Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: The law change in a nutshell

foxhound and MB like this.

Thanks for that

Thanks.

I will be very interested to see if I can indeed get a permit to procure & if I do how long before they want them anyway....

Intrestingly I was informed by arms office to use form 67X to create a mssa which I've done this weekend.. Will have to see if that works as I officially own them anyway.

Nothing about compensation or buy back on that.

MB
    Thanks. It's what the less hysterical folk thought the outcome would be, if indeed it is the final outcome. No mention of rimfire magazine capacities I see.

I think there is a fair bit of miss-information coming from the police HQ.

It doesn't really help though. What does "capable" mean?
    Does it mean that if a greater than 5 round magazine is avaliable somewhere in the world then it is an MSSA. Or does it mean if it is able to be modified to be able to take a greater then 5 round magazine?
    Seems like the Remington woodmaster is now an MSSA as there are 10 round mags avaliable.
    But what about Browning BAR? Hechler and Koch 770? Benelli Argo? Winchester 1910?
    There are two many un-answered questions.
    There seems to be talk that .22 semi's with greater than 10 round mags will also be banned, even though they are not mentioned in the current legislation.
    What about shotgun semis with tube mags that can have extended magazines fitted?

Read the orders in council again and put punctiation in it, shotguns, with removable magazines, that hold more then five rounds are now e-cat. Nothing about a tube mag even if it holds seven .
    gadgetman and A330driver like this.

It's the same tactic used in '92 with the e-cat classification, smoke screen to grab as many guns as possible BEFORE parliment legislation was passed.

Where/how did you find that link johnd it does clear things up for e cat holders, What is the deal on pump action shotguns that have mag capacity of 7.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Does it mean that if a greater than 5 round magazine is avaliable somewhere in the world then it is an MSSA. Or does it mean if it is able to be modified to be able to take a greater then 5 round magazine?
    Seems like the Remington woodmaster is now an MSSA as there are 10 round mags avaliable.
    But what about Browning BAR? Hechler and Koch 770? Benelli Argo? Winchester 1910?
    There seems to be talk that .22 semi's with greater than 10 round mags will also be banned, even though they are not mentioned in the current legislation.
    What about shotgun semis with tube mags that can have extended magazines fitted?
    Precisely...and this is exactly what I wrote in the submission I sent regards the proposed law changes.....the contradictions that have been coming out so far have done little but confuse shooters.As people don't actually understand what will remain legal and what will not.

Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    Read the orders in council again and put punctiation in it, shotguns, with removable magazines, that hold more then five rounds are now e-cat. Nothing about a tube mag even if it holds seven .
    I have read it,
    From the Police website

"Firearms that are not affected by the Order in Council include:

rimfire 0.22 semi-automatic rifles,
    semi-automatic shotguns with a tubular magazine that holds five or less rounds, and
    pump action shot guns with a tubular magazine that holds five or less rounds."

Where does tube mag shotguns needing to hold 5 or less come from? The original MSSA classification was semi's with a 7 shot or smaller mag. So where does the 5 round tube mag rule come from?

If the "capable" of having a greater than 5 round mag for centrefire semis is being enforced, it seems strange they have left out semi shotguns that are "capable" of having extended mags fitted that will give greater than 5 shot capability.

Quote Originally Posted by foxhound View Post
    Where/how did you find that link johnd it does clear things up for e cat holders, What is the deal on pump action shotguns that have mag capacity of 7.

The item came to me by way of TSNZ ( target shooting NZ )

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    What about an SKS that holds seven? Not an aftermarket mag and "A Cat" on the reciever. Is it time to tutu with the follower?
    Crispyman likes this.