Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MaW
  • 1 Post By chindit

Thread: Where are we at with airguns in all of this?

Where are we at with airguns in all of this?

I have a safe full of powder burners with at least one in jeopardy at the moment but my biggest passion in hunting is with Airguns. I am trying to catch up on all of this and trying to get through the new amendment bill but its hard to find the time.

Can anyone who has read and understood the bill say if there is mention of airguns in it at all?

To be clear i'm not talking about the old BSA break barrel your old man taught you to shoot with, Im talking about PCP Pistols and PCP Rifles (AKA "restricted weapons" and "especially dangerous airguns") and also some semi automatic and bolt action air rifles and air pistols that have magazines of more than 10 shot capacity - from a skim read they may be OK as the bill appears to refer to capacity as number of "Cartridges" of which an airgun pellet is not.

Would love to hear opinions on this while I am trying to catch up!

MaW
    I have not seen any talk about airguns or any changes to the legislation that incorporate them. Thinking that one of my buy back guns will turn in to a PCP after it's all done.
    Mintie likes this.

Mintie Keep your head down say nothing post nothing. Its just a air rifle. Nothing said in the new legislation lets keep it that way. LOL
    Mintie likes this.

Seymour you had one job to do.

We have no chance at anything. They are going to railroad this through and anything we say will be twisted into the gun nutters section of the debate.
    You can already see it how they are now lumping all semi autos as MSSA's and some of the misleading "technical" talk is full of misinformation to make firearms look much worse.
    Some comments here are right that this is just the start. Seems to me they are taking the lead from Australia's laws. There all suppressors are banned as is any other rifle that looks remotely military including high accuracy mil spec bolt action rifles. They have already said .50cal sniper rifles are next in their sights.

When the firearms get handed back they will make a huge song and dance about the types being handed in and will use it as justification for what they are doing.

I feel particularly bad for the competition shooters whose sport has been wiped from the face of the earth in one stroke. Must feel pretty sick that the gold medal hanging on the wall is the last one they will ever get. As for other disciplines in target shooting well they are fucked as well and will be back to target shooting with 100 year old Lee Enfields.

A sad day for NZ democracy.