Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree263Likes

Thread: Police showing up at work

Police showing up at work

Evening all.

Got suggested I pop this up but whilst at work this morning, I hear a voice ask for me by name. I turn around and there's 2 police officers.

Needless to say workmates were shocked too see me taken into a room for a chat and these guys were quite nice about it but wanted to know what my partner and I have.

Was polite and freely told them plus we were waiting on further buyback details and advice at this time. Also let them know due to having been days away from both of us submitting our E cat application our E cat safe is installed and floor plated as per the reccommendatons. (So stored legally in an odd stroke of luck)

Since the order came through on Thursday we have not touched them, not allowed to use them so are following the rules. I didn't put any paperwork or forms in yet so was a little shocked to see them come out of nowhere. Anyone else get this yet?

Any reason why they would of chosen us? All were A cat so bit confused (and worried/scared) that they just rock up and pull out the note pad and say tell us what ya got.

Cheers all (based in Rotorua)

Sounds like they're going manually door to door with a piece of paper after internet trolls crashed their pre registration/confiscation site! Don't worry about it too much, but I am very curious if anyone else is experiencing this?

Personally I would have respectfully asked them to go away. They have no legal right to harass you at your place of employment. And even then they are still supposed to arrange a time to visit for A cat licence holders.

Despite the fact your A cat firearms are now E cat there has been no legislation passed regarding the amnesty period or your obligations under it. That I am aware of anyways.
    Ryan, Moa Hunter, Sideshow and 3 others like this.

Bus driver
    Quote...Personally I would have respectfully asked them to go away. They have no legal right to harass you at your place of employment. And even then they are still supposed to arrange a time to visit for A cat licence holders.

With all due respect preacher,I think thatís the wrong thing to do.We as firearms owners at the moment are under their the gun(excuse the pun)and scrutiny,our willingness to comply privately and in the publicís eye ,as he was,will show a pro-active stance in this situation.Normal circumstances i would have done what you stated,but these are not normal circumstances.

I think the onus is on us to show and prove to the public,however bullshit this is,that we are willing to address and be part of the solution ,not the problem as lawful abiding gun owners.I hate that the bassturds can just walk in and put you on the spot,but the further we resist these intrusions,the more concrete the publicís stance will be for the removal of ďALLĒour guns........just my take on it
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

i said in another post last week they would start with the A cat guys cos they dont know what we have and they want to know. seeing as you have applied for E cat you obviously get bumped up th queue agree they shouldnt be turning up at your workplace they should be contacting you to make a time to come see you at home.....already treating you like your a criminal
    Steve123, 40mm and Preacher like this.

Why 2 of them is that ment to intimidate you if they want to get around us all surley 2 of them visiting seperate people would be more efficient
    veitnamcam and Steve123 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    Why 2 of them is that ment to intimidate you if they want to get around us all surley 2 of them visiting seperate people would be more efficient
    SOP to operate in pairs...cover each other. Any intimidation might be a bonus factor..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sightpicture and dannyb like this.

Plain rude.
    Steve123 likes this.
    Use enough gun

do you think someone at your work told the cops you had semi-autos?
    Last edited by Spanners; 28-03-2019 at 06:33 PM.

With all due respect preacher,I think thatís the wrong thing to do.We as firearms owners at the moment are under their the gun(excuse the pun)and scrutiny,our willingness to comply privately and in the publicís eye ,as he was,will show a pro-active stance in this situation.Normal circumstances i would have done what you stated,but these are not normal circumstances.

I think the onus is on us to show and prove to the public,however bullshit this is,that we are willing to address and be part of the solution ,not the problem as lawful abiding gun owners.I hate that the bassturds can just walk in and put you on the spot,but the further we resist these intrusions,the more concrete the publicís stance will be for the removal of ďALLĒour guns........just my take on it[/QUOTE]

I agree with the being pro-active part and working for solutions but if they are not going to follow procedure then I will.

As it stands they still have no right to randomly turn up and ask about your A cat firearms. Nor do they have the right to record details of which.

In the OP he states that he does have what are now technically E cat but how would they know this?
    veitnamcam, William and 223nut like this.

Didn't the OP say he had applied for an E category ?
    I would think they will be going around to all the E cat people first before they move on to the A cat stuff.
    You are probably within the law to not show them, but you can guarantee if they decide you are a bit bolshy they will put you on a list for further inquiries

Bus driver
    Far enough ... appreciate the reply.... each to his own
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

A Mate of mine had the cops turn up at his house on sat after an image a friend of his had posted on Instagram holding his a cat ar15 got reported. They asked to see his safe and he complied. They confiscated his ar15 as well as his semi 22 although they Admitted they werent sure if that would be effected under the new law and suggested he may get it back. They gave him a police property form with all details of what they were holding and took the guns with them
    Blisters likes this.

Shit @Teggy, surely that is not lawful.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerman View Post
    Didn't the OP say he had applied for an E category ?
    I would think they will be going around to all the E cat people first before they move on to the A cat stuff.
    You are probably within the law to not show them, but you can guarantee if they decide you are a bit bolshy they will put you on a list for further inquiries
    Think he said they were both "days away from applying for E".

So someone knows he had ARs or the cops are bending the rules. If (when) the law changes to allow spot inspection then I will happily comply, as we all should.

Because we are law abiding firearms owners.

We are also citizens that still have rights under the current law.

Edit: please don't think I am shitting on the cops either, they are probably as confused as the rest of us and are just trying to do their jobs. So as mentioned in an earlier post, if you do get a visit please be respectful and polite.

It is obviously entirely up to yourself if you wish to comply immediately or ask them nicely to follow procedure.
    Last edited by Preacher; 26-03-2019 at 11:50 AM.