Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Have your say.....

Have your say.....

gunlawchanges@parliament.govt.nz

Be succinct, use evidence. Explain your personal reason for owning a semi automatic.

Be objective when you review the laws, do you think they will work? How about the wording? Is the new system robust or is it open for abuse.

What alternative suggestions do you have, how would they work?

Those of our community sitting on the fence or supporting the current changes. Your opinion is your own, I will not admonish you for it.

However be realistic, can we achieve the same results without stripping our community of privelages? Is it worth supporting our community even if you don't own one of the firearms in mention?

I believe the coming laws are going to be poorly constructed, poorly defined and will leave large grey areas.
    A330driver likes this.

One of the issues on my mind is the cost to govt. I am concerned they may propose increased licencing fees on ALL licence holders and even impose increasing compliance costs such as changing even A Cat gunsafes etc. These plethora of fees are just the sort of things bureaucrats delight in, not careing about the fiscal hardship on legitimate status quo. In short, I am concerned about the potential cost impositions on our sports in the short medium and long term.
    northdude, Nick-D and 40mm like this.

Thanks for that, I will write this weekend

heres a few of my thoughts what ever law is bought in there will always be people who abuse it the people the laws are aimed at simply wont comply its as simple as that all they can hope to achieve is minimizing the affects when this happens again in my opinion and im not trying to shit on any one the main factor other than a fuckwit was allowed a firearms licence was the magazine capacity had he only been able to have 5 or 7 shot mags it would of given some of those unfortunate souls willing to put their life on the line a better opportunity to restrain the offender my idea would be a magazine amnesty if you have them and only hold an a cat could be more succesfull than expecting people to hand firearms in e cat holders need to present their mags and have serial numbers on them and recorded or worst case allow 1 mag per firearm not the best ideas but its better than loosing your firearm altogether as it stands now there are anyones guess of how many a cat mssas in circulation and there are people out there that aren't going to hand them in that coupled with hi cap mags in circulation is a criminals dream come true the rifles that wont be handed in wont be kept secure in safes so to avoid being found should you get searched making access to them easy for any one that come across one if there is a pay out and they are offering say 2000 and mr crim comes along and offers 4-5000 + its a no brainer where they are going to end up and lastly if the dumb arses wanted to get these mssas out of circulation why didn't they years ago set up a department and just buy them up gradually as they came up for sale on tm etc and get rid of them could of been a bit cheaper and before any one relised what was going on they would of removed more of them than expecting them to just be handed in

Is there actually any of the law being released yet.

The actual wording? I couldn't find any.
    KiwiinSeattle likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Is there actually any of the law being released yet.

The actual wording? I couldn't find any.
    Nothing I've seen, just this one page and a similar one from the Police which is pretty vague and raises more questions than it answers.
    Arms (Military Style Semi-automatic Firearms) Order 2019 (LI 2019/55) – New Zealand Legislation

I signed the petition calling for a longer consultative period, but need to know more details before making a submission.

Wheres the petition

Nothdude - apologies but I had to re-write your post to make it readable . Mr Punctuation was away the day you wrote it but he is back now

From Northdude -
    heres a few of my thoughts;
    what ever law is bought in there will always be people who abuse it .The people the laws are aimed at simply wont comply - its as simple as that. All they can hope to achieve is minimizing the affects when this happens . Again in my opinion, and I'm not trying to shit on any one ,the main factor - other than a fuckwit was allowed a firearms licence - was the magazine capacity. Had he only been able to have 5 or 7 shot mags it would of given some of those unfortunate souls willing to put their life on the line a better opportunity to restrain the offender .
    My idea would be a magazine amnesty if you have them and only hold an a cat .Could be more successful than expecting people to hand firearms in. E cat holders need to present their mags and have serial numbers on them and recorded, or worst case allow 1 mag per firearm . Not the best ideas but its better than losing your firearm altogether as it stands now .Here are anyones guess of how many A cat mssas in circulation and there are people out there that aren't going to hand them in. That coupled with hi cap mags in circulation is a criminals dream come true. The rifles that wont be handed in wont be kept secure in safes so to avoid being found should you get searched - making access to them easy for any one that come across one. If there is a pay out and they are offering say 2000 and mr crim comes along and offers 4-5000 + its a no brainer where they are going to end up.
    And lastly if the dumb arses wanted to get these mssas out of circulation why didn't they years ago set up a department and just buy them up gradually as they came up for sale on tm etc and get rid of them. Could of been a bit cheaper and before any one realised what was going on they would of removed more of them than expecting them to just be handed in
    CamFlatt likes this.
    Cats have nine lives-which makes them ideal for experimentation...

No worries and thank you im dumb when it comes to writing but theres other stuff im good at
    gadgetman, Maca49, xtightg and 1 others like this.

Dont apologise mate , I am old school and need punctuation to be able to read it . You young guys manage without , it seems
    northdude likes this.
    Cats have nine lives-which makes them ideal for experimentation...

im not as young as you would think just been one of those people that can do stuff from brain to hands not brain to paper the biggest problem they have here but skirt around the edge of is there are to many a cat mssas and hi cap mags in circulation for them to ever be able to police you should never been able to buy an e cat mag without having an e cat licence not much point having the law and no process in place to limit people abusing it could of saved all this crap happening im not trying to shit on the e cat guys either but threres going to be change wheather we like it or not we just need to minimize it across the board im picking they will ban all mssa rifles in the end
    Jewcati likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    No worries and thank you im dumb when it comes to writing but theres other stuff im good at
    @northdude Mate, to me it is not how you write, but what you write. What you write is brilliant and that's what matters. Often, I find, if something is not perfectly written then it takes more time to read it and the result is that people actually read it better.
    Steve123 and Sarvo like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

RNZ News just now said COLFO and ACT considered more time should be taken in considering gun law changes.
    They then (RNZ)anounced that Police minister Stuart Nash had said words to the effect that parliament would not be considering submissions from the gun lobby as parliament had already agreed to accept
    the changes already in train and that the majority of New Zealanders agreed !
    CRIPES ! ? Where is tge referendum?
    Last edited by Woody; 23-03-2019 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    RNZ News just now said COLFO and ACT considered more time should be taken in considering gun law changes.
    They then (RNZ)anounced that Police minister Stuart Nash had said words to the effect that parliament would not be considering submissions from the gun lobby as parliament had already agreed to accept
    the changes already in train !
    CRIPES ! ?
    Gotta love our democracy!

Quote Originally Posted by cameronjackwhite View Post
    Gotta love our democracy!
    I think in this instance democracy might be a poor choice of words...

Edit:

I'm crossposting this from this thread ( https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....68/#post809354 ) because it's probably relevant to anyone who wants to be heard:

Physical mail is often far more effective than email, and above all, no postage needed!
    Generally an MP's staff will group emails into different folders for common subjects (IE Pro-gun, anti-gun, pro-spending etc), then send out mass copy-paste emails to respond... emails seldom are actually read. Sometimes they take a count of how many are in each folder but that's usually where it ends.

Physical mail requires their responding to individual letters in kind which takes more of their time and effort, and therefore more attention. Generally physical mail has more attention paid to it as well as it is rarer to receive these days, and people who send letter mail tend to be invested in the topic enough that they will later vote in relation to it.

You can mail your letter for free to any MP you like using the following mailing address:

[insert MP name]
    Freepost Parliament
    Private Bag 18 888
    Parliament Buildings
    Wellington 6160

Feel free to message me if you would like editing, spelling and punctuation proofreading etc. Remember, you stand to lose a hobby you love and all the money invested in it, be polite, logical, from the heart, and above all, do it!

"Contact an MP - By Post" https://www.parliament.nz/en/get-inv...contact-an-mp/
    "Members of Parliament - Reference list" https://www.parliament.nz/en/mps-and...of-parliament/

*Spanners - apologies if crossposting isn't allowed, completely understand if it's not allowed.
    Last edited by canross; 23-03-2019 at 01:26 PM.