Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: No contact at all about new laws

No contact at all about new laws

Visited my brother. He works 60plus hours a week, doesn't watch TV or read newspapers...far to busy working for that.

He had obviously heard about the Christchurch shootings etc...but had no idea gun laws had changed as a result. He has about 4 rifles that would be affected, mostly lever actions and pump actions with mags too big.

No one has mailed out any information to him, he was totally caught off guard when I told him his model 94 Winchester. 22lr would be illegal now.

Point is, if I hadn't told him, he still wouldn't have a clue. So where the fuck is the information? As license holders, why haven't we received letters in the mail the day after the law change? He could be out there hunting or using his now banned rifles, and would be in big trouble for something he had no idea about.

There must be heaps of gun owners in this situation who don't go online as they're just not into computers or simply too busy working.

In one of the interviews with a head Police guy he said they would be making contact with all the firearms owners in NZ. I think they are just getting their heads around everything. There is a sort of a table on the Police site that gives an idea of what is banned and what isn't. BUt you have to know to go there and look.

https://www.police.govt.nz/advice/fi...bited-firearms

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    In one of the interviews with a head Police guy he said they would be making contact with all the firearms owners in NZ. I think they are just getting their heads around everything. There is a sort of a table on the Police site that gives an idea of what is banned and what isn't. BUt you have to know to go there and look.

Thanks for that link stug.
    ChanceMcCall likes this.

Just wait until opening day on 4th May.
    I see lots of pump and semis with mag extensions being confiscated.
    40mm likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Thanks @stug however that's the issue. He had a huge interest in guns a decade ago, would have regularly purchased magazines like Rod and rifle etc...but forvthe past 10 years, only goes for a hunt a handful of times per year at best...and mostly solo on his own.

He's as honest as the day is long, and just flat out busy running his business.

Its these guys who are falling through the gaps.

No mention of tube mag levers and pumps that hold more than 10 shots?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Click on the + buttons
    veitnamcam likes this.

@kimjon here is the link to the interview, starts at about 1m 35 sec. At about 15m 20s he says they will "push hard to reach every gun licence holder"

@kimjon here is the link to the interview, starts at about 1m 35 sec. At about 15m 20s he says they will "push hard to reach every gun licence holder"

Good. I'd hope anyone still using their AR15 is all good then until contact has been confirmed to let them know it's not allowed anymore?

This is the scariest thing, most FAL holders think it doesn't affect them because they don't have an MSSA.......

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    This is the scariest thing, most FAL holders think it doesn't affect them because they don't have an MSSA.......
    That was his reply when I told him about the new rules. He said something like "it wont affect me". But a quick look at his gun cabinet and I could straight away see 4 rifles that would be. None of those were wicked evil human slaying black rifles.

Actually I don't think even the Police have a clue what the new amendments actually affect yet let alone how to "interpret" them.............................. as we all know they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    That was his reply when I told him about the new rules. He said something like "it wont affect me". But a quick look at his gun cabinet and I could straight away see 4 rifles that would be. None of those were wicked evil human slaying black rifles.
    It won't affect me either, having only bolt actions. But I am kidding myself, because it will in the next wave, or the wave after that.
    veitnamcam and xtightg like this.
    Join COLFO - Be a represented firearms owner.

@Cordite I can see the price of our bolt actions increasing somewhat, as collectors turn more to them. But then, if the ammo changes come in, what will a day on the range cost when our $1 .303 FMJ rounds are banned, and we have to use 'spoting' rounds?