Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Knives Africa

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: NZ police

NZ police

I thought the job of the police is to uphold the law, not to be making it , or even having a say.
    Seems to me that when they do so we only get some of the relevant info/facts ,certainly nothing they don't want us to know or anything that may impede their wants , isn't this a form of corruption , how long before the police are running the country
    erniec, oxfarmer, LBD and 2 others like this.
    Vegetarians Bah !! . If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of meat ! .

New Zealand is not a police State. Ultimately the courts judge the law.

Well yeah, but when they are fed a pack of lie's they get it wrong, and it can become very "David and Goliath" . The police have a bit of history bangin' up the wrong guy ,and that don't happen by accident
    sightpicture likes this.
    Vegetarians Bah !! . If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of meat ! .

ebf
    Hamsav, last time I checked

A) the NZ police is the government body charged with administering firearms ownership and use.
    b) the NZ police are the guys and girls who respond to incidents when the shit hits the fan (like CHC and many others).

So if you want to change A, then I suggest you convince the majority of New Zealanders that some other department should be responsible. Good luck with that ...

And for B, if you think that the folks on the front lines (or their bosses) have no place commenting on firearms, then I doubt that you could have a reasonable conversation about this topic...
    Savage1, gadgetman, Nick-D and 1 others like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post

A) the NZ police is the government body charged with administering firearms ownership and use.
    b) the NZ police are the guys and girls who respond to incidents when the shit hits the fan (like CHC and many others).

So if you want to change A, then I suggest you convince the majority of New Zealanders that some other department should be responsible. Good luck with that ...

And for B, if you think that the folks on the front lines (or their bosses) have no place commenting on firearms, then I doubt that you could have a reasonable conversation about this topic...
    The guys on the front line, that I've met, have all been damned good.
    Tussock likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post

Yes, but NZP has no business telling government not to listen to firearms owners, as if we are criminals.
    Join COLFO - Be a represented firearms owner.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Yes, but NZP has no business telling government not to listen to firearms owners, as if we are criminals.
    Agreed.
    Woody likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby

Yes but some of us already are or will be soon... through no fault of our own...

Correct.

And they have had multiple failures with their own firearms. And they have shot innocents.

https://kiwigunblog.wordpress.com/20...ot-their-roof/

Courier killed during Auckland shootout | Stuff.co.nz

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/cri...out-complaints

etc

If the police had to be fit'n'proper to wield their equipment they way we are held to task - how many of them would be so considered?

Now, before Sis and the Cahillicans think I am bagging all police for the errors of a few - I am not. I have had a good working relationship with police for decades, professionally. BUT I would like the police to not be knee-jerkingly bagging all firearms license holders and owners either... see how that works? And we have to assume the Police Union are supporting Cahill in his confrontational and intimidating style... see how that works too?
    Cordite and outlander like this.

I agree gadgetman ,but it's not the frontline guys causing the problems we now have , and the nzp maybe the govt dept charged with administering firearms ownership and use ,but if the job had gone to someone without an agenda we wouldn't be facing these pointless restrictions in the 1st place. It's like putting a bunch of queasy vegans in charge of game hunting. There have been plenty of occasions where the police have deliberately mis-applied or mis-quoted the law to get what they want regarding firearms. I had a Winchester defender ( yeah , I know young and stupid and hadn't yet realised just how useless it was ) ripped from my grasp by some , foamin at the mouth cop quoting laws that didn't exist ......I really enjoyed him bringing it back

gentlemen ,How i hate to harp on but google justice jillian mallons judgement in R Lincoln vs Nz Police- read through it -its bloody long
    but
    she is very explicit in her direction to Nz police
    Youa are not judge jury and executioner..............etcetcetc

obviously someone (?constable whoome)at police HQ thinks they know better.

whats the most disturbing sound for a man -the sound of a rubber glove being slipped on as your daks are round your ankles
    this gives new meaning to digitalisation and i suspect someone somewhere is due for a very bad day at the office(preferably without fucking lubricant )
    yup im good with a rubber glove and youd be suprised what ive liberated from the tradesmans entrance over my years of nursing!most of it was helping out poor sods mind you!

Last time Jillian Mallons crossed my path she made me return 1/2 the pitiful restitution I received after some old boy smashed me off my motorbike so he 'didnt suffer undue hardship" while I was still in the wheelchair he put me in. .....but if she's keeping the cops in line she must have seen the light

It is not the police fault. They just don't know any better. They view guns based on their own reality. One in which they are armed and may need to shoot people, and where every time they knock on a door they might get a gun shoved up their nose.

This is why we are on borrowed time. There is no logical reason for the people who administer firearms to want them to be legal. Their entire world is legal vs illegal, weapons and violence.

Unfortunately due to their actions combined with government policy we are in no mans land as far as laws go. We had a system where firearms were not "weapons" and thus someone walking down the street with a rifle was not "armed" they were just going to a gun store. People had firearms filed in their head subconsciously (which is very important) as tools for hunting, nothing more, nothing less. Anyone who saw them otherwise was not "fit and proper".

Now the police want guns taken seriously and viewed the way they view them so they call them weapons and everyone is armed. The police now insist everyone subconsciously view firearms as weapons. This bowls over our existing arms code and renders it useless.

The only problem is because the old system actually worked very well, we went all in on it a long time ago. No going back, a de-registered system is a one way street.

Now we are entering a time where the police are searching for hundreds of thousands of lost guns among "armed" firearm owners. Scary stuff. Not my cup of tea frankly.

I get they don't see it that way, but its the old petrol filled fire extinguisher. What is that saying "the road to hell is paved with good intentions".

Having read what little info is dribbling out of the COL's sphincter about compensation (of, let's remember, a legal product bought with duty/import/GST taxes all paid for, plus the costs of licensing and endorsements) the signs are already there that very little will be on the table.

They are screwing all dealers... no compo at all.

If we do the math for the rest of us (250,000-odd FAL holders who, even if they/we averaged 2 firearms per person and one could be kept), that means - with the highest treasury estimate* I've read so far being only $100-200 million in total (see p. 15 of the pdf) - law-abiding citizens' compensation maxes out at an average of EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS PER LEGAL OWNER.

Srsly? That's barely a Ruger .22 rimfire... (and yes, I know, the Ruger .22 rimfire may survive the COL guntheft... that's the point of the comparison IMO).

I'd like to think I can't do math (and I usually can't) but -- where have I got it wrong?

And not even counting 14,228 E cat firearms which must Shirley be worth more than us plebs' A-cats.

As the prophet saith: the fickle finger of fate is certainly deep-probing the puckered rectum of reality. Can y'all see the moneybeaners coughing up more for us newly-minted and newly-redefined criminal-psychos?

We're here, we're done, we might as well get the T-shirt.

Name:  WF.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  150.8 KB

* https://treasury.govt.nz/sites/defau...apfm-apr19.pdf
    Steve123 likes this.

yup-I wonder if they realise the enormity of what they could be doing. Cahill going "its all fine jacinda these rules wont affect many so it wont cost that much" so they think they can afford it.
    Reality bites when their crap wording and possible true intentions come to fruit and they have to pay a shit ton out plus piss off all the guys who thought their old 22's and 303's were safe so didn't help. I'm not sure if it would happen and its probably too late by then, but that could be when shit hits the fan?