Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Ryan
  • 1 Post By planenutz
  • 1 Post By oraki

Thread: Questions for our Aussie Members

Questions for our Aussie Members

So you guys have gone through the travesty of losing semis etc, but some professional hunters/contractors still use semis for pest control.
    What hoops do they need to jump through to achieve this.
    Farmers Feed The World..
    The Only Thing Not Delivered By Truck Are Babies...

Disclaimer: I'm not Australian.
    "I would rather suffer under imperfect freedom, than languish under perfect control".

Mate, I considered moving my family to Aus a couple years ago, having an Aussie wife our kids could be dual citizens immediately. In NSW for a D you need to have a registered pest control company, you need defined client land to work on (and can only use your D rifle on these defined areas), and you have only one year between renewals. I got an E here for farm use, no way I'd get a D over there for the same. My father-in-law shot 600 pigs last year on his NSW farm (at huge cost in time and crop losses) with a bolt action .223, the fastest rifle he could access.

Quote Originally Posted by oraki View Post
    So you guys have gone through the travesty of losing semis etc, but some professional hunters/contractors still use semis for pest control.
    What hoops do they need to jump through to achieve this.
    Aussie here, also lived in NZ part time.
    YOUR ANSWER: Mate No chance, total number of D cat holders in Victoria is in double digits, you not only need a registered pest control company but you need insurance and need a proper defined client that has a certain size and number of pests they want eradicated, or you need a government contract. You cannot use cat D for any sporting use like 3 gun or multi gun or even go to a service rifle competition like you can in NZ.

My simple answer is Cat E is not where even close to Cat D. Cat E is attainable for an average person with extra vetting and storage facilities, Cat D is a lifestyle. Cat E is for sport , Cat D is for work.

They are simply not available to the public and maintaining them is half the problem because of which they are not available. Ive yet to come across a single person in ALL of NSW that has a Cat D and I know A LOT of people at A LOT of clubs. In NSW you cannot even own a bolt action with a folding buttstock.

Ive have been turned down for a bolt action ruger precision rifle in NSW. So I had to get the TIKKA T3X Tactical A1 with a fixed stock to circumvent the folding stock law.

Use us as an example and put up a resistance, this way atleast you will get half of what is sensible, otherwise fall prey to nanny state laws and kiss all your shooting sports either unaffordable or expensive at best. Those that involve semi autos, you can just kiss 3 gun multigun IPSC and IDPA goodbye!

Pretty depressing.
    keneff and outlander like this.
    "I would rather suffer under imperfect freedom, than languish under perfect control".

Try flying in and out of Aussie with a bolt action rifle plus applying for a visitors permit, it’s bloody tiring.

Yeah.... not the brightest outlook then. Bugger
    Farmers Feed The World..

All the more reason for us to stand firm, make ourselves known, petition our parliament and demonstrate how responsible citizens can be entrusted to continue using these types of firearms. Once we lose them there is no coming back... so we must fight to retain them.
    outdoorlad likes this.

Looking at the poll comments, it appears majority of respondents have at least one semi. @Munseys comment wondering about how many pests were shot with semis got me thinking. For ducks, a u/o or sxs wouldn't be to much of a hardship. But for other pest control, having more than 2 is almost essential. Sure, 2 shots will still get game, but all you're doing is teaching the ones that get away, making them even more weary of 'something's not quite right here.' Theyre cunning enough as it is. The places I go, the farmer wants/needs them gone. Shooting up to 300 geese in a sitting makes a dent in the population. Following up a couple of weeks later with another 200 does make a difference.
    After a couple of days feeling gutted about what could be, I've done abit of surfing on u tube, and figured I'm gonna have to learn to operate a pump. Most of you probably already think I'd be good at pumping something, but I've never operated one. Watching the experts, they still seem to get the shots away in good time and on target. The inertia of the shot helps the action cycle, so I'm thinking alls not to be lost.
    Talking to one of the farmers last night, he was saying that if numbers can't be controlled by shooting, he'll have to poison. Not a good look having birds scattered around the countryside, not being able to harvest any of the meat, and the risk of secondary poisoning of scavengers, including keas etc.
    That's my 2cents worth anyway
    gadgetman likes this.
    Farmers Feed The World..

Back when I was having issues with "The old A5" and I wanted to mount my OEG sight on a shotgun (tried it on the A5-liked it but it fell off-don't ask) I bought a Mossberg drilled and tapped for scope mounts and happily did that.
    It does take a bit of practice and for that odd time you know a split second follow-up shot would've nailed it, well that just doesn't happen. Plus its a 3" chamber and can handle steel so it is my main duck gun now
    Other than that when I did my part done quite well with it. Still prefer the A5 though, especially on rabbits-back in the day it seemed to work/fit me just a tad nicer than the pump and with the split lifter a lot easier to reload than the pump.
    Years ago bought a 410 pump for the missus to use-should've persevered with a 20 or a 12 but it is good for kids to learn with.
    Pity the ammo is so fecking dear because it is a cracking little gun to use.