Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Police info not quite right?

Police info not quite right?

Anyone noticed that the details on here: https://www.police.govt.nz/advice/firearms-and-safety/changes-firearms

Don't quite seem right?

I'm talking about this section:

Firearms that are not affected by the Order in Council include:
    • rimfire 0.22 semi-automatic rifles,
    • semi-automatic shotguns with a tubular magazine that holds five or less rounds, and
    • pump action shot guns with a tubular magazine that holds five or less rounds.

Should that not state "seven or less rounds"?

Tubular magazines aren't removable in my experience unless we are talking with tools, so it should still be covered by the previous MSSA definition which is seven rounds or less.

Correct?

Yep the original MSSA definition is 7 rounds, either the Police know something about upcoming legislation or they are up to their old tricks.
    Pump actions have never been MSSA so do not have magazine restrictions.
    Survy and outlander like this.

Thanks, glad I wasn't going crazy.

I've put in a call to the firearms line at the bottom of that article, and they have taken a message to get someone to ring me back to clarify why they have written five.

Quote Originally Posted by sykoticnz View Post
    Thanks, glad I wasn't going crazy.

I've put in a call to the firearms line at the bottom of that article, and they have taken a message to get someone to ring me back to clarify why they have written five.
    Don't read this then... it might be wrong...but...BTW an Aussie mate knew at around 1.00 pm our time Thursday what was coming

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...76333302701993

I think there is much more to come

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Yep the original MSSA definition is 7 rounds, either the Police know something about upcoming legislation or they are up to their old tricks.
    Pump actions have never been MSSA so do not have magazine restrictions.
    @stug wasnt there a post with legislation on here recently-I think even before all this where they can basically reclassify firearms to MSSA at will?
    Maybe that's what they've done with the shotties. The fucktard did use a semi shotgun so it has come under scrutiny.
    Whilst I'm still not a fan of it all why cant she just stick with the semi centerfires for the win and leave the others the fuck alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Don't read this then... it might be wrong...but...BTW an Aussie mate knew at around 1.00 pm our time Thursday what was coming

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...76333302701993

I think there is much more to come

Yeah I like the bit about gifting or selling to E cat holders. Almost as if they want to sound reasonable, not mentioning the bit about the PTP not being available.

what i take from the police website is if you already have an e cat licence then you can register your current a cat semis as e cat and keep them ......for now that is if they let you register them and im sure the e cat licence will be on the hitlist next whether it be restrictions on quantity or type its all a secret cos god forbid you cant be prepared to mount a solid debate in defense of retaining what you legally own (until they change the law).
    for the guys with shotguns that hold more than 5 rounds , how hard is it to get a competent smithy to shorten the mag......thats the only way i can see them staying a cat.
    i speculate next will be registration for all firearms further restrictions on e cat and a cat and the upgrading of air/co2 guns to only be sold to licenced firearms owners.
    they will be checking the a cat holders first as they want to to know what and how many firearms we have and i wouldnt surprise me if we had to justify ownership of each firearm.
    esentially they will leave the new regulations grey enough that they can be open to interpretation so police can confiscate whatever they want leaving you to fight it in court if you can afford it.
    also expect that any buyback scheme will be funded thru higher licencing fees and firearm registration fees....
    once sorted and the dust settled they will chip away at e cat , c cat, and b cat
    this all speculation of course ive had my tinfoil hat off for a few days
    i notice pest controllers will be exempt ........... scottys pest control services has a nice ring to it , doesnt cost much to set up a business hmmmmm sounds perfectly legal
    keneff and outlander like this.

^^^ which is a contradiction in itself because you MUST require a PTP before obtaining an Ecat firearm...
    grunzter likes this.

Unless you fit a mag extension I believe that vast majority of sporting configured shotties for duck hunting don't take more than 5 in the mag with standard 2-3/4" rounds. You cant even fit an extension to a mossy 500. You can to a 590 though.
    Not counting the Winchester defender and Mossberg 8 shot and any others used for pest destruction or range work of course but these will be the ones they are after anyway.
    Silly me, they want them all...

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    Yeah I like the bit about gifting or selling to E cat holders. Almost as if they want to sound reasonable, not mentioning the bit about the PTP not being available.
    Yeah my brother wanted me to get a PTP immediately after the change so I could take possession of his previously A cat AR as he wished to remain a law abiding citizen but alas no the Police seem to want to force him to become a criminal as they will not issue one to me. I seems they are deliberately doing this
    outlander and csmiffy like this.

I think the best we can hope for is that they pay us fairly for everything and not just bare firearms...I'll be wanting full retail back for my +2 extension, mags tools spare parts etc.
    Fal owners should also be exempt from any new tax to pay for the buy back also. (Why is it not being called a forced buy-out?..)
    Cordite and outlander like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloves View Post
    I think the best we can hope for is that they pay us fairly for everything and not just bare firearms...I'll be wanting full retail back for my +2 extension, mags tools spare parts etc.
    Fal owners should also be exempt from any new tax to pay for the buy back also. (Why is it not being called a forced buy-out?..)
    yes its rather difficult to buy back something you never owned in the first place
    Sasquatch, keneff, Jewcati and 1 others like this.

If you have an e its a matter of filling out form 67X, in reason why building a mssa, put change in MSSA classification,. Email with two pictures of rifle, one full lenght and another of make, model and serial number to you local arms office.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    ^^^ which is a contradiction in itself because you MUST require a PTP before obtaining an Ecat firearm...
    but your gifting yourself your a cat that's now e cat
    mikee and Preacher like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    If you have an e its a matter of filling out form 67X, in reason why building a mssa, put change in MSSA classification,. Email with two pictures of rifle, one full lenght and another of make, model and serial number to you local arms office.
    PM made it very clear in it's speech that there was absolutely no point in applying for permits to procure and they will not be approved.