Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Suppressor ban

Suppressor ban

I just found out this morning that the Police Minister is considering banning suppressors. Is anyone else aware of this?

If you go to the firearm law changes section you can find a copy of the proposed legislation there.

Pertaining to prohibited parts that could make a weapon semi or fully automatic(words to that effect).

Get writing a submission and seek help from Colfo on how to do this :-)
    40mm likes this.

It is already in the Arms Act.
    And its certainly poorly written in the Amendment.

Arms Act 1983
    part—
    (a) in relation to a pistol, restricted weapon, or military
    style semi-automatic firearm, includes any thing, such
    as a butt, stock, magazine, silencer, or sight, which,
    while not essential for the discharge by a pistol, restricted
    weapon, or military style semi-automatic
    firearm of any shot, bullet, missile, or other projectile,
    is designed or intended to be an integral part of a pistol,
    restricted weapon, or military style semi-automatic
    firearm; and
    (b) in relation to any other firearm, means the action for that
    firearm

Arms (Prohibited Firearms, Magazines, and Parts) Amendment Bill:

(3) In section 2(1), replace the definition of part with:
    part— 5
    (a) in relation to a pistol or a restricted weapon, includes any thing, such as
    a butt, stock, magazine, silencer, or sight, that, although not essential for
    the discharge by a pistol or a restricted weapon of any shot, bullet, missile,
    or other projectile, is designed, or intended to be, an integral part of
    the pistol or restricted weapon; and 10
    (b) in relation to a prohibited firearm, includes any thing, such as a butt,
    stock, magazine (other than a prohibited magazine), silencer, or sight,
    that although not essential for the discharge by the prohibited firearm of
    any shot, bullet, missile, or other projectile, is designed, or intended to
    be, an integral part of the prohibited firearm; and 15
    (c) in relation to any other firearm, means the action for that firearm and for
    any firearm that has upper and lower receivers, includes the upper
    receiver and lower receiver, whether together or individually; and
    (d) in relation to any firearm, includes any thing, such as bolt carrier group
    parts, trigger group parts, lower parts kits, barrel, gas block, gas tube, 20
    folding or telescoping stock, magazine loader, sub-calibre conversion
    kits, and carbine stock
    Welcome to Sako club.

DPT
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    I just found out this morning that the Police Minister is considering banning suppressors. Is anyone else aware of this?
    Reading the new proposed act, suppressors on bolt actions will be fine.
    The wording in the new proposed act is very similar to the 1983 version regarding silencers
    sako75, tetawa, Echo and 5 others like this.

Thanks for the info, one less thing to fret about
    GunBlueFan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DPT View Post
    Reading the new proposed act, suppressors on bolt actions will be fine.
    The wording in the new proposed act is very similar to the 1983 version regarding silencers
    Fret about the semi ban, don't waste breath on the silencer bit.

They could have banned semis that could take external magazines with >5rounds capacity, very simple, but instead go to all these lengths to get rid of everything AR. VERY costly for our nation to buy everything back, the kerching meter is just shooting up at a fast rate. On a good note, all you guys who have ANYTHING that can remotely be called a semi part, can now empty your loft of crap and get hopefully fair price for it.

Reasonable in your submissions to just argue that they should cut all the crap out, and simply ban anything that can take mags >5 rounds.

A permanent modification for example to an AR by way of a permanent plate at the bottom of the magazine well will do perfectly as no more 10, 20, 30, 50 or 100 round mags can be used, only what will fit between the bottom plate and the bolt. Very few buy backs required (and no white wash of the atrocious legislation to date allowing ARs on A-cat and free sales of large mags, never mind the disastrous issuing of a FAL to Brenton Tarrant).
    Join COLFO - Be a represented firearms owner.

I seem to recall a long time ago a legal debate which ruled suppressors were not silencers because they were not designed ro actually " silence" the report.
    tetawa and Maca49 like this.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post

They could have banned semis that could take external magazines with >5rounds capacity, very simple, but instead go to all these lengths to get rid of everything AR. VERY costly for our nation to buy everything back, the kerching meter is just shooting up at a fast rate. On a good note, all you guys who have ANYTHING that can remotely be called a semi part, can now empty your loft of crap and get hopefully fair price for it.

Reasonable in your submissions to just argue that they should cut all the crap out, and simply ban anything that can take mags >5 rounds.

A permanent modification for example to an AR by way of a permanent plate at the bottom of the magazine well will do perfectly as no more 10, 20, 30, 50 or 100 round mags can be used, only what will fit between the bottom plate and the bolt. Very few buy backs required (and no white wash of the atrocious legislation to date allowing ARs on A-cat and free sales of large mags, never mind the disastrous issuing of a FAL to Brenton Tarrant).
    Have you ever top loaded an AR?
    A330driver likes this.

I have been thinking about turning a 6.5x55 into a bush gun and putting a suppressor on it to save my ears

IF any politition was silly enough to suggest banning suppressors they would be hung out to dry using the health and safety angle..... I got mine to protect the rest of my hearing. imaging saying you arent allowed a muffler on your car...

There goes pretty much every rifle on/in the NZ and global market!
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Have you ever top loaded an AR?
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    There goes pretty much every rifle on/in the NZ and global market!
    I'm trying to help here. I did not say it was progress. It's a compromise.

You CAN load one at a time from the ejection port, slow yes, but that's the idea is it not?

You can also not fight back and go for the compensation, have your AR chopped up on some anti-gun masturbation aid of a short movie. Yay!

If you have your AR sporterised (and that is what this is about), you can get a modification that allows you to readily swing up the upper and access the mag well, safer for your fingers. Or you can get strippers that allow you to load the mag diagonally from the ejector port, but who would bother with only 5 in the box. What you CANNOT do is install any bigger mag than 5, as distance between mag plate and bolt is fixed.

I'm trying to help here. I did not say it was progress. It's a compromise.

You CAN load one at a time from the ejection port, slow yes, but that's the idea is it not?

You can also not fight back and go for the compensation, have your AR chopped up on some anti-gun masturbation film.

If you settle to have your AR sporterised (and that is what this is about). You CAN get a modification that allows you to readily swing up the upper and access the mag well, safer for your fingers. Or you can get strippers that allow you to load the mag diagonally from the ejector port, but who would bother with only 5 in the box. What you can't do is install any bigger mag than 5, as the distance between mag well plate and bolt is fixed.
    Personally I would not bother trying to keep mine, they can bloody well buy it off me at full price and do what they like with it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Personally I would not bother trying to keep mine, they can bloody well buy it off me at full price and do what they like with it.
    I hope you still do your bit and write in.
    Harryg and 40mm like this.

I hope you still do your bit and write in.
    Already have but the outcome is already decided by "them" being the police and the govt
    nightowl52 likes this.