Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Knives Africa

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Things to consider

Things to consider

As you will be aware the government has said they will ban MSSA'a and due to the new law imposed a Remington Woodmaster 742 has been classed as a MSSA.

So far there has been an Order in Council which has reclassified what were "A" cat previously to "E" cat. Following this there will be an announcement of what the new proposal is, my guess is this will happen very very soon and following this we will only have a matter of a few days (less than a working week) to submit on the new proposed laws.

Here are some things that you can think about and possibly use in your submission, I would advise encouraging as many people to submit as possible.
    Please read the attached document.

Woman didn't get to vote by just a handful protesting for the vote so we all need to support each other.

Some things to think about.

Start your submission with a bit about yourself and your experiences also highlight if you own firearms or not. Do you contribute to the community in any way? highlight this if you do.

Will banning MSSA's prevent what happened in ChCh from happening again? The Government say this is why they are banning MSSA's
    Will it make you feel any safer?

Think of an alternative proposal/argument for retaining MSSA's

Would an alternative be to make semi auto's E cat and therefore require
    greater security and vetting and retain MSSA's? Perhaps along the lines of B cat licensing?

The cost of the Buy Back to the country, Can the country afford it and will it cover accessories purchased for the use of those firearms as without the firearm they are now useless and don't have an alternative market.

Remember everyone paid 15% GST to the government when they purchased their firearms. Govt was only too happy to get that tax so should refund that tax. Businesses should get compesation and be included in the buy back.

If DOC and valid pest control companies and employees are allowed MSSA's to carry out their job what makes them more suitable than any other citizen?

As far as I'm aware the "E" category firearms owners have an exemplary record regarding not committing criminal offences. This is since the E cat was introduced approx 28 years ago.

How was this person able to get a firearms license???

When the announcement is announced look up the actual law and check things

like the definition of "detachable magazine"

the number of rounds allowed in rimfire magazines

The max number of rounds allowed in any magazine

If any ammunition will be banned.......who will it affect and will there be a buy back of now illegal ammo?

Any new laws regarding collectors - some recommendations may now become law that you must comply with.

The rushed proposed laws: will they achieve what the Govt is trying to achieve and will they be written in a none ambiguous way to prevent multiple interpretations of the proposed laws?

All laws need to have a reason ie a specified outcome that is measurable to gauge the effectiveness of the proposed law.

Is the short time frame for fast tracking these laws a fair and democratic process and allowing enough consultation and consideration to get the proposed laws right??

How has the media and government made you feel since the ChCh murders?

The Govt and media have preached anti racism, inclusiveness, and we are one people etc with one voice yet on the other have vilified and blamed firearms owners and firearms as the cause of what happened in ChCh.

So in effect have they singled out firearms owners as a different class of citizen in NZ??
    I have certainly seen a hatred toward firearms owners by none firearms owners on NZ social media.

Please take the time to read the attached doc and you are most welcome to use and reference anything I have posted links to.

Firearms owners are not just hunters, we are hunters, competitive/sports shooters, collectors and above all lawful firearms owners.

A thought, "Firearms" are not "weapons" so please use the term "firearm", any reference to the ChCh victims they were "Murdered" by a "Criminal" we need to differentiate between lawful and criminal, the scum did an illegal act by turning his A Cat firearm into an E Cat which he didn't have a license for........ this was a criminal act and carried out well before the mass murders.

What is announced about the proposed law changes will not be the end of it, there will be more changes coming and the next lot could severely impact on those that are not impacted by the law changes proposed for MSSA's

Share your submissions, your thoughts/views may help others, help those that need help, encourage as many others as possible to submit, and please forward a copy of your submission to me.

If you haven't please go and sign the petition and, send the link for the petition to all your branch members and get friends, family, partners, and as many as you can sign the petition.

https://www.parliament.nz/en/pb/peti...FpWH48YM19STQY

A well written post by GunCity

Gun City Ltd
    22 hrs •
    In response to those of you who have contacted us.
    The proposed firearms law changes affect all New Zealanders. We want Firearms Licence holders to be fairly and reasonably treated.
    1. We need an independent inquiry into the shooter obtaining a Firearms Licence
    2. We want an accurate description of the firearms which the Government proposes to change the law on
    3. We need an immediate indication of how the value will be calculated and when payment will be received
    4. Will compensation include accessories and ammunition for the gun?
    5. Will compensation be limited to just the items surrendered, or will other compensation be made for things such as the following:
    (a) Already booked travel for events with the surrendered items
    (b) Loss of investment in production equipment and shooting facilities
    (c) Loss of employment
    (d) Loss of income.
    6. To please allow a reasonable timeframe to effect any changes.
    Here is the release from the Beehive in relation to the proposed speedy changes:
    https://www.beehive.govt.nz/…/new-ze...-military-sty…
    What You Can Do:
    Step One
    Sign the petition asking for Parliament to give this consultation the time it deserves:
    https://www.parliament.nz/…/petition...-livingstone-…
    Step Two
    Write to the people who are controlling our destiny; MPs, police, newspapers, television, and radio (we suggest you avoid direct interviews with radio, TV, and reporters as you may not be presented as you wish).
    (a) Email or mail a short note to these people expressing how you feel about the matter
    (b) Email or mail a short note expressing how you feel about the matter to Parliament. Using the following email address: gunlawchanges@parliament.govt.nz
    (c) Prepare a more detailed letter (submission) about the law changes. This note from COLFO has good direction:
    https://drive.google.com/…/1zy41PMTn...T-JlQg0…/view…
    Step Three
    Follow Firearms owners groups like the ones listed below:
    https://www.colfo.org.nz/
    https://www.facebook.com/colfonz/
    FIREARM OWNERS UNITED NZ
    https://www.facebook.com/firearmownersunitednz/
    https://kiwigunblog.wordpress.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/kiwigunblog/
    We want to encourage shooting sports unity as we are stronger as one group. If shooters help one another it is more likely that your preferred type of shooting sport will remain secure. The reasons and activities for which we own guns vary. Let’s stand united as Firearms Licence holders rather than dividing into different groups, in the hope that other shooting disciplines will not be affected.
    In summary, we want reasonable reactions that which will be effective.

I have also heard that the NZ Govt are consulting with the Aussie Govt officials who orchestrated the buy back in Aussie...………..considering what happened over there you may get sweet F A for the firearms that are confiscated.

Quote Originally Posted by small_caliber View Post
    I have also heard that the NZ Govt are consulting with the Aussie Govt officials who orchestrated the buy back in Aussie...………..considering what happened over there you may get sweet F A for the firearms that are confiscated.
    Well, it’s simple then, it’s like a bartering system.
    You ain’t gonna trade your prized pony for a bunch of twigs and a rock, so thank you kind sir, no deal.

What that translates into for the government is.....ok time to hand in your illegal firearms, and the responses from the public will most likely be “sorry, what firearms”
    “he waka eke noa”

Quote Originally Posted by Survy View Post
    Well, it’s simple then, it’s like a bartering system.
    You ain’t gonna trade your prized pony for a bunch of twigs and a rock, so thank you kind sir, no deal.

What that translates into for the government is.....ok time to hand in your illegal firearms, and the responses from the public will most likely be “sorry, what firearms”
    or the option of gifting it to an e cat holder umm sorry I gifted it to a gang member as its still not recorded and I know it wont get destroyed and he gave me more than what I wanted for it

For the government to save money they could just make all semis e cat, and if you don't want to get ecat you hand in for disposal.

They could make it very hard to gain e cat endorsement and put lots of red tape like must attend 1 shoot every month etc. Most people couldn't be bothered with that and will be left in a position of not wanting to spend the $$ and time to get ecat, not being able to sell the rifle because it's technically already an mssa so governed to hand it in for free.

By going down that road it will still keep 3 gun and things alive and enable pest control people to continue on but I bet it will get rid of a heap of rifles for little cost and the public will still think the government has done a great job so win win for them

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    For the government to save money they could just make all semis e cat, and if you don't want to get ecat you hand in for disposal.

They could make it very hard to gain e cat endorsement and put lots of red tape like must attend 1 shoot every month etc. Most people couldn't be bothered with that and will be left in a position of not wanting to spend the $$ and time to get ecat, not being able to sell the rifle because it's technically already an mssa so governed to hand it in for free.

By going down that road it will still keep 3 gun and things alive and enable pest control people to continue on but I bet it will get rid of a heap of rifles for little cost and the public will still think the government has done a great job so win win for them
    Will still end up with guns going into the grey or black market.
    They should have got it right the first time and put the mags onto 'E cat' too.
    Those fools work for the govt because they are too thick for the private sector.
    tetawa, Happy, northdude and 4 others like this.
    Use enough gun

Call me naive but I really cant see to many licence holders selling guns illegally to the "black market" even if they did have to hand them in for free
    systolic likes this.

Call me naive but I really cant see to many licence holders selling guns illegally to the "black market" even if they did have to hand them in for free
    I agree with you.
    You wouldn't sell to the crims.

so all those people who bought all gun citys stock bought it just to hand it in and loose money on it
    Maca49 and Steve123 like this.

I dont know the story behind gun citys stock but i would be surprised if joe public bought every single AR15, didnt Dave say in a public interview there hasnt been any panic buying???... More likely, being the smart business man that Dave is, he managed to "sell" them to some agency or overseas company to hold them until more information comes to light, or they werent holding much stock when this event happened..
    A330driver likes this.

Bus driver
    Quote....so all those people who bought all gun citys stock bought it just to hand it in and loose money on it

Northdude....kind of a low opinion of people don’t you think.Im sure ,just by shear %,s some will go that route,but the majority will abide by the current law until it changes.Personally,I would never contemplate such a thing,its doesn’t say much about those that would and just feeds the anti-lobby for their ends
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

Dont be stupid, thats a sensible option and so has no place in this debacle.

I think its a realistic opinion I think youd be living in the same dream land the polis live in if you thought every single person is going to comply with the law I bet there will be plenty of illegal ars pistols and other restricted weapons in circulation after this has died down I bet there is now actually the artiticle about gangs not handing their weapons in is a pretty clear indication if you didn't think it isn't already out there but this is only my opinionif every one handed their weapons in we wouldn't need new laws

Bus driver
    Please re-read my post.....as I stated there will be a percentage that go that route!!
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary