 PM.