Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Ranges Closed to Police?

Ranges Closed to Police?

I've heard that the local Wellington range banned the use of semis on their grounds before the final reading (no exceptions for Police supposedly), obviously this is now backed up by law.

Does anyone know if the Wairarapa Pistol and Shooting range has closed itís doors to the police? Like they did not that long ago (2017) after taking offence to the way Police were going about trying to change the laws.

Yes, that has been raised by other clubs that the range orders have been redrafted to ban prohibited firearms.
    But really unnecessary if they are to be heavily restricted anyway,
    Plus its a bit petty to stop front line Police getting in practice. They aren't to blame.
    Welcome to Sako club.

I'm sure there will be some members that get great pleasure out of that, hopefully common sense will prevail with the senior members. Although it provides income for the smaller ranges, I'm surprised Police haven't built a fancy one for themselves.

I have a feeling it might have been why Cahill backed off on pistols as he was going for them as well. Might have received some advice that Police still rely on PNZ ranges in parts of the country and a number of his members are also pistol club members.
    He was going for it immediately post attack and before then at select committee hearing 180 degree turnaround and praise for PNZ??

Police have no special dispensation to use semi automatic firearms on a civilian range, they have to abide by the range standing orders and those are all currently being redrafted to accommodate the new laws.
    The standing orders designate what kind of firearms can be used on each individual range, any calibre restrictions based on the range templates applied to the range (for public safety) and the cones of fire.
    So once a semi automatic firearm is made illegal, the standing orders are redrafted and it is illegal to use it regardless of civilian/police.

@dogmatix it's not petty to stop front line police from training, it's just an unintended consequence of the new laws. I know of 4 clubs in the SI who have taken this stance, and yes the upper echelon of police are well aware of this and are making moves to solve this issue for them.

We charge the NZ police a nominal amount for having them as guests training at our range, we have a good rapport with the local guys, and I believe the general feeling amongst our club is that we want our front line police to be well trained. However if law is rushed through without paying attention to submissions that mentioned this issue then we as a club cannot be held accountable for unforseen consequences.

It really is a case of what is good for the goose, is also good for the gander

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    Yes, that has been raised by other clubs that the range orders have been redrafted to ban prohibited firearms.
    Plus its a bit petty to stop front line Police getting in practice. They aren't to blame.
    I heard a rumour that they were forced to hand in their personal e-cats. Thats got to have stung. And putting up with whats to come from everyone else.... I gotta say i kinda feel sorry for the everyday officers.
    199p, gadgetman, 40mm and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead is better View Post
    I heard a rumour that they were forced to hand in their personal e-cats. Thats got to have stung. And putting up with whats to come from everyone else.... I gotta say i kinda feel sorry for the everyday officers.
    Agree, not their fault at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead is better View Post
    @Savage1 is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by sykoticnz View Post
    Agree, not their fault at all.
    UM its not our fault either and we all are wearing it good and proper so bugger them. The failure of their checks and balances to work correctly and more than once were partly to blame for the whole mess yet they come out covered in rose water while all an sundry crap all over us who have done nothing wrong

Maybe if enough of the rank and file Police get pissed off enough they will ditch that knob Cahill from the Police Association
    40mm likes this.
    Cats have nine lives-which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    Maybe if enough of the rank and file Police get pissed off enough they will ditch that knob Cahill from the Police Association
    Na.....they will just use more of our tax dollars to build dedicated police ranges.
    mikee likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

I don't mind them sharing in our pain.
    sightpicture likes this.

Petty it is, but it is the principal. Front line or not they are police and the police have well and truly rogered us.

Im all for police that are members of a club in their own right having access. But police training at the public ranges as police should be told to piss off. (politely)
    mikee, Beetroot and sightpicture like this.
    Use enough gun

Anyone know if voodoo dolls actually work?
    Use enough gun

Front line Police are doing the knocking on our doors. We need to play by the new Alinsky-style rules. Blame is irrelevant. None of us were involved in the evil clown's atrocity but we're blamed and punished regardless. I do not wish to be a gentlemanly loser.
    Beetroot likes this.