Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Knives Africa

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: What a phone call to the Police 0800 number will get you-

Exclamation What a phone call to the Police 0800 number will get you-

So this morning, I called the police's 0800 number, I got a nice lady on the phone but the info coming out of her mouth was not only in contradiction to the Order in Council, but also very revealing about what might be about to happen. These are the questions I asked and the responses I got:

Me: I have a Mossberg Pump Action Shotgun that has a tube magazine is that affected?

Police: Yes, if it holds more than 5 rounds in the tube.

Me: It does not say that in the Order of Council, where are you getting this information?

Police: These are the new regulations, the order of council is specifically for Semi Autos, but the new regulations are in effect now, see our website.

Me: What about my Ruger 10/22 with its currently legal 15 round magazine?

Police: The ruger 10/22 will be banned shortly due to its ability to accept a magazine of more than 10 rounds

Me: So let me get that right - The ruger 10/22 will be banned?

Police: It's not banned yet, but it will be next week.

Me: But what about the police video where the policeman says that it is unaffected?

Police: That's right, it's not affected now, but it will be next week.

Me: Are you saying the 15 round magazine will be banned and a 10/22 with a 10 round magazine will be legal?

Police: No, both the rifle and magazine will be banned.

Me: What about the SKS rifle with its internal, non detachable magazine.

Police: The SKS will be banned as it is 7.62mm and they can be modified to have detachable magazines that hold more than 7 rounds

Me: What about the SKS's with 5 round internal magazines?

Police: No those are banned too, because they can be modified.

Me: The Prime minister said that semi auto rimfire rifles are exempt due to their pest control status ?

Police: That's right, but only if it is not capable of having a magazine that can hold more than 10 rounds

Me: But any rifle with a detachable magazine can potentially have more than 10 rounds?

Police: That's right, there wont be many left.

I understand that currently only the Order of Council is in effect, this sort of BS that I expect from the police is worrying. The PM either lied or mislead the country if the Police are to be believed. What's next?
    Woody, nightowl52, Fawls and 3 others like this.

I think it is similar to when the guy was only charged with one count of murder.

We are criminals and we are currently on holding charges. Our full sentencing is next week.
    40mm and outlander like this.

I think you're right Tussock, The PM said what she said, so that the Anti's will be pleased and the Firearms owners will only worry about one thing, then when the media have praised her and some in the gun community feel some relief that they aren't loosing their .22 semis, she'll move in on the rest by stealth and the media wont report it.
    outlander likes this.

This bullshit is infuriating.
    57jl, Sideshow, A330driver and 2 others like this.

I hear you brother, I just want some clarity. I intend to follow the law as much as I disagree with it, so I just want all the rules in one document, so I know where I stand, and affirm why i would never vote for a single one of these people.
    veitnamcam, AzumitH and outlander like this.

I was starting to think my SKS was safe, I just put a new scope and sling on her this morning and was planning to take her out hunting next weekend

I was hoping to get an SKS to replace the AR

So guys are you honing to comply or become crims, you may be better to join a gang?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I tried this same trick and asked about lever actions and bolt actions that hold more than 5 rounds. She said she did not know at this time, it was only semi-autos and they would inquire with the police for me.

I am going to suggest that as I got through instantly, the phones are hardly running hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    So guys are you honing to comply or become crims, you may be better to join a gang?
    We are all criminals till we hand them in. How does it feel?

Thats interesting Tussock. That's very different from my chat. I spoke to a lady who was maybe 50 or so, I could hear them in the background going back and forth with each other trying to figure out what's being enforced.

Maca, mate, I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. If you're asking if I'm going to obey the law - the answer is yes. Join a gang? No, I have no intention and am strongly opposed.

Oh
    This is looking very enigmatic

Thanks for post @coltace

Quote Originally Posted by coltace View Post
    I was hoping to get an SKS to replace the AR
    That an SKS might be "converted to" take an external magazine, is way out there. Could be said about ANY fixed mag rifle.

What do you think @gundoc?
    ChrisW likes this.
    Join COLFO - Be a represented firearms owner.

Sounds like someone expressing an opinion, rather than stating a fact.
    rugerman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    That an SKS might be "converted to" take an external magazine, is way out there. Could be said about ANY fixed mag rifle.

What do you think @gundoc?
    Well didn't a bit of kiwi ingenuity turn a tomato stake (Lee Enfield of some sort) into a semi or full auto in WWII?

A used car, with enough work, could be turned into reinforcing steel or a firearm.
    ChrisW likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!