Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: This terrible if true - Joe Green on the shooters vetting process

This terrible if true - Joe Green on the shooters vetting process

From Joe Green:

Was the integrity of the firearms licensing process compromised?

In my opinion piece published in the DomPost on 20 March 2019 I said that “Legislators would do well to begin with a close review of the firearms licensing process as it was applied to Friday’s offender. It is after all the mechanism by which he gained lawful access to firearms”.

I now understand that the firearms licensing process as it was applied to the offender in the Christchurch shootings was compromised in that:

• The offender applied for his firearms licence in a Police District in which he might have an increased chance of getting it approved.

• It seems that there was no interview of the offender’s spouse, partner or next of kin (the person who knows them best).

• The process requires the interview of an unrelated referee. I understand that two people were interviewed. They knew the offender primarily through an on-line chat room. Both referees are recorded as saying the same.

• The offender declined to be interviewed at his home. He was interviewed at his place of work.

• There is doubt as to if a home visit and security inspection took place.

• It is apparent in the vetting process that the offender has no friends as such.

This outlines a classic scenario for someone setting up to obtain a firearms licence for nefarious purposes, and because due process was not followed, he succeeded.

Having obtained a firearms licence it is but a short step to obtaining firearms. A step he took.

Changing the law in terms of the possession and use of firearms by law abiding people will have little effect on safety unless the integrity of the licensing process is maintained.

Unf**king believable, I feel sorry for the relevant staff, but this has to go to the top.
    sako75, Beavis, tetawa and 4 others like this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

That's crazy.
    so while I was all thinking about internet search's flagging questionable behaviour re terrorist activities they didn't even get the basic shit right.
    So.......what other peanut butter nutters are out there?
    Bet ya they don't hand their stuff back in if it goes pear shaped for all of us.

If this is true it is very disturbing and makes a mockery of the law. The system is in place for a reason....

Where did you get this from?
    Last edited by 223nut; 21-03-2019 at 01:52 PM.
    Steve123 likes this.

This need to go to press

Source link? Yes kiwi gun blog posted it uncited, where is the official statement from Mr Green?

Thanks for sharing @Beavis. Who is Joe Green ? has this been published ? Send to your local MP..... in fact send it to Taxinda, Winnie & Simon.
    This has big warning red lights all over it !!!
    Failure to carry out & apply the laws that exist today should be very strong reason not to rush thru changes on the fly.... due to pressure from "extremist antigun lobby groups"

For once I want to hear Chris Cahill's comments.
    Last edited by Cordite; 21-03-2019 at 02:33 PM.
    Join COLFO - Be a represented firearms owner.

Quote Originally Posted by winaa View Post
    This need to go to press
    Like they would do anything with it.......It doesn't fit their personal agendas so they will sit on it....

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    I want Chris Cahill's comments on this.
    He would hide his head in shame and pretend it did not happen. We already know that he does not tell the truth or correct mis- information even though he know better.
    chainsaw likes this.

@chainsaw Joe Green used to be the Policeofficer in charge of firearms. He is a standup guy and listened to people. There is a good quote from him in one of the Stuff article on opinions about firearms, his response is right at the end.

Jesus, if that's true lets hope it sees the public light of day.
    Not that actual evidence will matter with all the sensationalist screeching going on in the msm.

I mean, referees from an internet forum?! surely that doesn't meet the criteria for a relevant referee.

Like with so many systems they fail when human complacency come in to play

I have long said that our present laws are not really "bad" or "wrong", but that enforcement of the rules is completely inadequate and the neither the police nor the judiciary are doing their jobs correctly. Clearly the police know this because they were too embarrassed to prosecute Ms Heather DPA when she exposed loopholes in the processes for online purchases. A chat face to face with Mr. Tipple on that subject was enlightening to say the least.

Rest assured the spotlight will go onto the police in the long run. Questions will be asked in the inquiry. It will take years for it to unfold be have no doubt it will happen. Unfortunately it won't change our predicament.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    I want Chris Cahill's comments on this.
    He is too busy whispering in our leaders ears. Just loud enough so that common sense is drowned out.
    6x47 likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    He is too busy whispering in our leaders ears. Just loud enough so that common sense is drowned out.
    Again, looking for the "I really don't like this" button...
    gadgetman likes this.
    Join COLFO - Be a represented firearms owner.