Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: The Payout

The Payout

We know the police cant keep accurate records of existing endorsed firearms.

How are they going to manage tens of thousands of extra guns, along with bank account details, and manage to pay people out what they are owed?

What if they pay your money into the wrong account, like they record serial numbers wrong? What right of appeal will you have? When someone else gets the 20k they owe you for your collection and you get 500 for their illegal .22

How soon will we get payed out? I don't want to have to wait a year or more without my assets and a hole in my finances while they catalogue and value everything.

I understand police have employed people to value hand ins. Who is doing the valuing and what credentials do they have to give an accurate appraisal?

All things to keep in mind when it comes time to write to our honourable representatives.
    Kiwi Greg, northdude and 40mm like this.

Will be announced in time.
    KiwiinSeattle and A330driver like this.

and that will be one of the factors holding some people back from the hand in as once they've got it they can pay you what they like as with most things some people will sell on the most profitable market please note im not endorsing anyone to do this but if you are being realistic a certain hopefully small percentage will take this path

Beware all those who are considering handing in their MSSA's before all the arrangements are officially announced and in place. The surrender form has two spaces at the bottom. If 'destruction' is chosen then you are stuffed! 'Destruction' means that you have waived your right to compensation. You must ensure that your surrender form states 'surrendered for compensation' and make sure you get a copy. When compensation is eventually delivered then it must reflect the market value immediately before the incident. Parliament do not have the right to impose an arbitrary figure for compensation. Ther is a lot of precedent for this, and it is in the law.

Until the whole situation is clarified and codified into law, the amnesty period (as yet unspecified) remains in force. There is no need to be hoodwinked into doing anything prematurely. In order for the Police to be able to handle the influx, the amnesty period needs to be at least three months which is the time frame similar 'bannings' have allowed (eg: Kea guns).

Make sure you send in a concise and polite submission as soon as the legislation is announced. Note that this must be done very quickly to be effective or carry any legal weight if things are done under 'urgency' (read 'denial of democracy'!).

words from a wise man
    timattalon likes this.

Is there a receipt or confirmation that can be pronted with all details when the form is submitted?

Screen shot everything if done electronically.
    Market value, who’s market ? For once I would like to say follow GC’s market pricing ��

I bet there will be an increase in new purchases for firearms to replace the ones handed in.
    I also bet it will produce a shortage of what’s available
    And I also bet the government will wrap imports up in so much red tape it will drive us around the bend.
    jackson21 and xtightg like this.
    “he waka eke noa”

Quote Originally Posted by Konev View Post
    Will be announced in time.
    Yep "in time" being when?

After they have been confiscated and turned in? I bet details of the buy back aren't announced when they make the next announcement tomorrow and by the time they do announce it they will have the firearms and pay you whatever they want.

And the reason for paying whatever they want will be that the country can not afford to pay any more

The defence force bought a few thousand AR15's and paid around $6500 each
    jackson21 likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by small_caliber View Post
    Yep "in time" being when?

After they have been confiscated and turned in? I bet details of the buy back aren't announced when they make the next announcement tomorrow and by the time they do announce it they will have the firearms and pay you whatever they want.

And the reason for paying whatever they want will be that the country can not afford to pay any more

The defence force bought a few thousand AR15's and paid around $6500 each
    If you turn in a LMT rifle with Acog sight, Surefire suppressor and all the spares and magazines, you might get $6500 too.

Apperantly NZ has signed an arms treaty with the UN that forbids confiscation without compensation unless in a state of war. I've not been able to find it myself but comes from a reliable source.

Also can for $80 dollars take whomever you like to small claims court. So theres an avenue.....
    veitnamcam and 199p like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    Apperantly NZ has signed an arms treaty with the UN that forbids confiscation without compensation unless in a state of war. I've not been able to find it myself but comes from a reliable source.
    Government confiscation of lawfully obtained items without compensation (due to law change) is illegal under NZ law and has been for many years. Normal 'market value' is the standard and loss of enjoyment, etc is also taken into account. This will cost the taxpayers hundreds of millions and shooters will be able to spend their money on other 'approved' firearms. There are now 400,000 more firearms in Australia since their buyback after Port Arthur.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    Government confiscation of lawfully obtained items without compensation (due to law change) is illegal under NZ law and has been for many years. Normal 'market value' is the standard and loss of enjoyment, etc is also taken into account. This will cost the taxpayers hundreds of millions and shooters will be able to spend their money on other 'approved' firearms. There are now 400,000 more firearms in Australia since their buyback after Port Arthur.
    So does that apply to businesses as well?
    Those businesses with stock that is now banned from sale and all the accessories for those, are they also entitled to compensation?

If that is the case I can see it hitting a billion $ plus.

What happens in the event the Govt bans the sale of certain types of ammunition, there will be people in possession of the ammo that is banned so what happens there?
    Are they allowed to use it or is the Govt required to buy it back?

Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    Also can for $80 dollars take whomever you like to small claims court. So theres an avenue.....
    And waste more money trying to enforce the courts decision! The court doesn’t enforce the law for you!! Futile exercise!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    And waste more money trying to enforce the courts decision! The court doesn’t enforce the law for you!! Futile exercise!
    thats when you get a debt collector in to do it. they put all of the charges onto the debtors account

very good write up in the gpforms.co.nz hall of fame going through the entire process with a scammer.