Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: Letter from Parliament re upcoming ban.

Letter from Parliament re upcoming ban.

Dear Correspondent

Thank you for your email to New Zealand First regarding firearms law reform. Your correspondence has been passed onto me in my role as New Zealand First spokesperson for outdoor recreation, which includes firearms.

Rt Hon Winston Peters stated that “At 1pm on the 15th of March our world changed forever, and so will our gun laws.”

New Zealand First believes that the ban of military style semi-automatics and assault rifles is necessary in order to prevent such a tragedy from occurring again and make our country a safer place.

We understand that there are many owners with legitimate uses for guns, such as our farming communities. The Government’s firearms reforms are not meant to target these individuals, and this is why exemptions have been set out for 0.22 calibre rifles and shotguns.

The legislation will also include narrow exemptions for legitimate business use, which would include professional pest control. Police and the Defence Force will also have exemptions. Issues like access for mainstream international sporting competitions are also being worked through

The buyback scheme the Government has announced should also offer a reprieve to legitimate firearms owners who will be affected by the ban.

There are also other factors that need to be considered in relation to the accessibility of firearms. This ban is the first step, other reforms are also being considered such as a guns register and changes to licencing. The Coalition Government has also announced a Royal Commission of Inquiry into the country's security agencies after the Christchurch terror attacks.

We are receiving a wide-range of feedback on this national issue, and I thank you for your input. This Bill will be going through select committee and it will be possible for you to submit your thoughts there too for consideration.

Thank you again for writing.

Clayton Mitchell

New Zealand First List MP

Spokesperson for Outdoor Recreation
    Join COLFO - Be a represented firearms owner.

And one from a National MP, Jacqui Dean.

Hon Jacqui Dean

Wed, 27 Mar, 11:15 (22 hours ago)

to me

Dear [Cordite]

Thanks for your message regarding changes to our firearms laws following the tragic events in Christchurch on March 15.

National supports changes to our firearms laws. We want to make sure that what happened on March 15 never happens again.

We agree that the public doesn’t need access to military style semi-automatic weapons. National supports them being banned along with assault rifles.

We also support the Government’s proposals to limit the access to other high powered semi-automatic weapons and ammunition.

We remain committed to ensuring the safety of New Zealanders and fighting extremism in all forms.

National will work constructively with the Government to ensure we get this right.

Thank you for taking the time to write.

This part appears worrying

"We also support the Government’s proposals to limit the access to other high powered semi-automatic weapons and ammunition."
    40mm likes this.

Time to start a stockpile while I can still get reloading components. Historic events in the US have shown time and again that after an event like March 15, a supply and demand problem with ammunition will occur.
    Our MP's talking of limiting access to ammunition is not going to help with this either.

Just makes the black market a lucrative option for some

Quote Originally Posted by quentin View Post
    Time to start a stockpile while I can still get reloading components. Historic events in the US have shown time and again that after an event like March 15, a supply and demand problem with ammunition will occur.
    Our MP's talking of limiting access to ammunition is not going to help with this either.
    a few years back i went rabbit shooting in the mackenzie basin, i took 500 22lr rounds and ran out after a day.
    Cordite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    And one from a National MP, Jacqui Dean.

Hon Jacqui Dean

Wed, 27 Mar, 11:15 (22 hours ago)

to me

Dear [Cordite]

National supports them being banned along with assault rifles. What is she talking about?

We also support the Government’s proposals to limit the access to other high powered semi-automatic weapons and ammunition. Alarming
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Dear Correspondent

Thank you for your email to New Zealand First regarding firearms law reform. Your correspondence has been passed onto me in my role as New Zealand First spokesperson for outdoor recreation, which includes firearms.

Rt Hon Winston Peters stated that “At 1pm on the 15th of March our world changed forever, and so will our gun laws.”

New Zealand First believes that the ban of military style semi-automatics and assault rifles is necessary in order to prevent such a tragedy from occurring again and make our country a safer place. They seem to have made all semi autos MSSA and AR15s are assault rifles

We understand that there are many owners with legitimate uses for guns, such as our farming communities. The Government’s firearms reforms are not meant to target these individuals, and this is why exemptions have been set out for 0.22 calibre rifles and shotguns. Translation, if you are not a farmer, you do not have a legitimate reason to own a gun.

Spokesperson for Outdoor Recreation

I have reflected on that.

"Assault Rifles" may refer to a mistaken notion of what the AR in AR-15 stands for, thus meaning an AR-15 ban.
    Or it may be accurate use of language, thus referring to selective-fire rifles lawfully held by Collectors.

I did not spot the ammunition thing. "Effective legislation" they said...

Ammunition would be a tricky one. Maybe they want to stop people having large amounts of ammo. You could control how much they buy at one shop at one time, but buying a lot of ammo doesn't equal stockpiling if you are also shooting a lot. My last trip to the range we used 169 rounds, admittedly a large proportion as 22lr. We already have to produce our FAL to buy ammo, so what more can they do, other than get the gunshops to record details like they do for guns, which still achieves nothing to prevent terrorism, it only gives them a trail to follow after the fact.

And with any law change we need to remember that terrorists and criminals will not follow the law anyway.
    gadgetman and 40mm like this.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  91.5 KB
    Pengy, nightshooter, 40mm and 1 others like this.
    Farmers Feed The World..
    The Only Thing Not Delivered By Truck Are Babies...

Quote Originally Posted by oraki View Post
    Would be interesting to see how that compares to un-licenced over the same period
    40mm likes this.

would be more interested to compare to Australia for the same time period for total and per capita to see if harsh gun control laws will make the difference they say.
    40mm likes this.

New Zealand First believes that the ban of military style semi-automatics and assault rifles is necessary in order to prevent such a tragedy from occurring again and make our country a safer place.
    What they are saying here is despite all their mismanagement and crap we have had to put up with over the years, it is we who are all now a risk to society.
    Ryan, kiwigreen, Sasquatch and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Ammunition would be a tricky one. Maybe they want to stop people having large amounts of ammo. You could control how much they buy at one shop at one time, but buying a lot of ammo doesn't equal stockpiling if you are also shooting a lot. My last trip to the range we used 169 rounds, admittedly a large proportion as 22lr. We already have to produce our FAL to buy ammo, so what more can they do, other than get the gunshops to record details like they do for guns, which still achieves nothing to prevent terrorism, it only gives them a trail to follow after the fact.

And with any law change we need to remember that terrorists and criminals will not follow the law anyway.
    I have a shoot coming up this weekend that will probably require 200 rounds, pretty std for a clay target event. My licence has expired and the renewal has been in the system since the end of feb when the inspection was done.
    I will need to buy ammo so asked the firearms office what was the deal now. It would need to be done via the postal form and emailed to them to forward to the seller. As the club does not do internets I said this could be a problem. They agreed and suggested I borrow ammunition from someone who trusts me. The nice lady also said that the AO was in the office and she would retrieve the file and get him to complete it today as it hadnt been reviewed yet.
    It may still take several weeks to get the plastic but till then Im covered.
    Nice helpful woman, we had a bit of a chat and they are as much in the dark as we are and are doing the best they can with the limited resources at hand.
    A word of warning check your expiry date, reminder notices do not seem to have been getting sent out. I only caught mine when getting some ammo three weeks before.
    Last edited by Marty Henry; 28-03-2019 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    I have a shoot coming up this weekend that will probably require 200 rounds, pretty std for a clay target event. My licence has expired and the renewal has been in the system since the end of feb when the inspection was done.
    I will need to buy ammo so asked the firearms office what was the deal now. It would need to be done via the postal form and emailed to them to forward to the seller. As the club does not do internets I said this could be a problem. They agreed and suggested I borrow ammunition from someone who trusts me. The nice lady also said that the AO was in the office and she would retrieve the file and get him to complete it today as it hadnt been reviewed yet.
    It may still take several weeks to get the plastic but till then Im covered.
    Nice helpful woman, we had a bit of a chat and they are as much in the dark as we are and are doing the best they can with the limited resources at hand.
    A word of warning check your expiry date, reminder notices do not seem to have been getting sent out. I only caught mine when getting some ammo three weeks before.
    They are lovely. They all seem to be women and I talked to several yesterday was I got transferred around the place from call centers then on to various arms officers.

They are very cheerful given they are about to lose their jobs Not just us losing here.