Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Knives Africa Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: URGENT : petition and submissions for firearms legislation

URGENT : petition and submissions for firearms legislation

Got this email today .

Hi team!

We have been waiting to send out this email. We wanted the rapidly changing situation to become clearer.

As you will know, a terrorist stuck in Christchurch using a variety of firearms. His manifesto said that he chose guns as his weapon only because it would give the most media attention.

Within hours of this horror the Prime Minister announced changes to our gun laws.
    The Police Union told shooters to stay out of it. The Prime Minister immediately seconded this thought and the media ran with the narrative that the 'Gun lobby' must not get a chance to 'dilute' the proposed changes. Whatever they may be.

The interviewer from the 'AM Show' can even be heard cooing "Excellent" in a quiet voice when a National MP gave her the answer that she wanted here.

The propaganda was total. The grieving public were sold a lie. The gun laws had to change NOW. There was simply no reason for having such rifles.

Then came the stunts.

A hero handed in the rifle that he now deemed too dangerous. The media left out the part where he was a Green Party candidate who hates guns. The Prime Minister immediately congratulated "All the shooters handing in guns".

"All" being just him.

Then - only days after the tragedy - Jacinda Adern announces the first law change with zero notice.

An order in council commanded the following:
    [https://scontent]
    No consultation. Just a dirty back room deal with God knows who getting their way.

As this was announced so was a total ban on semi auto rifles and shotguns in New Zealand.
    Parliament was to meet under urgency and formalize this in a matter of just days. With the bill enacted by April the 11th.

When asked if submissions could be made she laughed and said "Hurry".

A third round of additional gun restrictions is to follow after that.

All this before any investigation into how the horror happened. Even as each day revealed another failing by Police to properly vet the killer or to follow up on warning about him.

We did our best to open the conversation up:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12214145

and

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/111...hless-exercise

and to warn that the proposed laws could not only fail to make us safer but in fact make things worse:

https://www.whaleoil.co.nz/2019/03/t...-new-gun-laws/

As we have done in the recent past:

https://www.odt.co.nz/opinion/crimin...ative-impunity

But the fix was in.

There are five things that YOU need to do RIGHT NOW.

The first is to sign this petition.

https://www.parliament.nz/en/pb/peti...est-reasonable

It calls for Parliament to actually hear the nation's concerns before acting and only takes a minute.

The last petition had several thousand signatures but was removed by the host site simply because they hate guns. This petition can not be interfered with.

The second thing to do is to make a submission to the committee 'considering' the formal law change in a matter of days.

Just email here:

gunlawchanges@parliament.govt.nz

Don't be intimidated. Just say what you feel. Will a ban on semi automatic firearms stop a future horror?

Keeping in mind that the Christchurch terrorist killed 50 innocent humans with a gun - in specific revenge for another madman killing 87 with a truck?

Do you think the laws could push guns underground and make the situation worse?

Have your say.

The third thing to do is to contact your local MP.

Call or email or visit them. Be respectful but make clear that you expect them to do the RIGHT thing here. Not to just virtue signal.

A list of MPs is available here:

https://www.parliament.nz/en/mps-and...of-parliament/

The forth thing to do is write to the Prime Minister about your concerns.

Her address is:

jacinda.ardern@parliament.govt.nz

Copy in the following 4 people:

David.Seymour@parliament.govt.nz

Christopher.Bishop@parliament.govt.nz

stuart.nash@parliament.govt.nz

ron.mark@parliament.govt.nz

The last thing to do is check that your mates are OK.

Some people are having a hard time coming to terms with losing their sport and the amazing people that they know because of it. Lets make sure that we are all OK in the face of some pretty horrific online abuse.

Act now team.

The last week has been insanity on fast forward.

Lets insist that reasoned discourse returns to the conversation. Or there will not be a conversation at all.

Share this email with your shooting friends. Sign them up to the lottery.

Now is not the time to dwell on which politicians chose to virtue signal in the media or which shooters sold out their brothers and sisters.

Act NOW to preserve your shooting heritage.

Stay positive!

The Shooters Lottery

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Woody, A330driver, Cordite and 1 others like this.

Cool i sighned the petition a while ago im going to get somone who can write properly to help do a submission
    Steve123 likes this.

That was emailed out to me last Thursday, wonder why so long to for others to get it?

If anything the events do nothing to encourage a culture of compliance.

Seems to me to be a deliberate attempt to criminalise law-abiding citizens and deprive them of their legally held property for no reason whatsoever. One would have thought that in the 21st century we'd moved beyond punishing the collective for the actions of one? The more this continues to happen, the more instances where government rides rough shod over due process, the more they will continue to do it. The warning signs are all here.

The government has demonstrated it doesn't care about you, or your property rights, pretty soon it won't care about your freedom of speech either. It cares about power. Maintaining it and expanding it where possible.
    dogmatix, 300winmag, Gibo and 6 others like this.
    "I would rather suffer under imperfect freedom, than languish under perfect control".

The yellow jackets in France is a movement against the tyranny that their gouvernement is imposing onto the population.
    One day we might have to resort to the same kind of protest.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    The yellow jackets in France is a movement against the tyranny that their gouvernement is imposing onto the population.
    One day we might have to resort to the same kind of protest.
    OK, but only onearmed protest.
    Join COLFO - Be a represented firearms owner.

About 10 years ago the Truckies protested in Auckland about the planned RUC increases, it certainly clogged up the motorway system for a few hours, I sent my truck in to help out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    If anything the events do nothing to encourage a culture of compliance.

Seems to me to be a deliberate attempt to criminalise law-abiding citizens and deprive them of their legally held property for no reason whatsoever. One would have thought that in the 21st century we'd moved beyond punishing the collective for the actions of one? The more this continues to happen, the more instances where government rides rough shod over due process, the more they will continue to do it. The warning signs are all here.

The government has demonstrated it doesn't care about you, or your property rights, pretty soon it won't care about your freedom of speech either. It cares about power. Maintaining it and expanding it where possible.
    yup this is the thin end of the butt plug....i mean wedge..... once they push this thru they will whittle away at everything that gives us independence from the government , once they eradicate the deer population under the guise of predator free nz they will argue there is no need for centrefire rifles of any type in the hands of private citizens so out they go (under urgency for our own good of course)......once they have finished with the firearms whats next? they will have already sneaked thru the CGT so it will be on to climate change , the know they cant touch the farting cows so they will hit another of average joes hobbies ..... the car they will ban anything that can run witout a catalytic converter , goodbye all the classic cars oh wait outboards dont have catalytic converters there goes your boat you dont need to go fishing anyway the commercial guys catch all the fish for the shops theres nothing in the sea anyway..... you wont miss you boat or your V8 ......you dont miss your firearms we know whats best .......all food comes wrapped in plastic and you can get to the supermarket in your electric car you will thank us for it in the long run........
    nightowl52 likes this.

They will say they need the CGT to pay for the buyback

Quote Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post
    They will say they need the CGT to pay for the buyback
    well there is no point in my continuing to try and be financially independent and a taxpayer anymore they steal your stuff and money and all in the name of public good

When I submitted my views to the Select Committee via the Parliament website - the option to choose "I also wish to present in person" was not available to choose. Ie it was preselected to say 'I do not wish..." etc.

When I contacted the MPs' and Prime Dictator's offices I could not get a response from a human unit.

It seems to be well stitched up. I thought, wrongly, 'they' would at least pretend to keep the basic appearance of democracy.

its a little experiment to see how far they can push people to comply using public safety as the vehicle to justify it imagine what would happen if no one complied they would threaten you with being a criminal so ok im a criminal now what im still not going to comply they would have to rethink the approach and not push it so far until they find a level of compliance that strikes a balance they already know not everyone will comply that's why they leave the gangs alone they will never comply and theres nothing they can or will do about it

Made my submission. Here it is

I am submitting for the Arms (Prohibited Firearms, Magazines, and Parts) Amendment Bill

I am a 48yr old secondary school teacher.

I am married and have two teenage daughters.

I have been a an instructor for the Mountain Safety Council in Abseil, Mountiancraft and Bushcraft.

I am passionate about the outdoors, this was installed in me by my father. He taught me how to shoot safely, camp, and enjoy the New Zealand outdoors.

I have installed these same ideals in my daughters. They know how to safely handle and shoot rifles and enjoy the New Zealand outdoors.

My father taught me to shoot with an old BSA sportsman 15 .22LR bolt action rifle. My daughters have learnt to shoot with this rifle as well. They are accomplished shots and hunters and both have shot their first deer in the last year.

The way the Arms (Prohibited Firearms, Magazines, and Parts) Amendment Bill is worded this old BSA sportsman 15 .22LR bolt action rifle will be banned.
    The reason for this is that it has a 15 shot tubular magazine. This will be a banned magazine because section 2B (b) (ii) makes this a prohibited magazine. The magazine cannot be removed from the rifle, so the whole rifle will be banned.

There are a huge amount of old bolt action, lever action and pump action .22LR calibre rifles out there that thousands of shooters learnt to shoot with that will also be banned because they have 15 shot tubular magazines.

These rifles are not semi automatics and once the magazine is emptied reloading is a slow job. An insert needs to be twisted out and removed, then cartridges slid in one at a time. The insert is then slid back and twisted to lock in place.

I would like to see an exemption for bolt action, lever action and pump action .22LR 15 shot tubular magazines.

I also believe the definition of parts is too general

part—
    (a)
    in relation to a pistol or a restricted weapon, includes any thing, such as a butt, stock, magazine, silencer, or sight, that, although not essential for the discharge by a pistol or a restricted weapon of any shot, bullet, missile, or other projectile, is designed, or intended to be, an integral part of the pistol or restricted weapon; and
    (b)
    in relation to a prohibited firearm, includes any thing, such as a butt, stock, magazine (other than a prohibited magazine), silencer, or sight, that although not essential for the discharge by the prohibited firearm of any shot, bullet, missile, or other projectile, is designed, or intended to be, an integral part of the prohibited firearm; and
    (c)
    in relation to any other firearm, means the action for that firearm and for any firearm that has upper and lower receivers, includes the upper receiver and lower receiver, whether together or individually; and
    (d)
    in relation to any firearm, includes any thing, such as bolt carrier group parts, trigger group parts, lower parts kits, barrel, gas block, gas tube, folding or telescoping stock, magazine loader, sub-calibre conversion kits, and carbine stock

The definition of parts for a prohibited firearm are far too general. Every rifle has a butt, stock, and magazine. Most have sights and a huge number of rifles have silencers, or actually suppressors.
    How is the legislation going to differentiate between the stock for a prohibited firearm and a bolt action rifle that is not banned. What is the difference between the sights for a prohibited firearm and a bolt action rifle with a 5 shot magazine.

What is the difference between a magazine for a prohibited firearm and a magazine for a bolt action rifle that is not banned?

I understand the reason prohibited firearms are to be banned is because of their semi automatic capability. The sights will have no effect on a rifles semi automatic capability. Most stocks will also have no effect on a firearms semi automatic capability.

Thousands of hunters now have suppressors on their bolt action rifles. There is now even a New Zealand term for these rifles, bush pigs. Hunters put these on their bolt action rifles to save their hearing, their dogs hearing and to reduce recoil. I have one my bolt action rifle to make it easier and safer for my daughters to shoot.

How will the legislation differentiate between a silencer, that has no effect on a semi automatic rifles capability and a suppressor used on thousands of bolt action hunting rifles.

So in summary I have a number of points.

1) 15 cartridge tubular magazines for .22 calibre rimfire bolt action, pump action and lever action rifles should not be prohibited.
    2) The definition of parts for a prohibited firearm is too general and will ban parts that are on every single firearm in New Zealand.
    3) Suppressors should not be banned as they have important Health and Safety benfits for thousands of hunters.

Thank you for considering my Submission.

Wow that was impressive. This is my effort.

Dear Sir/Madam

I’d like to register my disillusionment and disgust at our current “governments” process and handling of these new laws that are being railroaded through Parliament in a great haste. It almost looks like it is pushed through without any thought and concerns of the law abiding licensed firearms owners of this nation, of I am one.

There is no question that the loopholes in the current laws needed to be tightened/blocked. Would of it had stopped the shooter inflicting his mayhem upon the residents of Christchurch..maybe. If a person is determined to see something through, they’ll try their damndest to get through.

Obviously the firearms licensing process failed upon this occasion for there were no ‘red flags’ picked up on ie resident in Canterbury and interviewed not at house of residence but in the Waikato...? Glaring shortfall there, maybe you might reinstate the MSC to be vetting officers again...

Compensation/Buyback.
    1: If the law is passed in its draft form, compensation will need to be paid to the value of the firearm and accessories prior to the Order In Council that reclassified ‘A’-cat semi automatics into MSSAs with no chance of the current owner being able to apply for a ‘E’ class licence. It is my belief that if no or little compensation is forthcoming, a reasonable percentage of firearms will ‘disappear’. As a concerned citizen and licensed firearms owner I have no wish for this to happen.
    2: Where is the money to come from. Already we have a middle class that’s in a type of poverty, nurses not be adequately remunerated, the “Kiwibuild” which is not progressing as it was planned...does the current government have a magical money tree..?? Or do you plan to raise taxes again on the already hard working citizens that are getting stretched.

I have being involved and interested in hunting and shooting sports my entire life. I volunteer my time as a Scout Leader, hoping to encourage and empower our future citizens. It is something I’d like to pass onto my children (if they wish to participate) and hopefully introduce my grandchildren to these pastimes. So they’re to be affected by the actions of one person and a bureaucracy that failed us. Knee jerk reactive laws are not the answer.

Potential Solutions.

Better vetting of candidates that sit their firearms license.
    A practical skills component.

High capacity magazines only to E cat holders.

All military origin semi automatic centre fires to E class.

Hunting designed semi automatics centre fires kept to 5 shots

.22 semi automatics kept to 10
    Other action .22 cal magazines kept to 15.

Unambiguous wording on legislation. Say what it means.

Yours sincerely
    A concerned citizen and licensed firearms owner.
    Craig Ballantine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many points you raise are also in the one i am writing. There is also the point about airsoft guns that use some now prohibited parts now being illegal, a spear gun maker who uses ar grips now makes prohibited weapons, and the illegal tube mag shotguns that take 5 magnum but 6 std length shells. Law should be clear cut not open to interpretation.