Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Positive steps

Positive steps

This does suck and I don't like the way they have gone about it. Lots of talk of negative things that can be done to "get back" at them. There are none. There is not a single negative thing you could do that would not validate everything they said.

What needs to be done is invalidate what they said. That requires doing positive things and leaving them to think about their negativity.

Here are two suggestions. These are SUGGESTIONS! Don't get your panties in a twist. If you don't like them add your own.

There is a rabbit plague in the South Island. We have a large number of shooters who are not spending what they were on ammo. Why not go to Central and the Mackenzie country and shoot for tallys. Remind everyone that outside of latte country, Kiwi shooters play an important economic role fighting pests. I still have a Winery we can stay at.

Codify our own gun laws. Ring fence what we have left by making tougher voluntary laws that we all agree to follow.

the rabbit problem is huge but yet our local pub buys in farm raised rabbit to serve.
    in korea possum is a delicacy known as "bush bear"
    3 hare can eat as much grass per day as a sheep.

I'm positive I'm not giving up OpSec to make a point on the internet.

But - Alea iacta est. (..."the di(c)e is cast (thrown)". Suetonius said it to Julius Caesar when he led his army across the Rubicon (river) in Northern Italy. There ain't no going back. Things have happened that can't be changed back. I repeat myself I know - but, let them harvest the crop they have sown, of unintended and unforeseen consequences.

Me? I'm gonna look for fairies at the bottom of the garden and see if I can photograph them.

That is all, for now.

@Tussock nice thread headline.
    And you are right, we have to remain positive, no matter no much the odds are stacked up against us.

I finally got through watching the clips from the hearings yesterday.
    After hearing everyone speak I felt a bit better about being unsure about the bill, as the experts were unsure too when it came to clarifying aspects of it.

We definitely do have 3 groups of impacted licence users, I am talking about the active users vs. collectors and film etc.

There are those directly impacted with the bill, the way it is written is specific to them and their interests.
    There are those that it doe not impact at all, our silent bunch.
    Then there is the 3rd group, who are caught up in the grey area. The unintended. This area is where I think they could tidy up the definitions/exclusions and make the bill fit for purpose.

I fall into the 3rd group as would many others.

I pulled the bill again this morning took to it with my highlighter(s) and broke it down into its bare basics.
    What did I find ? Well simply, the stuff that is not there, we seemed to have been looking hard at what was written in the bill and OIC and may have not seen what was not in there. (Case and point, we missed Frodo and Sam making their way across the plains)
    Personally I am a visual person and a flow chart would have been easier to follow and examples added to it.

I do think all the presenters offered good discussion and recommendations which I am being positive about that it will be considered for amending.

At the end of the day come 12th April we will know for sure.
    “he waka eke noa”

I'd stay at the winery - just point me to the cellar(s) - doubt if I'd ever come back out at this stage . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Survy View Post
    [MENTION=7819]

There are those directly impacted with the bill, the way it is written is specific to them and their interests.
    There are those that it doe not impact at all, our silent bunch.
    Then there is the 3rd group, who are caught up in the grey area.

At the end of the day come 12th April we will know for sure.
    Lets be very clear about this..... It impacts everyone directly or indirectly, there is no one that pays taxes that this does not effect in some way shape or form.

If you have an FAL or intend to this effects you, never forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post

There is a rabbit plague in the South Island. We have a large number of shooters who are not spending what they were on ammo. Why not go to Central and the Mackenzie country and shoot for tallys. .
    Or, take a look at the rabbit plague and ring 111 asking for AOS assistance? Ok, not serious about that one. Licenced FAL have been playing a huge role in conservation pest control at zero tax-payer expense. If the tax payer realised the economic/environmental cost of removing this free pest control they may get a fright. This goes for all hunting, not just SI rabbits.
    veitnamcam and timattalon like this.

identify a political party/entity that is willing to work with and for hunters/shooters short & long term, and get them across the line for next election.
    Yeah I know never trust a politician ....
    But make sure their survival is tied to our support.
    Personally I'd rule out any of the current bunch of all colours, except Act. There's also the NZ Outdoors Party.
    We have just witnessed how small minority parties can have an disproportionate say in govt
    tetawa and berg243 like this.

I am with @chainsaw on this we either support someone who will represent and fight for our rights or start our own political party. Sorry @Spanners if this is political but we have all just been screwed over by self serving politicians rather than the politicians serving us .divided we are falling and the slide is only getting steeper at this rate ranges will be limited soon and lengths will be shortened ,then large calibers will be banned as now they will be too dangerous. With the current dictatorship in power things will continue to progress in a downward spiral getting faster as numbers of Lfao decrease as no one will waste money on a license that they can't use.
    veitnamcam and chainsaw like this.

Surely firearm related politics is acceptable on here in the current climate

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Surely firearm related politics is acceptable on here in the current climate
    Agreed. However I think admin have done an awesome job and used common sense around all of this turmoil.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam, tetawa and Gibo like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Agreed. There has to be exceptions and in light of recent weeks, this is undoubtedly one of them.

We have plenty of political threads. The point I am trying to make is that no one is all the same. Drive down a South Island road and you will see plenty of signs shot up. I like to refer to our gun carrying muppets as sign shooters. I'm not a sign shooter, but you could forgive people for thinking all firearms owners behave like that. I actually don't want solidarity with those guys. I wish they would stop.

This is the point of this thread. Politics can go in the others. What do we do to give a good example of ourselves?

I pondered why I bought my AR15. I started out a rabbit shooting not deer stalking. We used to go to farms with forum members and fire off thousands of dollars worth of ammunition that farmers would otherwise pay for. Paying pest control is expensive, so is poison. We aimed to conduct ourselves professionally because it gets you more properties to shoot. Farmers don't want rabbits shot at, they want them shot. You can't go and stir the rabbits up and make them gun shy and not actually reduce numbers. That is bad news from the farmers perspective.

We shot over 400 on one 2 day shoot, after a party immediately before us had shot 400 in 8 days, so we were obviously not bad people to have around.
    distant stalker likes this.

That is exactly what I thought when the sheila from the Country Women's Institute got up and stated that if you can't shoot pests on a farm with a bolt action you need to learn how to shoot. I was left wondering if she'd actually ever set foot on a farm with a pest problem???? The whole 'tie semi-auto to DOC only' thinking is going to create massive wastage of land, animals and profit simply due to the massively increased costs of pest control. I can't see DOC sending their limited numbers of contractors into private farms at taxpayer expense to help the landowners out due to stupid laws being enacted.

Nice thread tussock, in a lot.of ways policy is about shaping behavior, we can take control by monitoring our own, and our peers and ensuring we arent presenting ourselves or allowing others to present us in negative light that suggests "outside intervention" is required. I like the notion of demonstrating our contribution. Definitely the best method I have found to getting people on board