Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: 'Haunted' John Banks says semi-automatic weapons should have been banned in 1990

Banned

'Haunted' John Banks says semi-automatic weapons should have been banned in 1990

'Haunted' John Banks says semi-automatic weapons should have been banned in 1990

TONY WALL
    14:22, Mar 29 2019

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/chr...banned-in-1990

Former Police Minister John Banks says the Christchurch mosque massacres could have been prevented if he'd been able to convince his colleagues to ban semi-automatic weapons after the Aramoana tragedy.

"I'm going to accept responsibility here, I'm not going to shirk - it could well be that we wouldn't have lost our innocence in 2019 if I had been able to convince my caucus colleagues," the former Auckland mayor said.

"But I just didn't have the numbers. It was the missed political opportunity of the 1990s.

"It's the greatest disappointment of my political life ... not having the numbers ... to be able to rid this country of these killing machines."

Banks had been Minister of Police just two weeks when David Gray killed 13 people at Aramoana using semi-automatic weapons on November 13, 1990.

"I have indelible memories of walking amongst the victims the day after the killings," he said.

"Since Christchurch, I haven't been able to get out of my mind a small boy aged about eight ... lying dead on the ground with his eyes wide open and the look of fear that I've never forgotten. That young boy has haunted me these last couple of weeks."

In the weeks and months after the Aramoana massacre the country debated changes to gun laws and the Commissioner of Police, John Jamieson, announced a ban on the importation of military-style semi automatics (MSSAs).

But a pro-gun group challenged the move in the High Court, saying Jamieson didn't have the power to ban imports.

The challenge was successful, but the Bolger Government stepped in and re-instated the ban, using powers under the Customs Act.

"We said at the time the Commissioner moved to ban them we saw no need for these weapons in New Zealand," Bolger said in August, 1991.

"They had no sporting use in any real sense, and therefore they should be banned."

Banks promised changes to the Arms Act would enshrine the import ban in legislation and tighten controls around MSSAs already in the country.

He was accused of a backdown when the amended act came out in 1992 without a ban on imports, but a requirement for a special class of licence for MSSAs.

"I could not convince rural, provincial members of [caucus] that it was a good idea to completely ban semi-automatics," Banks said on Friday.

"I told the caucus at the time ... 'we will live to regret this decision'.

'I thought ... if I can't convince my colleagues now, then when?' I told the Parliament 'this will revisit us, while these guns are out there and there are crazy people, Aramoana will revisit'."

Banks said the fact that the massacre wasn't enough to have the weapons banned was "shocking".

"The misguided zealots inside the gun lobby had the ascendancy even after Aramoana - they were people of considerable influence on the small minds of rural, provincial Members of Parliament."

Banks said at the forefront of the pushback against law reforms was David Tipple of Gun City, whose business sold weapons to the alleged Christchurch terrorist.

"He's still around today, peddling these weapons."

In the years following Aramoana, successive Governments resisted calls for MSSAs to be banned, Police Minister Jack Elder saying in reaction to the 1997 Thorp report on firearms that he wanted to keep gun owners on board rather than "waving a big stick" by threatening to seize their guns.

Banks praised Jacinda Ardern for banning MSSAs after the Christchurch "calamity".

"I give full marks to this Prime Minister and this Government for front footing these matters."

He said the ban could act as a tribute to the small boy he saw that day in November, 1990, and hadn't been able to forget.

"While we didn't [ban MSSAs] then .. .Aramoana has also right now in 2019 been a catalyst for the changes we're witnessing."

"The misguided zealots inside the gun lobby had the ascendancy even after Aramoana - they were people of considerable influence on the small minds of rural, provincial Members of Parliament."

What an arrogant tool.

I really hope he will always blame himself for childishly focusing on bayonet lugs, flash hiders, pistol grips and folding stocks...instead of just outright banning the ONLY thing that ever mattered: larger magazines.

But no, they left them unregulated and available for anyone without firearms license or even a driving license to buy.
    Last edited by Cordite; 29-03-2019 at 04:39 PM.
    tetawa, JoshC, mikee and 10 others like this.
    Join COLFO - Be a represented firearms owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post

What an arrogant tool.

I really hope he will always blame himself for childishly focusing on bayonet lugs, flash hiders, pistol grips and folding stocks...instead of just banning the only thing that ever mattered: larger magazines. They left them unregulated and available for anyone without firearms license or even a driving license to buy.
    And there lies the crux of the whole circus. We really should not send these people food.
    Happy, Steve123 and Cordite like this.

Lol, this is the same guy that said, in 2012, that he wanted to support gun owners going through the pistol grip change, because he thought he got it wrong in the 90's and he wanted votes for his fledgling party (act). This guy has zero credibility.

and look at his criminal record!
    trustworthy? like f__k !!!
    Maca49 likes this.

Yesterday's man
    Maca49 and Steve123 like this.

Another polly milking it. Might need to change the name of The Beehive to Fonterra.
    Boaraxa and 40mm like this.

This is the "asleep at the wheel" Police Minister that effectively oversaw the Aramoana massacre - he had no credibility then and his subsequent flip-flopping lends him even less credibility now. Respectfully Mr Banks: Fuck off - while crocodile tears are expected of a politician, the fact that you would connect two horrendous failings of Police so many year's apart to your own worldview (which changes based on your audience) speaks more to your lack of soul than your effectiveness in any form of political role. Again, just fuck off.

Banks dad was a bank robber I think and his mother was a back street abortionest awesome family

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sometimes1 View Post
    Banks dad was a bank robber I think and his mother was a back street abortionest awesome family
    Yes. But he got into Parliament and was the Police Minister. And the mayor of Auckland too.

So in spite of his family he seems to have done alright for himself.

Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    Yes. But he got into Parliament and was the Police Minister. And the mayor of Auckland too.

Plenty of con men do alright for themselves: are you going to argue that a politician is anything more than a con man (person) when they need votes?
    ebf, Ryan, Boaraxa and 2 others like this.

He was an abject failure at both, along with the rest of that club of alcoholics.

You nailed it though "done alright for himself"
    ebf, 40mm and Cordite like this.

Maybe you should ask his Son what he thinks of him

Met the smarmy jumped up so and so. Great political nose but always "whats in it for me" trust like a snake in the grass.

He's got it wrong on this occasion, but some of the comments on here are fucking disgusting. Banks is a bloody good man, and most people have no clue about a ton of the good he did, and does to this day.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt